Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

335 tires

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2014, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOXTIMES
Do you rub at full lock?
Old May 26, 2014, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lol at the know it all

Last edited by vanilla2; May 26, 2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old May 26, 2014, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVOXTIMES
Because a forum is where you go get opinions from others no matter the information you already have at your disposal. It a way to reach out to people across the world.....it would be foolish of me to think that everyone one I know has all the answers. Of the guys running 315s....and there are only a handful....I posted the questions to see if there was anyone else....that I don't already know doing this....and more importantly their exact specs. I'm not interested in the "can you" aspect but more the how do you" aspect.
While I don't disagree with this comment or the underlying sentiment, it seems wildly contradictory with your other posts. If you are going to reach out to people "across the world", especially to ask questions, try to do so in a way that is slightly less arrogant.
Old May 26, 2014, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

I'm sorry, John, but I do not agree. I find his posting style to be completely consistent with the idea that one can and should skip the "can you?" step and go straight to the "how do you?" step. But, even more than that, I wish that folks would stop making inferences about the people making the posts, and respond only to what was actually posted. I would also suggest that folks make their helpful comments about posting style in PMs, even if I seem to be breaking that "rule" right now.
Old May 26, 2014, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If he wants to waste his money and destroy is fender wells let him do it.
Some people need to fail to realize that they are wrong.

(He is one of these people.)
Old May 26, 2014, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xXANCHORMONXx
If he wants to waste his money and destroy is fender wells let him do it.
Some people need to fail to realize that they are wrong.

(He is one of these people.)
I've got no problems modifying fender wells....which doesn't even need to be done with the correct offset/backspacing and spacers....but if that's a problem I run into ill look for way to fix it....not just say it can't be done
Old May 26, 2014, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Johnr352
While I don't disagree with this comment or the underlying sentiment, it seems wildly contradictory with your other posts. If you are going to reach out to people "across the world", especially to ask questions, try to do so in a way that is slightly less arrogant.
Was my original post arrogant? I only started firing back when I was being fired on.
Old May 26, 2014, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

.....only looking for helpful input....that's all thanks
Old May 26, 2014, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Let's sum up, then.

12"-wide wheels will have to have a very low, if not negative offset, to stay off the front shock (even if all camber is via plates, instead at the shock-knuckle connection). An offset that low will create a very large scrub radius. The scrub radius is what determines how far the wheel moves forward and backwards when the car is steered. (Other side-effects of scrub radius can be partially dealt with via, e.g., more caster, but the issue of fore-aft movement will remain and adding more caster will also create more inside-wheel jacking, so it isn't the ultimate bandaid, anyway.) In any event, a car with a huge scrub radius will end up with a large amount of fore-aft wheel movement; at some point you run out of stuff that you can cut out (both structurally and under the rules) and you stop being able to steer.

That point occurs someplace before 12", as I said back in Post #7, albeit a tad cryptically. tee hee

Last edited by Iowa999; May 26, 2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old May 26, 2014, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

^^^ The one thing that's missing from this discussion is that the car is a Prepared car that's being built for FP and possibly XP down the road. Some of the restrictions that apply in Street Prepared (or even SM), where the majority run their X, does not apply. For example scrub radius isn't really a concern because the suspension will be modified (in the case 335 and 12" are used) to move the strut assembly inward to create inner room for perfect scrub. Another thing too is that this is a temporary thing (one or two seasons at the most -- in the long run, the front brakes will shrink to accommodate 16" or possibly 15" wheel to run class-appropriate bias-ply slicks.

I am helping the OP with this car (we're actually building 3 cars for FP, so we can have a class locally) and will post more details with pictures when I get a chance. Things like wheel arch clearance should not even be mentioned, in Prepared you make room where and when it's needed. The OP should have been more clear about what kind of build this is and probably was after some inputs from people in his community, but some of the answers/attack here have no place in what should be a technical section.

This forum used to be a place where most (if not all) the national Solo players used to chat about setup, I can see why it is no longer the case. It's a bit disappointing though when we use to carry healthy and helpful discussions in this very place with people like Daddio, Winchester, Hoops, Berry, Grice, Riddick, Lau (just to name a few) and it came down to this nowadays. Maybe this was not the right place for the OP to ask peers for advice about race tire fitment...
Old May 26, 2014, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

I'm just trying to imagine Daddio or Fair answering a question that - as it was worded - boils down to: "do I have to run a lower offset to get 12"-wide wheels on an X?" I mean, com'on. Go ahead and defend your friend, but it was not the kind of question that anyone building an FP or XP car asks, especially not wrapped up in a mad-boi-skilz "I gots bodykit" package. Folks who build cars for Prepared don't talk about their 35 mm bodykit. They compare sizes of tin-snips with each other.

Even more, now that you tell us that it's going to run in Prepared, you know that any calm answer to the original question would have been completely worthless, since the entire knuckle would be redesigned. You really think that the people you listed would have come into this thread and then stuck around for that kind of nonsense? It was a complete and utter waste of time.

If I hadn't enjoyed it, I'd be annoyed about now.

ps. when you go for the small brakes, the kit for rally on gravel would be a good start

Last edited by Iowa999; May 26, 2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old May 26, 2014, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

Really mad boy skills? I gots body kit? I'm sorry I didn't think I was trying to be any of that. I thought these might be details that would have been helpful. Yes maybe I should have mentioned it was a FP build. That still doesn't excuse your as s headed way of replying to posts.
Old May 26, 2014, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe???
Old May 28, 2014, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Thanks for the tip. Let me return the favor: scrub radius doesn't always refer to how much of your own back you can wash in the shower.
Clearly I'm a new guy here (just bought my first Evo X after lurking for years and years), but this might be one of the funniest comments I've read on a car forum.
I see I'll have to follow Iowa's posting when I'm looking for a less than subtle comment.
Old May 28, 2014, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Unfortunately, you're in the minority.

But I have no plans to change now. Much more likely is that my VCR stops saying 12:00 ... 12:00 ... 12:00.

Quick Reply: 335 tires