Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Sway bar bushings

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2017, 02:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sway bar bushings

I just replaced my sway bar bushings, and seemed to be a pretty straight forward deal. Tonight I noticed that if I turn left right lock to lock, it actually slightly moves forward and backward. A slight amount like when the e brake is released, so a few inches. Do sway bars need to be centered or aligned a certain way when the bushings are changed? I can't think of anything else that would be causing this.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, not really. It seems like you tightened up the sway bar when it was under load - like the wheel wasn't quite straight. I presume this is for the front right? You might try making sure both wheels are off the ground, straight and then loosen the sway bar bolts, then tighten them up again.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnr352
No, not really. It seems like you tightened up the sway bar when it was under load - like the wheel wasn't quite straight. I presume this is for the front right? You might try making sure both wheels are off the ground, straight and then loosen the sway bar bolts, then tighten them up again.
It was definitely off the ground when I did it, but the wheels might not have been perfectly straight. I had to put some load on it to get the bushings off and on, but I dropped the load from the Jack when I tightened it. Getting a torque wrench in there is a pita even with flexible extensions. I was wrong about moving forward and backward, it's a left to right. Just seemed that way until I saw it from the outside.

With the old bushings I was able to move the sway bar by grabbing and pulling when there was no load on it. Can't do it with the new bushings. Is there supposed to be some left right play?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry for the delay. Play? not really, but it shouldn't be under load when the wheels are straight