Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Is anyone developing dampers for the X?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2008, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is anyone developing dampers for the X?

As I understand it, Koni has left Evo owners high and dry due to the inverted monotube design but I was wondering if any other manufacturers were planning a set of shocks that could be mated with a set of springs that isn't a full blown adjustable coilover setup.

I'm not sure I want to pay the steep entrance cost of coilovers along with corner balancing when they represent far more suspension than I would ever need.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm thinking BC Coilovers at $900 will be cheaper than Konis + springs.

And if you aren't going to go crazy on the races, then why corner balance? Just get them even and align them and they'll be great for normal driving.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
I'm thinking BC Coilovers at $900 will be cheaper than Konis + springs.

And if you aren't going to go crazy on the races, then why corner balance? Just get them even and align them and they'll be great for normal driving.
I actually track my car and I don't want some cheapo coilover made for nothing more than appearance. I should have qualified my question with this. I have a feeling I'm going to end up going with KW3s but I still think that's overkill for 4-5 track events per year.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Kw3s plus camber plates are gonna be like 2300-2500.

I ended up with the stance gr+pro ssd coilovers. They saved me 1k vs the kw3s and they had the camber plates already. Sure no seperate low and high speed settings, but for 4-5 track events a year that should be ok.

If you are somewhere where they salt the roads (or you want to save some weight) look at the AL+Pro -- al = aluminium.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Kw3s plus camber plates are gonna be like 2300-2500.

I ended up with the stance gr+pro ssd coilovers. They saved me 1k vs the kw3s and they had the camber plates already. Sure no seperate low and high speed settings, but for 4-5 track events a year that should be ok.

If you are somewhere where they salt the roads (or you want to save some weight) look at the AL+Pro -- al = aluminium.
Any major price difference with the aluminum units? Have you had them on the track yet?

I'm still hesitant of any adjustable coilovers. I don't want to end up having to adjust compression, rebound, and ride height. I feel I'd end up making it handle worse than stock.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

The Als are a bit more (100? 150? I don't remember... it put them out of the range I wanted to spend -- and I don't have to worry about salt here in Texas except on the beach ).

I'm putting on the coil overs tonight. I did the exhaust this weekend and that was enough wrench time for the weekend... plus I had an autocross on Sunday so I didn't want to have brand new coilovers on without an alignment for an event.

The cheaper coilovers (stance, BC, etc.) will have two adjustments, ride height and dampener (both compression and rebound). Once you get to the more expensive ones (Stance 3 way w/reservoir, $1k, KWs $1.2k + camber plates) then you start getting height, rebound, compression, etc.

With any of them you'll likely set the height and forget it. I think I'll play with the dampening at the track. I'll also change the camber and toe (which will be the biggest beating having to change the front toe before and after every track event).

After talking to a few people about it, I think that having too much adjustment (as in the Stance 3ways or the KWs) would just give me more stuff to jack with (like tire pressures aren't enough!) and I'd just end up worse off.

There are some very quick Evos with dampeners and springs (one that is repeatedly touted on here), but at a national level, coilovers are in 99% of the vehicles.

ETA: I talked to quite a few people on here with the BCs and I think that for 4-5 track days/events a year you will be fine with them. I went with the Stance because I liked the characteristics of the Pro+ a bit better (helper springs). Of course, they are 14/14 spring rates so they are likely going to be very stiff, especially with stock tires (that I need to burn through in order to get my Dunlops ). Take a look at the sticky on this forum to see the spring rates of other COs. I think that the Robispec version of the KWs are stiffer than stock KWs, so that helped influence me to a bit stiffer spring rate.

Of course, I autocross 2-3 times a month and am at the track every couple months, so I wanted something a bit more performance than the BCs stock offering.

Last edited by goofygrin; Sep 8, 2008 at 08:00 AM.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks, man. I look forward to hearing your full impressions once everything is dialed in. I understand that at a national level, coilovers are the norm but frankly, I won't ever be timed or racing so I have a hard time justifying the cost.

For what it's worth, Stance has the AL+Pro listed at $1695 on their website but I don't believe that is the unit with the remote reservoir like your units.

http://www.stance-usa.com/sus/index....d=33&Itemid=45

Last edited by MrBonus; Sep 8, 2008 at 08:06 AM.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Mine are the GR+Pro SSD, they don't have the remote reservoir. It's the 3-ways with the external reservoir.

I didn't want to spend the money or deal with mounting the reservoir...

Contact Mike at Touge Factory on pricing. MSRP is "suggested" but not "actual" lol.

It doesn't look like the AL comes in the SSD [yet], with the heavier dampening (14/14), they are 10/10 (which is honestly likely enough for street tires and more than occasional track usage.

I'd also contact Evo-L to ask about the BCs if you're interested. He's a good guy to talk about these things and he sells a ton of BCs.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

I'm putting on the coil overs tonight. I did the exhaust this weekend and that was enough wrench time for the weekend... plus I had an autocross on Sunday so I didn't want to have brand new coilovers on without an alignment for an event..
Holler if you want any help with the coilovers. I did my springs myself so Im familiar with the process.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

I've changed springs on my old car (Scion tC). The coilovers look a lot easier since there's no spring compressor in the mix.

But if you want to hang out and help, I'm cool with that too! Two people make the job go a lot faster!
Old Sep 8, 2008, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Mine are the GR+Pro SSD, they don't have the remote reservoir. It's the 3-ways with the external reservoir.

I didn't want to spend the money or deal with mounting the reservoir...

Contact Mike at Touge Factory on pricing. MSRP is "suggested" but not "actual" lol.

It doesn't look like the AL comes in the SSD [yet], with the heavier dampening (14/14), they are 10/10 (which is honestly likely enough for street tires and more than occasional track usage.

I'd also contact Evo-L to ask about the BCs if you're interested. He's a good guy to talk about these things and he sells a ton of BCs.
I'm going to continue to weigh my options. I do like the price on the AL+Pro units. I would probably go for the softer spring rates as I do drive the car on public roads too.

Thanks for all of your help.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 09:51 AM
Former Sponsor

10k/10k spring rate on the AL+ Pro is very smooth on the Evo X.
Not bad at all on the street with the setting on the softer side.

Seeing that you live in the East coast... AL+ would be a nice choice.
FULL ALUMINUM.

But they don't use salt...so, not too bad.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Touge Factory
10k/10k spring rate on the AL+ Pro is very smooth on the Evo X.
Not bad at all on the street with the setting on the softer side.

Seeing that you live in the East coast... AL+ would be a nice choice.
FULL ALUMINUM.

But they don't use salt...so, not too bad.
How are the 9k/8k? Do you have many of your clients running them for track days or daily drivers?

Thanks!
Old Sep 8, 2008, 02:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Bilstien should eventually have their HD dampers out for the X.

And Bilstein = awesome.

- Andrew
Old Sep 9, 2008, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Ok so in 15 minutes of driving on the unaligned stance gr+pro ssds these are not what you want if you want a plush ride . However if you want incredible grip with no body roll you are set! Oh. Stock tires are the weakest link!