Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Time for a brake upgrade, guide me!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2008, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Time for a brake upgrade, guide me!

At the event this weekend, I rode in an STi with upgraded brakes and I could immediately feel the difference in stopping power (some of it was the lighter weight of the STi). I know that his greater braking ability helped him pull better times since he could brake later and harder.

My pads are pretty worn as it is, so I'm ok spending some money on the brakes.

My usage? Aggressive daily driver, AutoX typically 2-3 times a month (although I have one each of the next 4-5 weekends). Track days every couple months.

I have some requirements due to my class in SCCA, I am limited into the rotors I can put on. I'd love to find a decently priced set of MR rotors, but I'm thinking that's a non starter. And the Girodisc 2 piece rotors are out of my price range.

I live in Texas where we don't get much weather below freezing, so snow performance isn't a huge concern.

I'm thinking:
- braided lines (Works or AMS [which appear to be rebranded goodrich?])
- speed bleeders
- motul fluid
- new pads (dur)

My questions:

Are the AMS and Works the only braided DOT brake lines available for the X?

Is Motul the best/most reasonably priced fluid?

How much fluid should I buy for a complete flush/refill?

What pads? I was thinking the Hawk HPS+, but I notice lots of other choices, and I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for helping!
Old Sep 23, 2008, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
#1-dont know-but go with AMS- Blacktrack and I both have them and love them
#2-its good, both DD and track-especially for the $$ for a bottle or 2
#3 I used 2 just to be sure I got all the factory crap out
#4 Girodisc Magic...thats what I'm upping too-good DD-decent operating temp, and pretty serious braking for auto x. Front and rears.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

You're on the right track... Fluid and pads are the cheapest way to get a vast improvement in braking performance. I don't know how much the MR rotors would help braking, but the lighter weight wouldn't hurt. I would definately grab a set if you can for cheap. I would consider getting a set of cheap pads for the street - like the Mu's or Hawk's and a set of dedicated track pads. Honestly, you could swap them at the track in 20 minutes. That's your best bet for maximum street / track performance.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Thegame
You're on the right track... Fluid and pads are the cheapest way to get a vast improvement in braking performance. I don't know how much the MR rotors would help braking, but the lighter weight wouldn't hurt. I would definately grab a set if you can for cheap. I would consider getting a set of cheap pads for the street - like the Mu's or Hawk's and a set of dedicated track pads. Honestly, you could swap them at the track in 20 minutes. That's your best bet for maximum street / track performance.
It takes me longer to jack my car up and get the wheels off than 20 minutes! Now if I was going to be at the track all day (like a track day), then spending the hour to swap pads isn't such a big deal (heck I'd do it the night before). But for an autocross, I don't want to hassle with it... especially since I can't get my jack under my car without rolling up on a board (combination of coilovers and tall jack).

Agency Power also makes brake lines and they are a bit cheaper. Wonder if Girodisc can make me a package deal
Old Sep 23, 2008, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

He did for me (pads, adaptors, rotors...the works ) I have Mu up front now, and noticed a def diff from factory, but when I hit some high speeds (120+) at a road track, I noticed I needed something a "little" better then that-hence the magic pads-if those are "better", I think they will be.
+1 on the 20 min to swap pads....I hear there is a tool out there that looks like the jaws of life but speeds things up a ton...and its red if that helps.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

that tool costs $250... um. No LOL.

My understanding from reading on here is that the magic pads aren't great for the track, but were designed for the streets for good stopping power with reduced brake dust.

I could give two craps about brake dust, I just want to stop faster LOL.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 06:57 PM
4DR
Evolved Member

how contrary, I cant stand brake dust.

If I could give some advice, the lines/fluid and pads are just about where you want to start.

How about looking into your suspension settings to see if you could pull better stopping times from differfent coilover settings. I understand the findings could be so minor that this mods/tuning could be overlooked.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

I don't "like" brake dust, but I'll deal with it if I stop faster.

Good call on the coilover setup. My coilovers are pretty stiff, so I am definitely tire limited in corners (and driver for that matter), but maybe they are keeping the weight from transferring as much to the front, thus slowing the stop.

Really though, in the STi with upgraded lines, fluid and pad, the initial bite and stopping power was significantly more than on my car. Maybe his leg was stronger than mine