Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Need tire help! Thanks :D

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2010, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need tire help! Thanks :D

Thanks for reading. I'm no knowledgeable person when it comes to tires, so I'm in need of some help.

My stock tires for my 08 GSR are bald. I'm looking at changing them and am rezally not sure which way to go.

Now: I live in Miami, where it's summer all year long pretty much. I also DON'T track the car, or AutoX. These are just for daily driving with the usual spirited driving every now and then and taking some turns a bit quicker to have some fun.

I was looking for a moderately priced tire (max $200) that would fit my driving needs. I don't need the most powerful ultra high performance tire, but I would like a sporty tire with good grip. I also would like a tire that lasts a bit longer than the stocks.

I had Goodyear Eagle F1s on my previous car and they were very nice, however a bit pricey for today.

I was looking at the Dunlop Direzza but wasn't sure if these are too much tire for the need.
Also was looking at the Hankook V12s. Thoughts on this one?

I went to a local Tire store and they gave me a good deal on Falken Ziex 912, however, these seem to be all season, as opposed to performance summer tires. Are these a bad purchase?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
stay far far away from anything with Ziex in the title if you want any grip at all. I don't think the Dunlop Z1 star spec is overkill because I'm sure you want something with at least as much grip as the stock tires. the Hankook V12 being a 280 treadwear tire will likely outlast the stockers, but won't give you as much grip. another good tire is the Nitto NT05. The Z1 is probably better all around though because it'll be better in the wet from what I've heard. I personally DD NT05's and love'em. I'm on my 3rd set, and about to order a 4th, but that's just me. the Z1's and the NT05's are priced very reasonably. I don't know what size you use, but in 255/40/17 the NT05's are only around 130 per tire.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

From everything I read, if the Dunlop Star Specs are in your price range, they should be perfect for you
Old Dec 27, 2010, 02:22 PM

^^Agreed. Starspecs are a great tire and don't cost too much. Plus I like the way they look There are other tires out there that have higher tread ratings, but at the cost of less grip. For the price, I'd say it's pretty hard to beat starspecs.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

dunlop star specs.
i run them, and absolutely love them
another decent tire, IMO with decent grip (not a track tire by any means) and good tread life is the kuhmo ecsta ASX, its an all season performance tire. i have roughly 30k miles on mine and still have 4/32 tread left. i think they were around 100 a corner. i used the dunlops for autox and track days, the kuhmos for the cars daily beatings.
just my .02 (actual value may very)