Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

TPMS question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2011, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPMS question

I've done some searching and from what I've read it seems that there is no problem taking the factory TPMS from the stock rims and putting them in my Rota Torques. Is this correct? The reason I ask if the place that I called for mounting and balancing basically said they wont do it unless I get new sensors. Also any input on what a good price is from a shop to pull the tires off of the stock wheels and put them on the new ones mounted and balanced? They quoted me $120+.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have rota torques and i used my stock sensors, sounds like you need to take your business elsewhere. Price sounds about average.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 12:25 PM

^^ I got Rota Torques too and I was wondering when they swapped the TPMS sensors did they have any issues doing it ?

Dealer wanted to sell me a set by saying that the best would be to buy a second set because they get damaged when removing from the original wheel. I guess you didn't have a problem from that side and they were trying to rip me off.

Last edited by Darklol; Apr 10, 2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 02:16 PM

Perfect, thanks for the responses. I found another place that will do it for $60. Do you know if the factory TPMS is the band style or valve stem style?
Old Apr 27, 2011, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

Bump.

Just bought new TMPS sensors for my RPF1. My question is the '10 and the '11 the same as far as the 315MHz. Got them at tirerack. i don't see why they would be different but who knows now a days.

TIA.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

the same sensors are on the lancer GTS wheels when i had one. i had to take them off to powdercoat the stock wheels and had zero problems putting them back on and having them work. they are fine to take off as long as you dont slam them on the ground or have a retard working on your wheels. usually the only question is will they fit the aftermarket wheel you're getting.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 02:53 PM

I just went through this whole process. There are 2 different sensors for the Evo X. The one you will need is determined by your VIN number. Both (I believe) are the valve stem-style.

You can transfer the sensors from your stock rims to your Rotas, but you will need to buy an "install kit", which is about $10 each - they are designed to break upon removal...

I wound up getting new sensors for my Rota G-Forces because I want to run separate winter and summer wheel/tire set-ups. The only downside is I need to have them re-flashed at the dealer every time I swap them out.

I had my stock Advans re-mounted on my Rotas and the sensors installed with balancing for $100
Old Apr 27, 2011, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bsquad
I wound up getting new sensors for my Rota G-Forces because I want to run separate winter and summer wheel/tire set-ups. The only downside is I need to have them re-flashed at the dealer every time I swap them out.
So did you just end up going through the dealer to get your TPMS. So every time you switch your summer and winter setup you have to get them re-flashed by the dealer? if so that's a inconvenience for someone like me who just put's track rims for one day at a time and does not want that light on when going around the track.

Old Apr 27, 2011, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by GoodTimes
So did you just end up going through the dealer to get your TPMS. So every time you switch your summer and winter setup you have to get them re-flashed by the dealer? if so that's a inconvenience for someone like me who just put's track rims for one day at a time and does not want that light on when going around the track.

Yeah man, $86 a piece (including the mounting nut)

Honestly though, the warning light is way less annoying than I though it would be, so you may want to reconsider installing them if you are just going to swap them out for a day here and there. I just didn't want to have to stare at it for a whole half a year...

The Mavis down the street from me claims they can reprogram them, so you may want to check if any local shops in your area can do it. But I'm skeptical if that is true and wanted the dealer to flash them the first time just in case there were any issues (like them giving me the wrong sensors).
Old Apr 27, 2011, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

I call the dealer and they had quoted me $122 a piece... what a joke! I might just send the tpms sensors back if its going to be that much trouble. lol thanks for you help!

Last edited by GoodTimes; Apr 27, 2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

im trying to figur out a way to run no sensors with no lights, about to build the pipe bomb method.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by disturbedfan121
im trying to figur out a way to run no sensors with no lights, about to build the pipe bomb method.
The "Pipe Bomb" doesn't work for the Evo X because the TPMS sensors are somehow tied to the wheel speed sensors for the ABS - after they realize they aren't spinning (which could take a while) the warning light will come on...

Companies (like Cobb) could disable the light via an ECU flash, but won't because of potential lawsuits since the TPMS is considered a safety feature...

@ GoodTimes - No prob man! And yeah, it is a friggin' hassle...
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bsquad
Companies (like Cobb) could disable the light via an ECU flash, but won't because of potential lawsuits since the TPMS is considered a safety feature...
It's not the potential of lawsuits that's the problems. It's the fact that it's federally mandated that all cars after 2008 have a tpms and if memory serves me correct, it's a federal offense to willingly and knowingly disable the system.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

and does anyone know how much tpms are if you would buy them seperate for another set of wheels ? so you dont have to remove the stock ones from the wheels ?
Old Apr 28, 2011, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by 04Evo851374
and does anyone know how much tpms are if you would buy them seperate for another set of wheels ? so you dont have to remove the stock ones from the wheels ?
Look at posts 9 and 10 in the thread

Quick Reply: TPMS question