Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

335 tires

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2014, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pictures when installed please!
Old May 25, 2014, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOXTIMES
Please only opinions from those in the know would be appreciated and keep your daft and doltish views to yourself.....
OK. Warning folks against putting 12"-wide wheels on an Evo X and then trying to make tight turns is daft or doltish. Got it.

unless you have some semblance of an educated reason why so many top Evo champion autoXers shouldn't run such a wide tire?
Please remind me again (of the names) of the champion autocrossers running 335s on an Evo X. I've lost my copy of the list.

Oh and btw...auto X is nothing but turning.
Thanks for the tip. Let me return the favor: scrub radius doesn't always refer to how much of your own back you can wash in the shower.
Old May 25, 2014, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Thanks for the tip. Let me return the favor: scrub radius doesn't always refer to how much of your own back you can wash in the shower.
Now I understand.
Old May 25, 2014, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

Someone should get this guy some burn cream from CVS because he just got burned.
Old May 25, 2014, 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK. Warning folks against putting 12"-wide wheels on an Evo X and then trying to make tight turns is daft or doltish. Got it.

Please remind me again (of the names) of the champion autocrossers running 335s on an Evo X. I've lost my copy of the list.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/showthread.php?t=241435

I'm not the first to come up with the idea. Never said these guys were running 335 I don't think anyone has...but 315 yes pretty sure evolutionary, evodave, madMax, and hazmat all have. And are all champs in thier respective regions...evolutionary at nationals I think.....would you like pictures as well??.

So bigshot Iowa....since you're such an expert of suspension dynamics please enlighten the class on how running a 315 or 335 tire negatively effects scrub radius and why you think it is impossible to remedy by dialing in the suspension correctly.

You know you can't just go spitting the big words you know to try to make yourself look impressive. Maybe explaining it well enough for me to say "**** you might be right" or "I stand corrected" which I have no problems doing....but you have yet to give me any reason why I take anything you say seriously. And taking the biggest word out of your suspension dictionary and making it a pun doesn't make you clever buddy. Be clever by proving your point. You have consistently demonstrated the kind of tool bag you are even if sometimes your information is sound...which it isn't always....your tact leaves a lot to be desired. You seriously must be like the biggest Ahole in real life....probably an attention ***** who never gets laid, so you need to flex your Internet jock muscles to get what you lack in real life....respect
Old May 25, 2014, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jdjones24
Someone should get this guy some burn cream from CVS because he just got burned.
And you....you should just excuse yourself from this thread since you have nothing of merit to contribute
Old May 25, 2014, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

12" <> 10.5"

8s & 9s <> Xs

Before you went all 'roid-rage, I was trying to tell you that putting 12"-wide wheels on an X was not going to end well. You can walk back the tire-width; you can point us to threads about 8s and 9s with 285s or even 315s on 10.5"s. But try to absorb the one useful part of the thread, OK?
Old May 26, 2014, 12:54 AM

Hey guys I need some help running 335s On my evo X. Optimally want to run a rim without spacers but I don't think it's possible. I'm thinking 18 x 12 +10 or +12. I'm not concerned about outer clearance as I run a +35 mm widebody kit all around. I'm more concerned with inner clearances. The only person I've seen come close is evo Dave but the thread wasn't really all that helpful. I've also texted Dave via cell for his advice but he hasn't gotten back to me. Anyone have any helpful input? Thanks in advance!!
Fwiw, I run 18x10.5 +12 (Weds TC105n) with 315 Hoosier and run a 25 mm spacer up front. Not sure you would be able to run anything wider without a spacer. Did you trim a lot from the side skirt area? I'm close as is after much trimming with the dremel.
Old May 26, 2014, 03:48 AM
Evolved Member

And no worries I've already been contacted by the cognoscenti of the Motorsports world. .
Who is this exactly? See, I was worried, and now am relieved to know you are nuzzled to the maternal bosom of the Motorsport cognoscenti. Phew, and so I have to ask, given your new connections, why post your question at all?
Old May 26, 2014, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Z Madness
Fwiw, I run 18x10.5 +12 (Weds TC105n) with 315 Hoosier and run a 25 mm spacer up front. Not sure you would be able to run anything wider without a spacer. Did you trim a lot from the side skirt area? I'm close as is after much trimming with the dremel.
The 335 A6 is an inch wider at the tread and at least as tall as the 315 (although not as much taller as the sidewall numbers would suggest). On 18x12s, instead of 18x10.5s, all of this boils down to needing to move the outside shoulder of the tire outwards at least an inch and probably a bit more, while also having a slightly taller tire than before. Do you see, when you stare at your car with the wheels steered as far as you need for autocrossing, any chance of this ever working? I know that you pretty much already answered this question, but some folks need it to be very, very clear. If it matters, please keep the clearancing rules for SM and below in mind. Thanks.
Old May 26, 2014, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

12" <> 10.5"

8s & 9s <> Xs

Before you went all 'roid-rage, I was trying to tell you that putting 12"-wide wheels on an X was not going to end well. You can walk back the tire-width; you can point us to threads about 8s and 9s with 285s or even 315s on 10.5"s. But try to absorb the one useful part of the thread, OK?
You still haven't explained why? I've played with the idea of using an 11in wheel because I can the have the choice of using a 335 or 315....but everyone I've spoke to has said for 335 12 in is optimal.

So please explain why using a 18x12 + 10 and running a spacer if needed for clearance is going to be bad?

Yes some of those names were viii or IX guys and some are current X guys....and madMax is longer an Evo guy because his car was totaled at Watkins glen. He is now referred to as Yoda on the Audi forums runs a TT with 315s. And by the way is my co driver. Max was legendary with his Evo viii and the first to run 315s back in the day and dominated the autox circuit . All of these guys who I have talked to not one has said using the proper 12 in rim would be bad at all....honestly you have been the only person. And it seems you deal with only theories and not actual motor cross expirence. I'd like people who have actually tried this or currently running 315s or better to chime in with thier expieriences. And more than that specific specs would be helpful....I really would rather not run spacers.....and I don't want to drop 3500 on rims and screw up the offset....currently looking at volk ze40 or ccw classics both have thier positives and negatives.

And if you look back in the thread I only fired back at you when you made a snide ridiculous remark...something like "should we tell him why he's not guna not be able to turn" I don't remember the exact quote....as if you were privy to some secret information cause you're so enlightened and I'm some kind of idiot of a noob. It's rude and disrespectful especially when you have no idea who is at the other end of this computer. That being said if you have something of intelligence to offer do it respectfully and you will be treated them same....come off like a d i c k and you will receive the same. Moving forward I hope you keep this in mind when you reply to posts from me or anyone else....being well informed does not make you better than anyone else and gives you zero licenses to act like giant *****. And if someone does say something stupid or outrageous your opinion carries more weight if done respectfully....aren't you some kind if college professor like your profile says?....it would be very hard for me to believe that you don't have some kind of god complex in class....btw this doesn't come from just this thread alone and isn't the first time I've had to deal with your crap....so I'm def not just flying off the handle with "roid rage" as you called it.

Again a reminder....please explain, in detail, why anything after 10.5 in wheel is bad.
Old May 26, 2014, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Johnr352
Who is this exactly? See, I was worried, and now am relieved to know you are nuzzled to the maternal bosom of the Motorsport cognoscenti. Phew, and so I have to ask, given your new connections, why post your question at all?
Because a forum is where you go get opinions from others no matter the information you already have at your disposal. It a way to reach out to people across the world.....it would be foolish of me to think that everyone one I know has all the answers. Of the guys running 315s....and there are only a handful....I posted the questions to see if there was anyone else....that I don't already know doing this....and more importantly their exact specs. I'm not interested in the "can you" aspect but more the how do you" aspect.
Old May 26, 2014, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

No, thanks. That's not how it works.
Old May 26, 2014, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Z Madness
Don't have any skirts and have an extra 35mm to play with on the fender....if I have to run a spacer so be it. With your set up how much clearance do you have on the inside? Do you rub at full lock? What coils do you use? What length spring? And how close are you to it? Thanks
Old May 26, 2014, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

No, thanks. That's not how it works.
Cool you see the exit feel free to use it.

Quick Reply: 335 tires