Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Rubbing on Coils

Old Jan 6, 2017, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rubbing on Coils

Hey Guys,

I have been lurking quite a bit on the aggressive wheel thread and my question was not adequately answered there.

Wheels: Enkei RPF1 19X10 +22
Tires: Continental DW 275/30/19
Coil overs: AMR Engineering Front Camber Plates rear stock mounts.

Concern:

My primary concern is regarding ride height + coil over clearance. When I initially set up the coil overs on the wheels I dialed them down to 55MM between the preload locking ring and the height adjustment ring. This resulted in a 26" distance between the ground and the top of the fender which was slightly less than two fingers gap between the fender and the rubber.

I discovered that this resulted in the tire rubber contacting the coils on the coil overs when the car was jacked up to resolve this I increased the distance between the lower and upper rings to 70MM +/- 1MM. This now clears the tires to the coil over and has slightly more than 2 fingers gap between tires and fender and a overall height increase of 1" to 27".

Reviewing the aggressive wheel thread I see that many people are running 2 degrees of camber in the front and 1.5 degrees of camber in the rear with the same offset and wheel size. My upper bolt on the coil over is currently turned inward for stock(ish) alignment specs. If I want to come close to the alignment specs others are using I am concerned my inner sidewall will get chewed up which is concerning.

Can anyone close in spec to these wheels including the offset set me straight on what exactly am I doing wrong here? Will clearing now at rest translate to clearing while in motion? last thing I want is the coils getting beaten up by the tires or the tires to have sidewall damage. I would love to go lower, but I am concerned about the rubbing issue.

Thanks guys!

Ps. I swear I searched the forum and lurked for 3 hours before I registered and posted this!
Old Jan 6, 2017, 08:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
If you change your front camber via the TOP coilover camber plates then your tire to coil clearance will NOT change no matter your camber setting.

If you change it via the bolt in the BOTTOM of the strut to hub then your tire to coil clearance WILL change.