Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

odd vibration and noise

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:14 AM
AJV

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
odd vibration and noise

Hi all,

Every once in a while when I brake going down hill I get a slight vibration in my steering wheel and I can hear the noise to some degree.
Brakes visually look okay from the outside. No feeling of warping or uneven wear on the rotors. I don't notice any bubbles or feathering in the tires. I get this at different speeds. I can't always replicate this when going down an decline. When driving on flat roads or uphill braking this doesn't happen.

Wheel alignment was done about 2 months ago and everything lined up within spec. Any ideas?
Old May 8, 2018, 04:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was having the same issue. I took the pads off and found that one was cracked, most likely due to extreme fluctuation in temperatures in my region as the pads had 3/4 of life left on them (OEM Brembo pads). When was the last time you checked your brakes and in what condition are your tires? Were the wheels balanced when you got the alignment? These are typically the things I check first when vibration and noise come into play. Shouldn't be the alignment as that will not cause vibration.
Old May 8, 2018, 03:16 PM
AJV

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo43
I was having the same issue. I took the pads off and found that one was cracked, most likely due to extreme fluctuation in temperatures in my region as the pads had 3/4 of life left on them (OEM Brembo pads). When was the last time you checked your brakes and in what condition are your tires? Were the wheels balanced when you got the alignment? These are typically the things I check first when vibration and noise come into play. Shouldn't be the alignment as that will not cause vibration.
Thanks for responding. The post is a bit dated but I haven't driven the car much. I'm pulling the stuff apart next weekend. I have new wheels coming in and it will be a great opportunity to check. I know I need dust seals for the calipers as they were looking beat up last change. My paint is also starting to flake and bubble off so I'm likely going to send out my calipers for powdercoat and rebuild from detective.