EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-259/)
-   -   Help Adjusting Camber on Oem struts (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension/546430-help-adjusting-camber-oem-struts.html)

Darkrider3 Mar 22, 2011 06:04 PM

Help Adjusting Camber on Oem struts

I used the wonderful search button and came up with nothing but info on coilovers. So I will ask the community for some assistance. last fall I installed eibach lowering springs on my GSR and kept the oem struts. This did as most already know gave me some massive camber, especially in the rear suspension. Down side; even with 3K tire rotations and mild driving the insides of the tires are toasted.

Questions:
1. can the camber on OEm suspension be adjusted?
2. is there a how to, or a read up on it?

Please share if you know something. I cant see buying tires if I'm not tracking the car.

cfdfireman1 Mar 22, 2011 06:11 PM

NOTE: Camber and caster are preset at the factory and cannot be adjusted.

Get some aftermarket bolts or camber plates.

Darkrider3 Mar 22, 2011 06:19 PM

Does anyone have a link for the mentioned pieces to make camber adjustable?

steven88 Mar 22, 2011 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1 (Post 9179485)
NOTE: Camber and caster are preset at the factory and cannot be adjusted.

Get some aftermarket bolts or camber plates.

where ever you are getting your information from, its completely false

you can adjust camber with the stock suspension using the factory camber bolts...you need to flip them in a certain direction to get the desired camber

the rear suspension can be adjusted with factory parts....an alignment tech should be able to give you more negative or more positive...if they don't know how to do it then you should take it else where because IT IS possible on the X...

Darkrider3 Mar 23, 2011 07:17 AM

I'm taking the car to a certified Mitsubishi Evo tech for the alignment. So I guess I'll find out how well Mitsubishi trains their techs!

cfdfireman1 Mar 23, 2011 08:10 AM

I'll be the first..

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by steven88 (Post 9180275)
where ever you are getting your information from, its completely false

to admit I'm wrong, in my defense I thought I had a pretty good source all be it nothing is infallible.

fostytou Mar 23, 2011 08:46 AM

I would make sure this is not a toe problem IMHO. Generally even with a ton of camber that is the case.

How off is your camber? Aftermarket bolts didn't seem to get me much on the front with stock suspension, but it appears the steering wheel was actually off a tooth, so turning it brought the two sides into symmetry.

Mad_SB Mar 23, 2011 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by fostytou (Post 9180935)
I would make sure this is not a toe problem IMHO. Generally even with a ton of camber that is the case......

+1 on that. I think I was able to get -2 up front on stock suspension and stock bolts. OP will be going the other direction but I would thing you could pull out 1* no problem.

OP:
Get the Toe as close to zero as possible. Also, just because you are taking the car to an evo tech DOES NOT mean they know how to use an alignment machine. I paid for five alignments on my VIII before I finally went to GTE..... they got it bang on what I wanted the first time. Every other place (including 2 dealerships) would come up with some excuse as to why they could not get the camber equal on both sides.

Darkrider3 Mar 23, 2011 01:47 PM

My hope is that I'm in good hands because my Evo tech used to build/race Evo 8/9's and other dsm cars. If he can't get it for some reason, which I doubt, does anyone know of any good shops between Cleveland and pittsburgh?

Please don't say buschur.

johnvan29 Mar 27, 2011 07:59 PM

I would love to hear what the tech says, if he cant adjust the camber on stock suspension then that is a definite discouragement from getting some eibachs and having the same problem...

GTWORX.com Mar 28, 2011 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Darkrider3 (Post 9181872)
My hope is that I'm in good hands because my Evo tech used to build/race Evo 8/9's and other dsm cars. If he can't get it for some reason, which I doubt, does anyone know of any good shops between Cleveland and pittsburgh?

Please don't say buschur.

Turn In Concepts is a great shop in (i think) Columbus. They specialize in suspension.

- Andrew

panda007 Mar 30, 2011 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Darkrider3 (Post 9179475)
I used the wonderful search button and came up with nothing but info on coilovers. So I will ask the community for some assistance. last fall I installed eibach lowering springs on my GSR and kept the oem struts. This did as most already know gave me some massive camber, especially in the rear suspension. Down side; even with 3K tire rotations and mild driving the insides of the tires are toasted.

Questions:
1. can the camber on OEm suspension be adjusted?
2. is there a how to, or a read up on it?

Please share if you know something. I cant see buying tires if I'm not tracking the car.

1. The front OEM suspension will adjust for more NEGATIVE camber AFAIK ("flipping the bolt"). The rears can be adjusted by tuning the eccentric bolt. Also to throw some information out there, toe-in is killing your tires, not necessarily the camber. Toe can be adjusted with more flexibility.

2. Absolutely!!! My faaaaaaaaavorite:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...eck-video.html

93HardTopTurbo Apr 5, 2011 02:52 PM

By "flipping the bolts" up front, I got my fronts to -2.27* (left) and -2.53* (right) and zeroed out the toe (with the ignition on). On the back, I got -1.12* (left) and -1.11* (right) also with zero toe.

Thanks!