Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

DIY Alignment Check (VIDEO)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY Alignment Check (VIDEO)

By your's truely... (No, not Jarno Trulli. Me, Robbie Nelson!)

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3
Old Apr 14, 2008, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

After replacing my tie rods I did my alignment just like this (well almost, I used a different way to get a flat surface). I will never pay for an alignment again.

When are we going to see a vid to set the caster?
Old Apr 14, 2008, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your video is pretty nice. I like the video on the coilover install too. Big props to you. I will be doing this on Sunday.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
thanks

Great info. This is the kind of thing that really makes a difference in these hobbies. I followed your vid, but used a laser level from harborfreight. Worked great, and checked the results against string.

The harbor freight level had a digital level meter, so camber was super easy and very accurate. No measuring the gap needed.

It had a laser in the end which shot a pane of a beam that I could use to measure the toe instead of using the string. had to do it in the garage with the lights off though. hahaha. Was accurate to a mm, because I used a clear ruler with mm marks.

No for figuring out how to adjust camber and toe while in the garage....

Thanks a bunch for posting that info.

peace.
M
Old Feb 25, 2009, 05:42 PM

Thanks for the vids, great info.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 08:02 PM

pretty good video
Old Apr 7, 2009, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone adjust their own toe?
Old Apr 16, 2009, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
Anyone adjust their own toe?
Using this string method, I set my toe last week. It's a little bit of a pain, but it's really not bad at all. The most cumbersome part is leveling the car and setting up your 'strings' around it to square it off.
*Note I was told to set your camber first; then attack the toe.

Once you have your strings up, it's all about measuring precisely.

Front toe adjustment - just behind the inside of the tire there's a toe arm. You loosen up the nut and them turn the toe arm to feed it in or out. Then tighten the nut back up.

Rear toe adjustment - coming in from the rear, there's a bolt near the center. You tighten/loosen it to adjust. It's kinda neat as there's a solid washer attached to it to push/pull the tire in/out. I know some people have had to shave that washer a bit to get more adjustment.

Front camber adjustment - first you've got the stock camber bolts. check the arrows. I forget which way is which. After that, if you've got coilovers you should have camber plates to adjust.

Rear camber adjustment - ?
Old May 3, 2009, 12:40 AM

AutoXer: I made and posted my video, then found yours like 5 minutes later. Pretty much the same approach, with the same car too..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8qFjAB67vk

I change my front camber before and after every autox and track event. I do this routine to correct toe each time. It's quite easy. I don't worry about my garage being exactly level though. The increased camber makes a HUGE difference. I put it back after each event because i commute 16k+ miles a year and like to save my tires.
Old May 3, 2009, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by boomn29
Using this string method, I set my toe last week. It's a little bit of a pain, but it's really not bad at all. The most cumbersome part is leveling the car and setting up your 'strings' around it to square it off.
*Note I was told to set your camber first; then attack the toe.

Once you have your strings up, it's all about measuring precisely.

Front toe adjustment - just behind the inside of the tire there's a toe arm. You loosen up the nut and them turn the toe arm to feed it in or out. Then tighten the nut back up.

Rear toe adjustment - coming in from the rear, there's a bolt near the center. You tighten/loosen it to adjust. It's kinda neat as there's a solid washer attached to it to push/pull the tire in/out. I know some people have had to shave that washer a bit to get more adjustment.

Front camber adjustment - first you've got the stock camber bolts. check the arrows. I forget which way is which. After that, if you've got coilovers you should have camber plates to adjust.

Rear camber adjustment - ?
Both rear toe and camber are by separate eccentric bolts. Loosen the nut (not to much) then using a socket or a closed end wrench, rotate the bolt. You're description on rear toe is not quite correct. It's best to have a friend checking the wheel while you're under turning the bolts. Once you have the bolt where you want it, be sure it doesn't move when you tighten the nut back on. btw: I highly suggest people "acquire" a maintenance manual.

and yes, camber first.. then correct toe.
Old May 3, 2009, 08:13 AM

nice info, great video
Old May 3, 2009, 01:03 PM

ah sum video dood
Old May 4, 2009, 12:26 AM
Evolved Member

This is a good Video I learned a some new things and ways and techniques on how to do my alignments thanks a lot man I like all of your Videos
Old Jul 26, 2009, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone that does self alignments have one of those special boards that measure camber or toe?

I'm looking for recommendations.

I've used the string method to set the toe, but looking for a good/easy way to verify camber.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm also in the phase of chasing down a good autocross alignment setting for my setup and do not wanna pay for so many iterations at a shop.

According to the videos by AutoXer, you jack the car up and then put the tiles under each tire. By doing so, doesn't the suspension get unsettled, therefore affect the alignment? What methods do you use to adjust the camber bolts and toe while keeping the suspension settled?

Quick Reply: DIY Alignment Check (VIDEO)