EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-259/)
-   -   Hypermax, KW v3 or Mono Flex with EDFC (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension/555886-hypermax-kw-v3-mono-flex-edfc.html)

agent007 May 14, 2011 01:11 PM

Hypermax, KW v3 or Mono Flex with EDFC

Hi guys,
I would like to change a suspension in my EVO (X MR Touring)and lower it about 1''. Also I would like to install a new wheels. I'm thinking about one of these:

1. HKS Hypermax III
2. KW V3
3. TEIN Mono Block with EDFC

To one of the above I would like to fit 18x9.5 Rota Grid - Hyper Black (5x114,3/ e20/ 73)
- but if it comes to the details - I'm an amateur.

Can anyone of you recommend me a good place that could take care of this ? I mean replace the suspension, and wheels? near to Frisco or DFW area (TX)?

ps. Can anyone tell me which of mentioned suspensions are most for DD. I would like to keep comfort level close to the stock, but also better performance on weekends track.

Thank you in advance and appreciate your help and comments.

lannym May 14, 2011 02:17 PM

All three will fit fine with that wheel size. Have you chosen a tire to go with the wheel? Are you going to run the same wheel/tire setup for your track days? How often do you plan to track? If you're tracking with the Rotas, have you considered the Enkei RPF1? They're about 3.5lbs lighter..

The KWs will be the most comfortable for DD and do well at the track as well. The Robispec
version is valved and sprung specifically for the X. The HKS will feel a little stiffer for DD but tracks pretty well. The Tein Mono Flex with EDFC can go from fairly soft for DD to rock hard for track right from the seat, which beats having to **** around with knobs on the struts.

I would say the KWs are the best quality of the three....

boy36 May 14, 2011 03:17 PM

I have the KV V3 one year and I am very pleased with it {thumbup}

agent007 May 14, 2011 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by lannym (Post 9318955)
All three will fit fine with that wheel size. Have you chosen a tire to go with the wheel? Are you going to run the same wheel/tire setup for your track days? How often do you plan to track? If you're tracking with the Rotas, have you considered the Enkei RPF1? They're about 3.5lbs lighter..

The KWs will be the most comfortable for DD and do well at the track as well. The Robispec
version is valved and sprung specifically for the X. The HKS will feel a little stiffer for DD but tracks pretty well. The Tein Mono Flex with EDFC can go from fairly soft for DD to rock hard for track right from the seat, which beats having to **** around with knobs on the struts.

I have not chosen tires yet. Just been thinking abut Potenza RE11 255(265?)/35/18. Also, any sugestions are very welcome.
The old wheels (stock) with tires (Potenza RE760 Sport) I would like to keep for DD. The new setup I want to use on the track.
Regarding Enkei RPF1 and Rotas I like how the Rota Grid looks like and that's all, but maybe you are right and I could try to find better(lighter and nice looking) rims too.

Thanks for your input.

lannym May 15, 2011 08:00 AM

I'd say 265 for the track. May have to roll your rear fender, no biggie. Grid is nice looking. RPF1 looks good too and weighs like 18.5 lbs.

agent007 May 15, 2011 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by boy36 (Post 9319068)
I have the KV V3 one year and I am very pleased with it {thumbup}

Can you please explain more, if you could compare them to the stock.
Are they louder, stiffer when driving fast?
Are they louder, more soft when driving slow ?

Thanks

WarmMilk May 15, 2011 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by lannym (Post 9318955)

Are you speaking from personal experience on the evo X or jut what you hear about KW for other applications? Cause everything I hear about the evo X for the KW V3 is that they're pretty rough. I know most other applications they ride pretty smooth, but KW decided to go pretty aggressive with the evo X. Robispec is a different story, but thy need to be adjusted right for a good ride

And everything I heard about the HKS (non sport) is that they're great on he street and are a bit soft for the track...

jimm May 16, 2011 07:03 AM

All KWs need to be adjusted correctly. From my personal experience, I would say many who have had issues with the KWs were because of learning how to adjust them. The stock KW spring rates ar the same 8/9 that Robi uses for his streets. No doubt the valving is different but have a hard time believing the stock ones can't be made to ride pretty comfortable given mine ride pretty nicely and have higher spring rates (though valved differently). Plenty of others on the BB that have said the are happy with the stock ones so I will let them comment on those I guess. They do offer a life time warranty and the others you mention do not.

If you want robi spec streets there were a used set for sale on this site. Robi also offers a lifetime warrenty on his versions so you should feel ok buying used.

Johnr352 May 16, 2011 07:00 PM

RobiSpec KM V3s FTW!

ForcedFedRS May 17, 2011 10:40 AM

HKS ride like pogo sticks as well as Tein. KW has a far better damper.

WarmMilk May 17, 2011 12:11 PM

have you driven or rode in an Evo X with HKS non-sport?

Chebosto May 17, 2011 01:10 PM

i think there are fundamental differences between European designed suspension vs Japanese suspension.

HKS/TEIN/Zeal/Cusco etc, i've noticed they go for really high spring rates with dampeners. My experience with KWs has been the opposite as they tend to have a softer spring rate compared to their japanese counterparts and spend more time with tuning the dampening aspect.. perhaps it might be due to the roads in those specific counties, but Japanese circuits are really smooth compared to the streets here in the USA.. european roads vary due to the different seasons and maybe this is a reason, i'm just guessing here..

however, my past experience with a different platform (my Z), the JDM coils were just too harsh for DD, even with the proper alignment and corner balance... but once i switched over to the KW, it felt much better and thats one of the reasons i went KW with the X this time around. the KW V3s have plenty of dampening for the occational track use and is very compfy for DD use. i've been very happy with them.

DXb_EVO X May 21, 2011 03:37 AM

HKS hipermax 3( non sport ) got reinforced rubber upper mounts that reduce harshness during drivng + reduce road sound , grat setup for DD .

REVIEW from ZK on hks coilovers :
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ermax-3-a.html

MarkM May 21, 2011 03:58 AM

Mono flex for tens are awesome, rides the bumps smoothly and feel great :)

Sir Kyle May 23, 2011 12:28 AM

^x2. Not sure if the EDFC is compatible in the X though. It seems like there is very little space in the rear. Can anyone confirm?