Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Best car alarm for the $$$?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2005, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best car alarm for the $$$?

I live in a good neighborhood, but I just lost my Valentine One, a stethoscope that cost almost as much as the V-1, and some textbooks that cost more than the first two put together... at least the ******* used a slim-jim and didn't break any glass when they stole the stuff - he also took my girlfriend's face-plate and all her CD's out of her car.

What the stupid sonofa***** wanted with the textbooks or the Littman I don't know, but I'm pissed; I don't have a garage, and I'm getting a car alarm installed this weekend. (Not going to do it myself; I work on people, not electrical stuff on my car.)

Any suggestions as to car alarms?
Old Jul 21, 2005, 05:33 PM

anything by DEI!!
Old Jul 21, 2005, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
don't leave anything visible on your car that might be of any value...alarm: 2 way pager viper w/ nice visible LED...also, try best buy, a week after i got my alarm installed for $420, saw it at best buy for $299 installed
Old Jul 21, 2005, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

A Clifford 4th Gen.

Eva01
Old Jul 21, 2005, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by shimla
don't leave anything visible on your car that might be of any value...alarm: 2 way pager viper w/ nice visible LED...also, try best buy, a week after i got my alarm installed for $420, saw it at best buy for $299 installed

I went with a Clifford Matrix 2.2 paging alarm and added battery back up with a 2nd siren inside and a tilt sensor to detect if it's being jacked up. I tested it out when I tried to jack up the car. It sounded just before the wheels were off of the ground. It also came with a mic inside the passenger compartment listening for that metal on glass sound. It's a pretty neat set up so far. It also has outputs if you want to add Clifford's GPS tracking system or other upgrades at a later time. I am undecided on that feature. For one it's about $749 to add it and I a bit concerned that they could use the data against me if I were speeding or something. All in all it ran me about $560 installed.

Dave
Old Jul 21, 2005, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoego
anything by DEI!!
yep!
Old Jul 21, 2005, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

anything by DEI!!
I once owned a 94 Integra and I bought a Sidewinder by DEI and it was great. I had the battery back up with a 2nd siren inside and it proved to be effective once at the Movie's as someone broke in it but didn't touch a thing. The passenger door was still open and the passenger side window was popped out of the window frame. I lowered the window and it went back into place. I was very lucky since I had a full system in there.

Dave
Old Jul 21, 2005, 07:35 PM

yep DEI is great!! and they back there products...I like some of the Cliffords too.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 07:45 PM

yep DEI is great!! and they back there products...I like some of the Cliffords too.
Dei products are best Clifford is owned by dei.

Viper series be my choice stay out of big chain stores there installers are usually
newbs. Best buy, Circut****y will hire anybody that says they can install. Go to a local specality shop there more experenced most of the time. You should pay around 300 buck for a good viper set up w/out remote start, add 250 or so for starter with immobilizer bypass for chiped key if you have. model is 350hv
Old Jul 21, 2005, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by auto addictions
Dei products are best Clifford is owned by dei.

Viper series be my choice stay out of big chain stores there installers are usually
newbs. Best buy, Circut****y will hire anybody that says they can install. Go to a local specality shop there more experenced most of the time. You should pay around 300 buck for a good viper set up w/out remote start, add 250 or so for starter with immobilizer bypass for chiped key if you have. model is 350hv
Yes I know this...let me rephrase that...Il ike the Viper and Clifford lines the best though...I agree with the install issues.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Dei def, The install on the evo is by far the simplest alarm install next to a honda civic.

Last edited by BoostWhore; Jul 21, 2005 at 07:57 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.directed.com/

I went with the Viper 350 HV for $189.00 shipped
http://www.directed.com/security/viper/viper_esp.asp

Took me 10 hours to install it. was a biotch and a half.

I was going to get the Viper 791XV http://www.directed.com/security/vip..._responder.asp

I decided I didn't want remotes that big, plus I didn't want all the bells and whistles.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the input, guys. I'll definitely make Dei the first look.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Compustar!!
Old Jul 22, 2005, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

I've got a compustar. It's a combo alarm, powerlock, turbo timer, and remote start. The cost was 550 installed. A friend got the alarm with the remote window operation feature but his was a couple hundred more. Great system but wouldn't reccomend with the RS since no one is willing to screw with putting power door lock actuators on the car.

Quick Reply: Best car alarm for the $$$?