Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Just changed plugs, car won't start??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2006, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eh, you used 3 old ones that used to work... and one new one that doesn't work... Ya the car is STILL going to run like crap if one cylinder isn't firing correctly.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

This is true. I wanted to rule out all other factors and using that bad plug has done that. I now have the problem of finding stock NGKs. The stealership is out, NAPA is out, Foreign Auto is out, Autozone and Oreilly don't carry them. Today is going to be very interesting as this is my DD. Who else is using copper plugs with no issues???
Old Dec 26, 2006, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

Are you sure you put your coil packs on right? I have seen people put them on wrong.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, i put them back on correctly. Believe it or not, I am actually a competant person. I broke down and bought some plugs from the dealer...at 23.00 a piece. I spent all morning running around town with no luck. I'm so pissed. What plugs should I pick up next time that are proven to work?
Old Dec 26, 2006, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
ngk: bpr7es stock heat range (copper change every oil change)
ngk: bpr8es 1 heat range colder(for meth users etc)
Old Dec 26, 2006, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

u probably got lancer plugs. Did they show you the monitor with the listings.
All autozones can order you the NGK's in both 7 and 8 heat ranges. Only takes 1 or 2 days.

If you pulled the wires off the coil packs. You might've switched them when reinstalling.

I'm leaning towards the wrong plug altogether.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Evoryder
ngk: bpr7es stock heat range (copper change every oil change)
ngk: bpr8es 1 heat range colder(for meth users etc)

i suggest BPR7EIX
just so dont have to change them as often
Old Dec 26, 2006, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jude
I now have the problem of finding stock NGKs. The stealership is out, NAPA is out, Foreign Auto is out, Autozone and Oreilly don't carry them.

http://www.lancershop.com/customer/home.php?cat=89
Old Dec 26, 2006, 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

Update: I called the dealership listed on the internet that is down the street from me and asked them if they had the plugs, they said no but that they could have them by 4. I paid for them and took a late lunch to pick 'em up. When I get to the parts counter the guy couldn't find me and didn't have the plugs in stock. After more investigating he found that the plugs were picked up earlier and sent to the store by my house as I requested. I explained to him that I called the store listed on their website and after some more investigating it looks like they ahve the wrong number listed on the website so I called the dealership by my house and they picked them up for me but I'm not going to be able to make it to that one by 9:00 (when they close). So now my GF is going to borrow a car from a friend and try to make it there by 9:00 to pick these up. I just know that by the time she gets there they are going to mysteriously disappear again. Good stuff. She's so pissed at me for this. Stupid Autolites...
Old Dec 26, 2006, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
go pick up some ngk bpr7es for now...cost you about $12 for all 4 maybe less...go where u gotta go till you get the stock ones you ordered
Old Dec 26, 2006, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

I just installed the new plugs from the dealer and the car is still running like crap. I rented an OBDII scanner and I'm pulling a P0500 code. It says that there are two codes but that's the only one coming up. I searched for it and came up with speedo sensor malfunction. WTF?? It's a crappy pocket scanner so it doesn't tell me too much but it listed some other stuff like 02 sensor, fuel, EGR etc. I'm not sure if it is trying to tell me that my 02 sensor is screwed or what. Any ideas?
Old Dec 26, 2006, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Stupid question, but did you gap the plugs? Never ever trust a pre-gap. I've found a set of four plugs that where supposed to be pre-gapped to have .010 gap difference out of the same box of 4.

Also check and make sure when you took the plugs out you didn't accidently knock any vacuum hoses loose etc.

Next I'd put the plugs in but don't connect the wires. Have someone crank the car while you check and make sure you don't feel air blowing past the spark plugs... IE make sure you have a good seal and getting good compression.

Next test and make sure you are getting good current through the spark plug wires etc. The OLD way was to just attach the spark plug through to the wire and put the electrode on a grounding point and crank the car... I'd recommend getting a voltage tester though designed for that stuff.

P0500 info (this is a cut and paste job)
What does that mean?

Basically this means that the vehicle's speed as read by the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is not working properly.
Symptoms
Symptoms may include:

* loss of anti-lock brakes
* the "anti-lock" or "brake" warning lamps on the dash may be lit
* the speedometer or odometer may not work properly (or at all)
* your vehicle's RPM limiter may be decreased
* the shifting of an automatic transmission may become erratic
* other symptoms may also be present

Causes

A code P0500 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

* The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is not reading (functioning) properly
* There is a broken/frayed wire leading to the vehicle speed sensor

Possible Solutions

Next, check all wiring and connectors that lead to the speed sensor. The location of the sensor depends on your vehicle. The sensor could be on the rear axle, transmission, or perhaps the wheel hub (brake) assembly.

If the wiring and connectors are OK, then check the voltage at the speed sensor. Again, the exact procedure wil depend on your make and model of vehicle.

If everything looks OK, replace the sensor.

*********** back to original

My bet is you damaged a wire when you changed out your plugs and your ECU is going nuts with bad data from the speedo sensor making your idle jump around and run like crap

Last edited by s2kguy; Dec 26, 2006 at 07:47 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old Dec 26, 2006, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

All I did was change the plugs. I pulled the coils, unscrewed the old plugs and screwed in the new plugs. I re-assembled everything as it should be and nothing was bumped or unplugged. The speed sensor is on top of the tranny, the speedo was working absolutely fine before but I haven't been able to test it since the tune up since the car runs like a two stroke. I have an RS so it doesn't have anti lock brakes and nothing was erradic before hand. I think it's wierd though that the car runs like crap and I'm not getting any codes to work with. I only got two P0500 codes, that's it. I'm going to look for the sensor in the morning just to rule out any possibilities and then concentrate on the plug seal. This is seriously the tune up from hell. I have the worst luck with cars in the history of bad luck with cars.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

jude ... dude,

I am totally inclined to agree with s2kguy on his suggestions.

I don't see how a spark plug change went bad like it did.

I changed my plugs last week with factory Mitsubishi plugs.
My originals were all gapped at a perfect .026 .
The new plugs were all perfectly gapped at .026 .
The new Mitsui plugs even had protectors on the electrodes.
Mitsubishi recommends .024 to .028. ( In the owners manual )

So ... with all that said.

I have an idea ...

One of your codes is P0500.( Vehicle Speed Sensor )

I would start by inspecting the harnesses and connectors
near the area shown in this link below... ( specifically page 54A-52. )
http://www.4g63t.net/2005_FSM/GR00000200-54A.pdf

Has the clutch or any other work ever been done to the vehicle ?
If so, that is all the more reason to suspect something in that general
area under the hood.

Last edited by Spec'd; Dec 27, 2006 at 06:25 AM. Reason: spelling