Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Afraid to Launch

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2007, 06:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Afraid to Launch

Hey how many of you evo owners were affraid to launch your car for the first time. Being your risking expensive parts on a $30,000 car has to be nerve racking. Am i the only one thats scared, and how did your first launch go?
Old Jun 26, 2007, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was a little worried ... especially after reading all of the posts of people snapping things. Remember though, our clutch has a restrictor pill that causes slip on a hard launch. Even when dumping the clutch, the clutch is slipping itself a little. Now, you don't want to go and drop the clutch at 6500 to test this, but launching at 5000 or 5800 with a little slip is fine. It does make you feel a little like Wylde E. Coyote being propelled from an Acme slingshot though ...
Old Jun 26, 2007, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by TouringBubble
I was a little worried ... especially after reading all of the posts of people snapping things. Remember though, our clutch has a restrictor pill that causes slip on a hard launch. Even when dumping the clutch, the clutch is slipping itself a little. Now, you don't want to go and drop the clutch at 6500 to test this, but launching at 5000 or 5800 with a little slip is fine. It does make you feel a little like Wylde E. Coyote being propelled from an Acme slingshot though ...
Lol, i cant wait to launch it once my car is fully broken in, but at the same time i dont wanna do it, cause **** will probably start snapping.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 06:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
43k later on mine and I am just now launching the car. No troubles with mine as a matter of fact the stock clutch is even still in it lol, well untill last week I put in an exey twin disc since I am doing a turbo upgrade to a 50trim but that is a different story
Old Jun 26, 2007, 06:15 AM

so you waited until 43k to launch your car? that takes some patience lol.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

One thing you have to remember when you do go to launch it is that the grabbing point is gonna be higher than normal. When you just blip the throttle to start from a stop the flywheel doesn't have as much inertia so it can be grabbed by the clutch. When your spinnin it to 5k the flywheel has more of a tendency to just spin though that initial bite and you'll just end up burnin your clutch. Make sure to adjust the clutch so you dont have too high an engagement point in the pedal.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
you have an 06 right? then you have the 2step 5000 rpm limiter. read up on launching techs using the 2step (and only do it at the track!)
Old Jun 26, 2007, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

I have launched mine twice, (got the car 3 weeks ago)... Feels like going for a roller coaster ride, but damn, I smell ALOT of burnt clutch. Mine is aftermarket, but I dont think ill be launching it really anymore.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EMonz57
43k later on mine and I am just now launching the car. No troubles with mine as a matter of fact the stock clutch is even still in it lol, well untill last week I put in an exey twin disc since I am doing a turbo upgrade to a 50trim but that is a different story
Don't get too used to your stock clutch if your doing a twin disc. Its a LOT different launching on a twin than the stocker. You have to be really precise.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

Ok, you need to remember that an 03 evo has a completely different tranny than the evo MR's.

Gears 4-6 on the MR's are weak, the 5 speeds don't have this particular issue... at least on the new ones.

Your more likely to kill your transfer case than gears 1-3 on the MR, or shear the teeth off of 4th gear on a fast redline shift.

You want to slip the clutch a little when launching to take the slack out of the drive line, not just pop the clutch.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 06:24 AM
Evolving Member

I was afraid as well. I finally launched it around 38K, but I doubt I'll do that too many times again. Lots of burnt clutch smell and terrible 60' times weren't very encouraging.

Things might change if I already had plans for an aftermarket clutch though. That rush off the line is a lot of fun.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 07:00 AM
Evolving Member

Wow 43k and 38k, I thought it was impressive I've gone 6k without launching
Old Jun 26, 2007, 07:10 AM
Former Vendor

Has anyone removed the restrictor? I used to do this with dsm's and it worked well, I'm just curious about the Evo.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

yikes i did mine at 24k..damn the smell of the burnt clutch made me alil worried..but its fine now=)
Old Jun 26, 2007, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Speed Corps
Has anyone removed the restrictor? I used to do this with dsm's and it worked well, I'm just curious about the Evo.
Yes. Stainless steel clutch line and removed restictor make a big difference, especially with an aftermarket clutch.

Quick Reply: Afraid to Launch