Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

would you buy a /this salvaged Evo?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2010, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would buy one but not for that much, then I would turn it into a track car.
Old May 12, 2010, 09:37 AM

hmm. my cars were always known to have the damage, and i had to take it to inspectors after fixing them to get the title, and yeah i got those stupid "previously salvage" titles, but never had any insurance problems. And there are plenty of banks out there now that actually do give loans for salvaged cars, atleast around here, but not for the full amount, they'll give like 50% or maybe 70%.. and yes selling is the hardest part. i hate it. So many get interested, but as soon as they hear the word salvage they run off. The cheaper the car the easier to sell. Having trouble with my wrx for 13k cuz not many are willing to give that much for salvage title. But i had my tibby for 2 years and actually made 2k on it
Old May 12, 2010, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
unless your doing a track only car or Not modding it. i would avoid salvage. Good to get one for DDing or track but if you think you can dump 17k-25k in there in mods and get more then 11k your wasting your time and money. Its true you hear salvage and run the other way as for the history. you cant get reg insurance on a salvage car i know. I was going to get a salvaged evo awhile ago for 13k but i had to call insurance companies that specilize in full coverage for salvaged. at the time it was 117 for full coverage. Then again no loan will be given on salvage from banks you can take out a personal loan but your interest rate is going to be extremely High. Either he needs to lower his price to 8k or you just need to save up another 2 to 3k and get a clean titled one.
Old May 12, 2010, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

Why not. Go for it man.
Old May 12, 2010, 10:28 AM

i say go for it
Old May 12, 2010, 10:40 AM

I'd have a mechanic check it out first and then buy it if it's not too effed up.
Old May 12, 2010, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

update.

i just talked to him. he seems nice.

so it was apparently wrecked and salvaged titled with 11 miles on it, at the dealer... he is like the 4th owner which also makes me nervous.

he said he is a mechanic.. idk? and that its solid and he checked it all out before he bought it, but then he said he bought it with a **** transmission... but then i thought he said the guy before him changed the transmission... ha i need to record these conversations.

he told me he bought the car with a **** transmission for 7500 but with the new transmission he has invested 11500

so anyways still not sure what ill do. Definetly going to check it out and see how it runs and stuff... any suggestions on things i should look for? Ill try to bring my mechanic friend but hes not a Mitsu mechanic and doesnt know about turbo stuff much.
Old May 12, 2010, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

my rule of thumb is i'd get salvaged cars only if its a beater
Old May 12, 2010, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by OZboyee
Hey im looking at Evos for sale because im thinking about buying one instead of wasting money on my lancer. I want a IX but i would buy this VIII if its decent... idk though how do you feel about salvaged ones? opinions please.

here is the one im talking about

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/1733174457.html

is the price fair?

thanks
It comes down to you. Are you okay with having a salvage title? Should run fine or need minor work. If your looking to own it go for it (check out insurance first). If your trying to drive it for a year and flip it, dont do it. IMHO
Old May 12, 2010, 01:49 PM
ddb
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoCop
It comes down to you. Are you okay with having a salvage title? Should run fine or need minor work. If your looking to own it go for it (check out insurance first). If your trying to drive it for a year and flip it, dont do it. IMHO
True with this, personnally my evo has a salvaged title but i bought it to keep so it doesn't bother me but keep in mind that something can brake anytime so better has a fund for repair if anything big happens. But i think the price is fair.
Old May 12, 2010, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoCop

definetly not looking to flip it. im looking for a dd currently then, a little further (year or two) turning it into a project/track car

its jut pretty old... ha who knows what theyll have in another year or two. im scared ill buy it then itll be to old for any aftermarket companies to support it.. but maybe im just paranoid
Old May 12, 2010, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

this is the evo we are talking about..... the 4g63 is semi legendary in its own right, then you put a evo on top of it.... the aftermarket support on this car will not stop, even if they stopped production on them now, trust me, the evo world is not slowing down

If it drives good and shifts smooth, I wouldn't worry about it.....

but i do have a question though, how exactly do you plan on buying an maintaining an evo and paying for the insurance with no job?!

Be careful man, evo's are no cheap to own, you maybe better off buying a cheaper dd and saving up for an evo...

Good luck to you though.....
Old May 12, 2010, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2003lancerevo8

this is the evo we are talking about..... the 4g63 is semi legendary in its own right, then you put a evo on top of it.... the aftermarket support on this car will not stop, even if they stopped production on them now, trust me, the evo world is not slowing down

If it drives good and shifts smooth, I wouldn't worry about it.....

but i do have a question though, how exactly do you plan on buying an maintaining an evo and paying for the insurance with no job?!

Be careful man, evo's are no cheap to own, you maybe better off buying a cheaper dd and saving up for an evo...

Good luck to you though.....
i can move home and work for my fathers company.. just not what i want to do right now.. haha so i CAN get a job i just am trying not to leave San Diego...

and thanks for your reassurance on the aftermarket support of the 8.
Old May 13, 2010, 01:17 AM
Evolving Member

Another update about insurance. I talked to my insurance and they have no problems (in the state of CA) giving me whatever coverage I want. Like someone said earlier, it's only difference is the pay out if I crash it and it's a total loss, they won't give me as much.

I need to go see this thing and see if it's worth it. More updates soon.
Old May 13, 2010, 01:28 PM

I have owned a salvaged title before, the main thing is to see why it was salvaged. Since he said it was wrecked, I would drive it and pay particular attention to the steering and ride quality. I would also get a good WOT pull (or have the owner drive WOT) to make sure everything is fine.

Quick Reply: would you buy a /this salvaged Evo?