Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

engine swap

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2004, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine swap

hey guys, i am planning on putting the evo motor in my 03 lancer. i was wondering if it is possible, and what i would need to complete the process. i am just puttin in the engine, no turbo or tranny
Old Jan 17, 2004, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

it is possible, with lots of money. do a search and you'll see that it'll be very costly and it's just better if you get an Evo.

and with the engine, it comes with a turbo..and if you wanna go somewhere with that engine, you kinda have to put in that tranny along with the engine
Old Jan 17, 2004, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

search the site....i'm in the process of doing the swap also...definatly not cheap...and you need everything..best bet is to get a full evolution 4+ front clip.
Old Jan 17, 2004, 01:23 PM

what about a more resonable swap like dropping the 2.4 MIVEC in a Lancer? Would that fit in without a lot of mounting issues?
Old Jan 17, 2004, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by batpwnsj00
what about a more resonable swap like dropping the 2.4 MIVEC in a Lancer? Would that fit in without a lot of mounting issues?
that'll probably be a lot easier, say like a B16 into a civic. I have yet to hear of someone doing this tho.
Old Jan 17, 2004, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

most likely...but getting that motor would be very hard..and it will most likely be very expensive. not like getting an evo motor isn't hard lol...or expensive..heheh...no matter what it will cost a looooot of cash.
Old Jan 17, 2004, 01:28 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's the old answer...

Brought you you by Lan Evo
Disclaimer: This FAQ is not intended to be the end-all for all discussions; rather, I would like this to be a helpful foundation for people who have this project in mind. Please keep in mind that all this info was gather during my long research on this topic. They might not be 100% technically correct and I claim no responsibility if any damage was caused. Anyway, Enjoy.

Set a goal: Like ALL projects, you should set a goal BEFORE you really take action. It would save you tons of time and money if you set realistic and achievable goal. You should ask yourself what kind of performance/reliability level you’re trying to achieve, do I want AWD/FWD, how much can I afford (don’t completely empty your pocket for one project, what if something fails and you have to get extra parts?) and how long can I be without my car? A lot of time people just think, “I want to convert my Mirage/Lancer into an EVO,” without realizing what it takes and how difficult it is.

First things first: which model’s components will fit my car?

The JDM Lancer (non-EVO model), AKA Mirage in US, or Virage in Taiwan share approximately 95% parts between them. Chassis-wise, they should be identical. I understand that most of us would be more interested in EVO components than regular Lancer’s parts, so I will jump right into it. All EVO shares the chassis to its respective base Lancer; however, with addition of numerous amount of reinforcement that were not present on the base Lancer. (For example, the EVO VII has 200 more spot welds than the regular model on the doors alone to beef up the body). Having said that, it is very unlikely you can do a “complete” EVO replica by only using Mirage/Lancer body and swap in EVO component. Body strength is one thing that can’t be done by average tuners (unless you’re blessed to be close to some of the elite Rally shops in the country).

Long story short, for the 93-96 4th gen US Mirage, EVO I, II and III components will most likely to fit. However, the chassis code changed from EVO I to II and all three EVOs’ engine are slight different. Since most people here either own a 5th gen Mirage or new Lancer, I will not go any further on this.

For the 5th Gen Mirage, it will be relatively easiest to swap in EVO IV (CN9A) to EVO V, VI or TME (CP9A) components as compared to previous generations EVOs. EVO V, VI & TME engines have a different 16G turbo charger (larger outlet diameter), lower compression ratio, ECUs and larger IC than the EVO IV with water spraying system. The suspensions system are almost all different amongst EVO IV to TME.

US Lancer is relatively new, however, I assumed other that the engine bay, it share little parts with the previous Mirage.

What parts do I need?

This is why I keep stretching on the importance of the planning stage and having a goal in your project. You won’t know what to get unless you know what you’re trying to achieve.

Regardless of the differences between all EVO’s (from IV to TME), if you’re trying to do an AWD swap. You will need an engine (of course), with respective tranny (remember the difference b/t generations? They have different gear set as well), ECU, sensors, wiring, front and rear transfer cases with center differential, drive shaft, all four axles, EVO suspensions components (steel parts for EVO IV, aluminum for EVO V+), braking system (regular 4-pot for EVO IV, Brembo system from EVO V+), upgraded fuel system (pump, fuel rail and injectors) for significantly increase need of fuel.

Here is the fun part, since the regular Mirage/Lancer is made for FWD, so the rear transfer case will not bolt right in place without major body modifications. Therefore, if you’re planning for AWD conversion, you will need to get an EVO or GSR AWD rear floor panel in order to swap this part in place of the original panel. That means cutting the car’s body rear floor panel and swapping in an AWD panel with AWD fuel tank (with the center hub for the drive shaft).

On top of that, you will need EVO body panels OR body kits (fenders, hood, and bumpers) if you want the EVO look as well.

What Problems will I encounter?

This swap is not for average Joe and I strongly recommend this project performed by tuners with expertise in EVO/Mitsubishi with proven quality.

There is one local shop that I know the owner personally that is trying to perform this swap without success. They have the engine, tranny and some other parts. Upon further inquiry, he reveals that this project was belonged to another shops in Texas that they try to put it off for 2 years and fail. The major problem is that they don’t have ALL the parts at the point they started the installation. To name couple problems, they do not realize the EVO engine has one more mount (tranny) compares to the regular Lancer’s one. Therefore, they will have to custom made it. In addition, they do not realize the rear floor panel does not fit the EVO AWD system and they do not know where to get one. (I knew the source, but I don’t feel like telling that guys since I hated him).

All in all, if it were my money and my project, I would rather save up more money and wait a bit longer in order to have some quality shops do this swap for me. To name a few, TAD motorsports, Road Race Engineering or Vermont motorsports.

How much cost should I expect?

You got what you paid for. I am not saying expensive part source is always better; however, that should be a good indicator. I have seen damaged EVOs priced from $3,000 for a complete car to $15,000 ones. You should really research on the source of the parts to see if they’re valid and creditable.

I do not feel like giving price estimates on the low side of the chart, since YOU WILL ALWAYS HAVE UNEXPECTED PROBLEMS IN PROJECT. I’d rather price myself higher to save myself from future trouble. Remember to set realistic goals? Don’t expect to complete this project for less than $10,000 USD even if you’re a hell of a welder/mechanic. (I know couple people will definitely jump on this, but I know what I’m talking about). I would rather spend $15,000 that will get me something than $8,000 that will get me nowhere but having headaches.

Brought to you by Lan Evo.

Addendum: 1.5L mirages of all years and 1.8L mirages from 93-96 have distributors. 1.6L turbo mirages and 1.8L mirages from 97-2002 have DIS.

Brought to you by dude in a mirage.

What about if I want to swap in a 4G63 (turbo) and keep it FWD? What is need and how it can be done?

The FWD 4G63T was only available in 1st/2nd Gen DSM (US exclusive models), not on JDM EVOs. The engine configuration for the DSM’s 4G63T with transmission is totally different than that of the 5G Mirage and the new Lancer. The engine on the US-spec DSM is "turned" 180 degree compared to the Lancer/5G Mirage/Lancer EVO IV+ engine. The 1/2G 4G63T (engine only) has the same configuration and exterior dimension of EVO I-III ones.

If you're determined to have the DSM's FWD engine to work in a 5G Mirage/new US Lancer, prepare to re-weld all the motor and transmission mounts and relocate most of the components in the engine bay then.

On the other hand, if you’re looking to use an EVO IV+ (CN9A) 4G63T and use a FWD transmission with it, you still have to determine what transmission to use. From a source that has extensive knowledge and expertise with Mitsu/DSM/EVOs (I would not like to put name on this one, since it might create problems for their business), you can weld the center differential “dead” and keep using the transmission that comes with the engine. However, you will need a new set of front axles and EVO’s front suspension to match that.

An alternative will be using the 1.8 5G Mirage transmission. It should bolt up with minimal modification. However, this transmission is made to handle much less power and torque. If you elect to use this gearbox, you’re at your own risk of breaking the transmission due to substantially increased torque (from ~100 lb/ft to >250 lb/ft)

I have read in magazines about swapping a DSM’s 4G63T into a 5G Mirage, why can’t I do it to the new Lancer?

First of all, you’re reading about Sean Glazer’s 5G Mirage coupe with a Talon’s Tsi engine that’s FWD. He basically took out everything from the engine bay, re-weld every single mount and relocated every vital component. He said and I quote, “it’s highly un-feasible for a daily driver” and he finally gave up on this vehicle and stop racing with it.

You said the DSM engine is similar to the EVO I-III ones, what US model will be able to accept this engine?

The 3rd Gen Mirage/Colt/Summit from 89-92 (not sure on the 89 part), and 4th Gen Mirage/Colt/Summit (93-96) should be capable of receiving such transplant. For 4G, if you're looking for a sedan (coupe has different front end), they were only available in 93-94.

There are many 3rd Gen owners out there performed such swap with a FWD 4G63T already. Since the turbo Mirage came with 4G61T, which is fairly similar in terms of exterior dimension and configuration. This operation is relatively easy to perform.

On the other hand, I would assume it would be easy (relatively speaking compared to a 5th Gen) to do a 4G63T swap in to 4th Gen Mirage/Colt/Summit. Since the 4G Mirage has the same engine configuration compared to 1/2G DSM and parts will be easier to find with all those DSMs out there.

What about a 4g93T? What exactly is this engine?

A 4G93T is a 1.8 turbo engine that was on the Lancer GSR and put out ~195hp. The most common one is found on the 93-96-body style Lancer. The GSR is also AWD. The engine dimension and configuration is very close to the 1/2G DSM 4G63T and the EVO I-III engine.

For the 97-01 body style, there were only very few GSR were made (JDM only) and the 4G93T output was increased for 5-10 hp (not sure how much exactly). The engine, like the EVO IV+ 4G63T, "turned" 180 degree to fit into the CN9A chassis (5G Mirage)

It's harded to find a 4G93T with AWD to fit the 5G Mirage/new Lancer than finding an EVO IV+ engine (I can locate some EVO engines, but can't find a SINGLE 4G93T with tranny, AWD and ECU). Price for this engine would be easily in the same ballpark as compared to the EVO engine.

Why do Mitsubishi have to change the engine configuration from EVO III to EVO IV? (“Turning” 180 degree)

Basically, such change was made to improve vehicle balance. The older 4G63T in the EVO I-III is located in front of the front axle; thus putting more weight on the vehicle’s nose. Therefore, the vehicle has more understeer characteristic compares to the latter generations EVO.

Since Mitsubishi was developing a completely new chassis in 95-96, so they can afford to completely revamp the whole car in every detail. Therefore, they "turned" the engine 180 degree (and now intake side becomes exhaust side) and place it behind the front axle to achieve better F/R weight distribution ratio. With the addition of AYC, they did eliminate most of the understeer since EVO IV.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/an...p?s=&forumid=9
Old Jan 17, 2004, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ha! run a search. that queston has been asked since back in 2001 when the damn car came out. its not worth it. taking the mivec out of a totaled ralliart is another thing that had probably not been explored as extensive. and the "evo" engine is also a talon engine laser engine galant engine eclipse blah blah blah........the main difference to the evo and as far as i know the only difference is the exhuast manifold. besides the turbo being ts.
Old May 9, 2011, 07:39 PM

How about adding 4b11 evo x externals to the regular 08 lancer

Originally Posted by joseph k
ha! run a search. that queston has been asked since back in 2001 when the damn car came out. its not worth it. taking the mivec out of a totaled ralliart is another thing that had probably not been explored as extensive. and the "evo" engine is also a talon engine laser engine galant engine eclipse blah blah blah........the main difference to the evo and as far as i know the only difference is the exhuast manifold. besides the turbo being ts.

Hi I was wondering if I could add CP Pistons Forged Pistons Mitsubishi 4B11 / EVO X 3.425 (87.0mm) Bore / +0.040(+1.0mm) Size / 9.0:1 Compression Ratio. To my 08 lancer es 4b11 motor would much appreciate it if some one can help me out on this question.