Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Did your first Evo live up to your expectations?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did your first Evo live up to your expectations?

Im only a few months away from buying an evo.. Im curious if your first evo lived up to your expectations? and what you initially thought?
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went from a modded VW GTI to the evo. I had never even been for a ride in an evo but always wanted one. I was shocked how fast and how well it handled on the test drive. Two years later it still amazes me!
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:11 PM
Evolving Member

Actually no. My talon was faster then the evo when I first bought it, and so is my truck. But both do have more mods then the evo, and the evo had problems that wasn't apparent until after the second week.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 06:11 AM
Evolving Member

Definitely above my expectations. I wanted one since I was 16 and finally got it at 21. Surprises me every day! Its like a new car with each mod.

Definitely has been one hell of a hit in the wallet though...
Old Oct 25, 2013, 06:23 AM

Coming from a modded s2000, I can say the evo has its pro's and con's. I'll always love the way the s2 handles, but the evo makes power just so easy compared to it.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

It met and exceeded my expectations, it still surprises me now and then. I didn't have a baseline or any real set expectations to compare it too because I had never ridden in anything awd turbo before. But I did know it was a capable car but I didn't realize how great it was till I carved some road after getting it home. Tha'ts when my mind started spinning at what the evo was able to do.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First evo is my current evo and it still surprises me when I drive it sometimes. With this cool weather it spins 4 at 40mph which is fun
Old Oct 25, 2013, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
8+ years and it surpasses my expectations everyday. Never had a car that I've owned this long and I will never sell it.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

I had this car for a minute after I brought it back from the dead. After so much blood,sweat,and after dealing with ****ty shops and doing my own work and going to other shops that do better work man time of my life with this car.

I used to own a Honda and an Srt4 neon they did their jobs but this car is hefty when it comes to repairs but... its worth more than its own weight in gold. I'm never going to sell mine. it has gotten me through rain,snow and rainy conditions safely while other struggle to even keep up.

Sure people crash these cars up all day from stupidity beyond their control but I don't think the drivers choose their cars I think its the cars that choose their drivers.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

OP, do you have your mind set on which Evo you're planning to buy?

I bought my Evo on a spontaneous decision - best one I've ever made! I was dead set to buy an STi, but figured I'll go look at what the Evo is before I pull the trigger. I was never a Mitsu guy before this...always a Honda guy. I wanted a WW 9 MR which had just come out back in Nov. of '05, but I couldn't get financed for one. The dealership had one silver '05 VIII GSR left in stock, & a used '03 white VIII. I drove both, but didn't like the fact that the '05 had leather, plus I preffered white. The amount I paid for my '03 was just a hair below what I could've bought the '05 for, but the white exterior & cloth Recaro's justified the price for me.

After I bought my '03, I started learning about Evo's.. Couple things that initially bummed me out a bit about the decision to buy the '03 over the '05 was that the '05's came with more power, had a front LSD, & had the ACD system. Over the years since, I've installed an OEM front LSD in mine, so that's all good.. As far as the ACD system goes, I actually am happier that my Evo DOESN'T have ACD!

It's my opinion, of coarse, but I believe that the USDM '03-'04 Evo 8 is the last great fully mechanical "analog" Evo that was built. If you talk to other Evo guys that live in Japan, UK, Australia, NZ, etc. where they have older Evo's (1-6), they swear up & down that the newer Evo's (7+) just aren't the same...not as 'raw'. The ACD system I believe does its part to contribute to the degredation of that 'raw' feeling. Sure, it attempts to make the car faster by manipulating power distribution, but by its involvement, there is a certain unavoidable & inevitable disconnect that is developed as a byproduct of that involvement. With the Evo X, I think that disconnected feeling gets even worse with the addition of AYC to the ACD.

Understand that I don't love the 9's & X's any less than I do, but as a guy who absolutely loves driving, I feel more genuine driving pleasure from my 8 knowing that there were no electronic aids that assisted me or helped buffer any mistakes I might have made while driving. I either did well, or I didn't. The experience that I get out of my 8 is simply mechanical, direct, raw, pure.

It's a long way to say it, but yeah, my Evo lived up to & above expectations!
Old Oct 25, 2013, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WW-GSR

I bought my Evo on a spontaneous decision - best one I've ever made! I was dead set to buy an STi, but figured I'll go look at what the Evo is before I pull the trigger. I was never a Mitsu guy before this...always a Honda guy. I wanted a WW 9 MR which had just come out back in Nov. of '05, but I couldn't get financed for one. The dealership had one silver '05 VIII GSR left in stock, & a used '03 white VIII. I drove both, but didn't like the fact that the '05 had leather, plus I preffered white. The amount I paid for my '03 was just a hair below what I could've bought the '05 for, but the white exterior & cloth Recaro's justified the price for me.

After I bought my '03, I started learning about Evo's.. Couple things that initially bummed me out a bit about the decision to buy the '03 over the '05 was that the '05's came with more power, had a front LSD, & had the ACD system. Over the years since, I've installed an OEM front LSD in mine, so that's all good.. As far as the ACD system goes, I actually am happier that my Evo DOESN'T have ACD!

It's my opinion, of coarse, but I believe that the USDM '03-'04 Evo 8 is the last great fully mechanical "analog" Evo that was built. If you talk to other Evo guys that live in Japan, UK, Australia, NZ, etc. where they have older Evo's (1-6), they swear up & down that the newer Evo's (7+) just aren't the same...not as 'raw'. The ACD system I believe does its part to contribute to the degredation of that 'raw' feeling. Sure, it attempts to make the car faster by manipulating power distribution, but by its involvement, there is a certain unavoidable & inevitable disconnect that is developed as a byproduct of that involvement. With the Evo X, I think that disconnected feeling gets even worse with the addition of AYC to the ACD.

Understand that I don't love the 9's & X's any less than I do, but as a guy who absolutely loves driving, I feel more genuine driving pleasure from my 8 knowing that there were no electronic aids that assisted me or helped buffer any mistakes I might have made while driving. I either did well, or I didn't. The experience that I get out of my 8 is simply mechanical, direct, raw, pure.

that was ****in awesome lol
Old Oct 25, 2013, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by WW-GSR

right on!
Ya in 2006 I was 16, and I saw a WW 9 MR online, and I have wanted one ever since (I am turning 23 in a month), my goal has not changed to buy one I want a 9MR, preferably WW but color is optional.

Ive spent the last 6 years busting my *** to pay for and make in through university by myself (I am in my 6th and last year of University), I graduate in april, and do to my successes in academics I am beginning to get job offers, so i plan on buying it come april once I grad and have a job.
I have wanted the car for 7 years, and its been one of my main motivating factors to work so hard in university. I have never wanted anything so bad.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 02:28 PM

Always wanted an evo. Got one. Loved it. Sold it. Regret it...
Old Oct 31, 2013, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The understeer was worse than my fwd honda for a few years and it was a little dissapointing. Then I got the weir 12 plate rear lsd and I will have my evo forever.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My first evo far exceeded my expectations. It had everything I needed and wanted. Sold my supercharged RSX Type-S for it and never looked back.

Quick Reply: Did your first Evo live up to your expectations?