Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

What car should I buy instead of an evo?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What car should I buy instead of an evo?

so i posted a thread a while back, "evo good first car?" and many said "ill kill myself" "bad idea" etc. (i definitely expected those responses) so i guess all you guys convinced me it is a terrible idea.

so now my question is, what should i get then? i definitely don't want a regular lancer, ralliart(just doesn't feel right you know? lol) looking for something easy to mod, get familiar so i can mod an evo myself when I'm ready, and relatively good looking.
GOOD LOOKING being the key phrase lol.

I'm putting some of the money away that i saved for an evo and only gonna spend about 10k roughly. any advice is helpful.

thanks

Last edited by evo_kid97; Jun 20, 2014 at 01:18 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:16 AM

RWD Preferably
Old Jun 20, 2014, 02:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buy a subaru keep the boost <10psi it should stay together
Old Jun 20, 2014, 02:55 AM
Evolving Member

My Path of vehicles went from a jeep cherokee, jeep wrangler, subaru legacy 2.5gt (2005->420whp always broken) Toyota FJ TRD(sold) now evo ix(also a pain in the ***) and a jeep wrangler.

I'd get a Jeep Wrangler, they're practically unkillable, girls like them, you can take the top down and you can go crawling on the weekend and mess with the suspension. RWD, Part time 4wd, can get you to the maintains, if they break they are cheap too. Best first car in my opinion. Do iT!

Last edited by j255c; Jun 20, 2014 at 03:13 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 04:55 AM
DGS
Evolving Member

My first (street) car was a '63 Imperial. (My parents were involved in that. )
Boooring. But it did teach me how to park in tight spaces.

After that, I got a Fiat 124. I'm still amazed I didn't kill myself in that thing.

The problem, today, is that, while RWD is now making a come-back, they'll be thin in the used market, after ages of FWD road appliances.

So you're either looking at something new like a Toyota 86 variant, or a used variation on a "prestige" marque (like a Lotus Elise) that's still above your target price, or something old enough you'll have to be a shade-tree mechanic to use it as a daily driver.
Or look for a used Miata and put up with the "hairdresser" cracks.

The good news is that the older RWDs, like a Fiat or TR6, are simple enough for a home mechanic to maintain.

Another option, in AWD, would be an older WRX, if you can find one that hasn't been modded too heavily.
(You can get a lot more power out of a stock ricer, but it costs you reliability. You don't want a "project" car for your daily driver.)
You might find a reasonably priced Celica AllTrac (ST-165, ST-185, ST-205) still around, but Toyota dealers never understood those cars very well, even before they declared them an "un-vehicle".
But RWD will be a learning experience you probably don't want to miss, if you take driving seriously.

Last edited by DGS; Jun 20, 2014 at 04:59 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Subaru WRX, SRT4, integra.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 07:21 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
2g talon/eclipse if your plan is still to get an evo some day. 240sx can be a lot of fun.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

^ I agree with the above. Talon or Eclipse would be fun to drive and also quick. Still has the 4G63 powerplant in it so it would be helpful learning for the future (EVO).
Old Jun 20, 2014, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

+1 for 2g DSM. It'll get you familiar with the 4G63 platform.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

How about... you get whatever car you can afford yourself..? Forget what others say, They are not paying your bills. key word here is "Afford".. figure car note, insurance, gas/maint... then what ever other bills you have.. (rent) or whatever.. If you have enough after all that, then you get mods.. but that should be your last thought.. learn the car first and how to actually drive. LOL

Whatever car it is, just respect it and others on the road. Don't try to be a hero and race and rev at people. Stupidity is what will get you in trouble. Driving is a priveledge, not a right. Remember that.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

hell, who am I kidding.... if you can get so easily influenced on an internet forum, chances are, you shouldn't be driving any car, or own weapons, or procreate. lol sorry kiddo
Old Jun 20, 2014, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
2g talon/eclipse if your plan is still to get an evo some day. 240sx can be a lot of fun.
This. Get a 2g, learn to get your hands dirty, learn the platform, learn your way around a small displacement boosted car. 240s are another great option but also really hard to find one that isn't ragged to pieces by some jdmswagdriftyolo moron.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:56 AM

i was looking at the 2g dsm before and most of them have been MOLESTED (like most evos lol)
one guy claimed to be running 31lbs of boost and never been tracked or abused...
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

I say go a little old school. Try a 5.0L Fox Body Mustang it's got a huge aftermarket backing. Stock they aren't that fast and IMO RWD is better to learn car control. $10k can get you a really good one if you're patient.
I've been thinking about getting one myself for a fun cheap track rat.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
spending 10k already? i would save some more and get the car you really want. i would never waste money on a car i plan on ditching anyway. you could always go honda. they area very easy to work on. i am willing to bet MOST of us started from a honda civic/ integra.

Quick Reply: What car should I buy instead of an evo?