EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evom-new-member-faqs-evom-rules-61/)
-   -   Insuring the Evo (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evom-new-member-faqs-evom-rules/252528-insuring-evo.html)

trickyazn Feb 19, 2007 11:25 PM

Insuring the Evo

Simple question that i couldnt find from searching, when you drive off the lot in an Evo.. how many days until your forced to insure the car. For some other cars I believe may be different like one week or they take it back not exactly sure.

Also, if you plan on financing the car can you not insure it and just leave it in the garage for a couple months?

Evo8 Feb 19, 2007 11:33 PM

I guess you could, but then BMV might send out a random check letter. ANd you have to have insurance when you purchase the vehicle.

At least that's what I alsways do, when I buy a car I call my insurance agent before and have him list it.

boostless Feb 19, 2007 11:36 PM

I believe it depends on your provider. I have AAA and they said I had a few weeks. I don't understand why you're going to buy it a just put it in the garage. Make the purchase when you're ready to insure and drive it. Dealerships usually require proof of insurance before they finance you.

But the answer to your question...technically you can have your car and not have it insured. But if you drive it, it had better be.

trickyazn Feb 19, 2007 11:55 PM

i dont want to insure it right away because i can save alot ($500/month) if i dont, but the main reason is that there are a few new evo's left and i want to secure one and leave it until i feel the need to drive it.

StatixNWH Feb 19, 2007 11:59 PM

my provider gives me 30 days....Travlers

geevolution Feb 20, 2007 12:05 AM

from what I know, the car has to be insured when you drive it off the lot. Unless it's paid for in FULL, then you can't take it off insurance, because technically you don't own the car until it's paid off.

EVOL2003 Feb 20, 2007 04:43 AM

depends on state i think....but why would u spend that much and not want insurance right away?

DSMorBUST Feb 20, 2007 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by trickyazn (Post 3996566)
i dont want to insure it right away because i can save alot ($500/month) if i dont, but the main reason is that there are a few new evo's left and i want to secure one and leave it until i feel the need to drive it.

:lol: you selfish s.o.b.:lol: :lol: :beer: :mitsu:

Earthen Feb 20, 2007 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by trickyazn (Post 3996509)
Simple question that i couldnt find from searching, when you drive off the lot in an Evo.. how many days until your forced to insure the car. For some other cars I believe may be different like one week or they take it back not exactly sure.

Also, if you plan on financing the car can you not insure it and just leave it in the garage for a couple months?

Michigan requires you to have the insurance faxed to the dealer or you can't drive it off the lot. Most of the time the insurance companies don't need a payment right away, they just send an invoice.

FiftyFive Feb 20, 2007 05:13 AM

+1, Im pretty sure they wont let you take the car of the lot without proof of insurance. I know that for sure here in CT. And $500 a month for car insurance? Maybe get a Prius?

turbotboz Feb 20, 2007 05:17 AM

same goes for md, you need proof first.

Happy Hazard Feb 20, 2007 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by geevolution (Post 3996590)
from what I know, the car has to be insured when you drive it off the lot. Unless it's paid for in FULL, then you can't take it off insurance, because technically you don't own the car until it's paid off.

Thats what I thought as well.

schred86 Feb 20, 2007 05:58 AM

as far as i know, if u have a car registered, it should be insured. i almost ran into a problem when my house burnt down and my 04 gsxr was in the garage uninsured.thank god nothing happened to it. the insurance adjuster said since i had a lean on the bike and no insurance, if it did get damaged it wouldnt be covered in home owners insurance. i dont know if this applies to u but i rather be safe then sorry.

DanJ Feb 20, 2007 06:17 AM

I had to have insurance on the car the day i drove it off the lot.

Chemwarrior Feb 20, 2007 06:50 AM

Every vehicle that I have ever purchased has always required insurance to remove it from the lot.