Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

ok big evo newb but not a newb when it comes to cars... some questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2005, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok big evo newb but not a newb when it comes to cars... some questions

my first car was a prelude way back in the day and in august of 2001 i traded it in for the new rsx (1 month after the rsx came out)... this is what the rsx turned into:

ok well i recently got rid of the car because i was getting fed up with all the problems the greddy turbo kit had (i was boosting at 9psi daily driven and it never ran 100% perfect) and plus i was putting way too much money into the car and i don't have much money considering i just turned 20 and still am in college etc.

i am seriously considering the new evo 8 as a replacement because basically there isn't much left to do to the car to enjoy it as much as i enjoyed my rsx im looking at just heavily upgrading the suspension, upgrading aesthetics a litte and doing only minor mods to the motor.

some questions i have about the evo 8.
is the MR edition realy worth the extra money if i am going to upgrade the suspension and wheels anyways? (im currently thinking no)
is the insurance premiums really high on the evo? (i think i was paying around $300 or so a month for my rsx)
what is the stock boost pressure set at?
is there a stock blow off valve? (LOL i feel dumb for asking these questions)

um i guess thats all for now if i think of more i'll post.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

im lazy to type, but YES, it has stock bov lol
Old Jan 20, 2005, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

If you replacing the wheels and the suspension maybe the MR isnt worth it. If you must have a 6 speed gear box then thats another thing.

The insurance is pretty high, one of the highest especially if your 20. Go to geico to get a quote.

The stock boost pressue is set at I believe at 19psi.

Yes there is a stock bov. Can't hear it.

I can be wrong, cuz well, i dont own a evo, but search button is your freind.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 11:12 PM
Evolving Member

the MR has a metal bov as opposed to the plastic one on the 8 and RS.

in the case of the worth the money:
IMOP the new 6spd trany is not worth the 4k+ that the MR is and the suspension can be made to be just as good as the MR for the cheaper as long as you are a savy buyer/mechanic.

on a side note:
ive only had my evo for since august 2004, but I am very pleased with it. but i was a little jealous of the MR my buddy got when i drove it cause the difference is quite noticeable
Old Jan 20, 2005, 11:16 PM
Evolving Member

oh yeah other MR improvements:

lighter BBS wheels
roof fins (more down force)
lighter roof
cool MR emblem
Old Jan 20, 2005, 11:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PunoEvo1337
is this true on USDM models? i thought we didn't get the JDM MR DV
Old Jan 20, 2005, 11:31 PM
Evolving Member

The best value by far is the RS. Ture your limited on colors but It's the best bang for the buck. Plus the RS is Mod ready. It's prewired, to put in your own stereo system. If you don't mind not having PW, PL, & PM you should be OK. But there easily upgradeable aftermarket for a bout $1,000. The MR is also a great car if your not going to MOD it. It's also a greate daily driver too. But If you need a little Luxury go for the Evo VIII GSR.

Insurance isn't too bad unless your got some tickets.

And No, the MR does not have a metal BOV sorry PunoEvo1337. Infact none of the Evo's come with a BOV. They come with a CBV which circumvents the air back into the system. A BOV blows the air into the atmosphere.

If your looking for a BOV for the EVO, APS make a great one the is 50/50. The 50% recirculating and 50% released into the atmosphere.

Then your get into price. The MR's are hard to get a discount on, but if your looking for a GSR or an RS it's a lot easier to get a better deal.

But if you have more technical question please feel free to PM me or better yet just give me a call.

EVO JOE
evojoeviii@yahoo.com
310-429-4478
Old Jan 20, 2005, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

If you don't care about 6 speed get the standard Evo8 and use the money you saved about $4000 and mod the handling to your liking ($2000 on suspension and $2000 on wheels and wider tires like 255 series).

Insurance all depends on you and where you live. For me the insurance on the Evo is $1000 less per year than the RSX Type-S with the same coverage.

Last edited by simevo; Jan 22, 2005 at 01:39 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

off topic.. nice looking rsx, looks like it would have been a blast to drive, too bad you could never get her to 100%
Old Jan 20, 2005, 11:45 PM
Evolving Member

First of all, nice RSX.

To answer your questions:

Most of the stuff that is on the MR, but not on the regular EVO could be bought and easily fitted in with the exception of the aluminium roof and the 6 speed gearbox. There are much nicer suspension components than the stock MR bilsteins and much nicer and lighter rims than the OEM BBS, so the question is, how much is that 6 speed worth to you?

I am 25, with one point on my driving record and another one for "failure to appear in court". My insurance with farmers (yes, they suck) was $496 a month. A little shopping around, I ended up with Eastwood for $219 a month. The Evo will be listed as a performance car, but its AWD and 4 door also drops insurance prices. I would say it wouldnt be much more than what you are paying right now.

Stock boost is set at roughly 20 psi, but the stock block is capable of handling a lot more, and therefore there are a lot of potential for the EVO. People have been able to push roughly 340 hp to the wheels with the stock turbo.

The "Blow off Valve" you are referring to is actually called a "diverter valve". Unlike aftermarket turbo kits, OEM turbo cars require a recirculating type of valve, in order for the MAF sensor to calculate airflow properly. Therefore, these valves are not nearly as loud as vent to air blow off valves, but still hearable with the addition of an open element air filter.

Brian

Last edited by evo sky; Jan 20, 2005 at 11:49 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 09:42 AM

wow thanks a lot for the insight guys really appreciate it...

i think i wouldn't go with the MR edition and stick with the evo viii or maybe wait it out for the evo ix
Old Jan 21, 2005, 09:53 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PunoEvo1337
No it isn't, it's the same old black plastio DV that all the cars get.

in the case of the worth the money:
IMOP the new 6spd trany is not worth the 4k+ that the MR is and the suspension can be made to be just as good as the MR for the cheaper as long as you are a savy buyer/mechanic.
You forget about the Bilstein shocks, forged wheels, aluminium roof, HIDs, vortex generator, etc. that are not available on the '05 GSR (excluding the SSL package with regards to HIDs). The MR is more than just a 6 speed transmission.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

The RSX type S is what i always wanted before the Evo came out.

Now, looking back is not even half the car the Evo is.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

IMO, the mr is not worth it you can get a vishnu stage one or an RNR stage one and say " what MR ", and you'll only spend approx 1600-1800 for those... suspension for another 1500-2400, you can do either tein flexes or cusco zero2r's and youll handle the pants off of the MR... and yes the stock has a BOV, i believe the proper name for a BOV is a Diverter valve, and yes there is one stock, i just recently put on an HKS RS intake, and the bov is very audible now... got any more questions feel free to ask..
Old Jan 21, 2005, 10:29 AM
Former Vendor

i have state farm, 25 no points or tickets (i didnt grow up just learned to pay more attention) 126 a month.

Last edited by Curt@MrLed; Jan 24, 2005 at 10:03 PM.

Quick Reply: ok big evo newb but not a newb when it comes to cars... some questions