Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Which to buy? Evo X GSR 2009 or Ralliart 2009

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2009, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which to buy? Evo X GSR 2009 or Ralliart 2009

Well I've been thinking about the Ralliart but the cost to add the Premium PKG pretty much makes it over 40k including tax. So that's about the same price as a Evo X GSR without tax. Is the premium PKG that good for the Ralliart? If it is then I guess I'll end up buying a Evo X GSR because I don't want to spend over 40k on a Ralliart when i can just get a Evo X GSR. If the Premium PKG is really not worth it then I guess I'll just get a basic Ralliart.

Also if people can give me a reasonable bargaining price of Evo X GSR & Ralliart both 2009 (New). (Without Taxes). Please list both Basic & Premium prices of Ralliart after bargaining.
MSRP of Evo X GSR is - $41,498
MSRP of Ralliart is - $32,998

Canada Prices Only (Ontario to be specific with prices)
Thanks for everyone's info

Last edited by ĴaiŠyn; Jul 7, 2009 at 01:15 AM.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 03:45 AM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ralliart: The Ralliart gives you the TC-SST, if that's your cup of tea. You also get better gas mileage. Lower insurance. And you can fit a lot more into it should you need to with the fold down rear seats.

X: The X has active yaw control and more power. Wider tires.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 05:26 AM
Evolving Member

It all depends on you. Personally I hate driving a car without all the options I'm use to. If you have a decent commute each day, the premium package is the way to go IMO, if you drive in short spurts (5km here 10km there) maybe not. I'm in my car for usually 1 hr each way to work, I Love the premium seats, I like that I have Satellite radio, the rain sensing wipers are amazing, stereo is good for a stocker, FASTkey is a option I would want on all my future cars. GPS I find handy when I need to make a run downtown, or somewhere I'm not familiar with. I like that I can dump all my cds onto the music server. It's a personal choice thing, I'll probably never track my car, (Would like to do a 1/4 mile run a few times) It's my DD, it's quick, handles pretty well. If you're planning on some heavy mods, or tracking, your better to go with the EVO, if you want a fun car for a DD the RA will fit the bill. Totally depends on what you expect out of your ride, and how much time you plan on spending in it. Good luck on your decision either way. Plus the SST is better for me, as I get stuck in traffic alot, and a manual can be a pain. (If I want something really fast, I wouldn't even bother with a car, bike is where the fun is if you want power for $ ratio, for about 11-12k$ you'll have something that can hit high 9's bone stock)

Last edited by Drows; Jul 7, 2009 at 05:30 AM.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Drows
Plus the SST is better for me, as I get stuck in traffic alot, and a manual can be a pain.
This is what takes the gsr out of consideration for me, so my only options are the ralliart and the pricier evo MR. But yeah, whether or not the premium pkg is a good option for you depends on you. Do you want leather? Do you want a upgraded stereo (less a problem since you can get a better one aftermarket)? Do you want a in-dash nav system (same as the stereo)? Sunroof? Fastkey? Because you won't get any of that in the gsr (other than the nav, a $3000 upgrade ). So are you willing to trade that for more performance? If so then get the gsr, but if you really don't need the performance or the fancy stuff the premium pkg gives you then go with the base ralliart, it'll be almost 10k cheaper.

So really just get the car that your most happy with, it's better in the long run that way.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by xi
Ralliart: The Ralliart gives you the TC-SST, if that's your cup of tea. You also get better gas mileage. Lower insurance.
hmm, not really sure about the lower insurance. I'm 24 and the difference between the ralliart and the top of the line evo MR is less than $10 a month.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Does it have to be brand new? I'm sure you can find a used X MR out there within your budget...
Old Jul 7, 2009, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by DJ Brett B
Does it have to be brand new? I'm sure you can find a used X MR out there within your budget...
well, with the ridiculous financing incentives that mitsubishi is giving these days I'd rather not go with a bank or dealer financing (3.8% vs 8%). So it comes down to whether I'd like to pay 5k in interest on a new MR or probably over 10k on a 08 (there goes the price difference).
Old Jul 7, 2009, 07:05 AM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Round here for me, it's lower, might be diff. in canada.

The RA you would probably find to be much easier to live with. Taller 5th and 6th gears make passing and cruising at highway speeds easier. You'd appreciate less noise.

TC-SST on windy roads is a lot less engaging than a full manual but also quicker cause I can just click through the gears around turns.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by xi
Round here for me, it's lower, might be diff. in canada.

The RA you would probably find to be much easier to live with. Taller 5th and 6th gears make passing and cruising at highway speeds easier. You'd appreciate less noise.

TC-SST on windy roads is a lot less engaging than a full manual but also quicker cause I can just click through the gears around turns.
yeah prices are completely different in canada, it's a lot cheaper to buy a new car in the US but there are law put into place up here to make it difficult to just go and buy a US car. Considering the canadian and american dollar is about the same you'd think the canadian manufacturers would lower there price to be in line with the american prices.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
It a matter of deciding what you want and what you're using the car for. If you plan on tracking the car, the Ralliart is a bad choice, despite what people say, the transmission simply is not designed for abuse and is gaining a poor reputation for on-track lockouts. If you just want a daily driver, the Ralliart is more than capable and has more options.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

^ What he said!

Seriously.

If it's going to be a DD I still recommend you test drive both, but honestly, the RA will have more creature comforts for a slightly better price.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kal0051
yeah prices are completely different in canada, it's a lot cheaper to buy a new car in the US but there are law put into place up here to make it difficult to just go and buy a US car. Considering the canadian and american dollar is about the same you'd think the canadian manufacturers would lower there price to be in line with the american prices.
It was cheaper to buy a US car when the Canadian dollar was up over the US dollar, and it will be cheaper when the price of oil goes up again (though it may be 202 before we see that again). Right now, the prices are as close to par as they've ever been (with the Canadian dollar hovering in the 85-cent-US range).
Old Jul 7, 2009, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by aestival
It was cheaper to buy a US car when the Canadian dollar was up over the US dollar, and it will be cheaper when the price of oil goes up again (though it may be 202 before we see that again). Right now, the prices are as close to par as they've ever been (with the Canadian dollar hovering in the 85-cent-US range).
yeah, but now they have ridiculous rules like a car must be registered for 6 months in the US or something before it can be imported to Canada. Which pretty much eliminates the option of buying a new car in the US to save some money (with in the case of the evos is something like 8k).
Old Jul 7, 2009, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
It a matter of deciding what you want and what you're using the car for. If you plan on tracking the car, the Ralliart is a bad choice, despite what people say, the transmission simply is not designed for abuse and is gaining a poor reputation for on-track lockouts. If you just want a daily driver, the Ralliart is more than capable and has more options.
Amby's right -- the Ralliart can be driven on a track, but you'll be wishing you had an Evo. I'm not sure I buy that the transmission is as problem-ridden as that, but the Ralliart Premium is a pointless choice for racing -- the Evo GSR is far better for racing, right off the lot, and the GSR is also much easier to mod.

The flip side is that the Evo can be driven on city roads and highways, but you'll be wishing you had a Ralliart (easier driving in the city, and much more comfortable for long drives on the highway). Also, anyone over 25 is guaranteed to look a bit ridiculous driving around town in an Evo or STi.

I chose the Ralliart Premium because I like to enjoy driving all the time, and frankly I can't afford to have a good enough second car to store an Evo GTS in the garage 99% of the time (not to mention that that would leave much less money for mods, of course).
Old Jul 7, 2009, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Wrong; the TC-SST IS the tranny Mitsubishi designed for track attack; There's just been problems with the cooling system design cause of where it's been located from factory, and the fact that the tranny it's at its earliest stages and it only causes problems when modded beyond it's current limitations (about 400lbtq);

If the TC-SST was not designed for track, then the STI and the GSR would've come out first on Edmund's track test; Well no, the MR did; And ever since, most track tests conducted by the Pros have been performed in the Evo X MR thanks to it's TC-SST;

The Ralliart's TC-SST is not designed for track, cause it lacks the Super Sport mode and the car has a $16,000 dollar car suspension (from the GTS... which regardless of that last comment is one of the best handling of the "econobox" cars currently in the market) and small crossover braking system with slim tires

The TC-SST has barely anything to do with the "Track Car" classification in this case. It's the pedestrian Lancer amenities that made it into the Ralliart in order to provide regular people with a fun-to-drive/enjoyable Daily Driver.

But anyways, to the OP, if you want to miss out on the Evo experience cause you care more about comfort, the Ralliart is for you; If you want to mode the car to the limits, the GSR is for you; if you want a mix of both, the MR is your only choice;

You're still better off getting a Ralliart with full package options than a base GSR; with the latter, you'll miss on the Leather Recaros, NAVI, rain-sensing wipers, HID Headlamps, Bluetooth and FAST Key entry system (if I remember correctly these should be all the extra amenities for a full blown RA, which don't make it in the bald, base Evo X)

Quick Reply: Which to buy? Evo X GSR 2009 or Ralliart 2009