Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Help battery completely dead doors wont open!!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2017, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G-4ce_Banger
Pretty sure I have the answer you guys are looking for. It won't help you get into your car with it dead, but it should solve the problem once you get it opened. If the handle has ever been taken off there's a good chance the mechanical locking mechanism wasn't properly reassembled. I have removed my handle before when I vinyl wrapped my car and I almost overlooked it but for whatever reason I double checked to see if the mechanical lock was still working. It wasn't. There is a shaft that goes from the lock portion of the handle to the locking mechanism of the door. This shaft has a lot of free play and if it isn't lined up to the doors locking mechanism it will just turn freely inside the door. To fix this, you need to be able to open the door, and on the jamb there is a rubber grommet parallel to the handle. Remove the grommet. Straight through the hole is a torx screw that needs to be unscrewed. Be careful backing it out so you don't lose it in the door. I can't remember whether or not there is a stop to keep the screw from coming all the way out or not. Now you can pull the lock portion of the handle out. You may need something plastic to help you dislodge it, just be careful not to scratch the paint. Once it's out you will see the shaft. Look through the hole in the door to see where that shaft lines up with the locking mechanism. If I remember correctly, all I did to line it up was make sure the shaft was pointing straight without drooping or pointing to either side and slowly inserted it 'til it engaged. Double check that the entire mechanism works and you should be good to go.
I know this is a very old post but I think you just solved all of my problems. Car got repainted and key hole stopped working but still spins. Thanks!!
Old Feb 17, 2019, 06:23 PM

Same!

Originally Posted by cnj4ever
ok for a little update.....

I got bored today and my wife said I should try and start the car with my key and the keyfob in the house. So i unlock the doors with the keyfob and went out to the car and put the ACTUAL key in the ignition. Low and behold it will turn everything on like normal BUT when i pressed in the clutch to actually start the car, it wouldnt start?!?! So know I am really puzzled and bewildered about this issue.

So i think maybe the insides of the door came un-done or disconnected somehow, but the dealership can figure that out when they fix my fuel line in a week or so.

Also on a side note I was told by Father in law yesterday, who went to a dealership, that there is a fuse that you are suppose to pull if you are storing the car for more than 40 days. Some yellow one? I bought it used so there wasn't an owners manual.

So the confusion continues...........
so how did you get into the vehicle. im dealing with the same issue. Battery is dead dead... and there is no key hole on the trunk, the driver door key hole takes the key and turns but does not unlock anything because it needs to recognize the key. So i put the key in the fob and turn it in the hole but still nothing because there inst enough battery in the vehicle to electronically recognize/unlock the doors. Its like there is no mechanical connection for the door to unlock from the outside. (No connection from lock to door handle or key hole)
im at a loss and do not have AAA like everyone else.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by trentan
I know this is a very old post but I think you just solved all of my problems. Car got repainted and key hole stopped working but still spins. Thanks!!
Thanks for the advice. I had exactly the same problem after door got repainted. There is a retainer for the torx screw so it won't fall into the door. You can see the retainer clips stopping the screw from backing all the way out. Some markets have a grommet to cover the hole, mine just had a sticker.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 02:07 AM

This is true came up today. Just renter the lock. The original problem was it doesn’t lock and unlock with the fob.im a locksmith so I’m well aware how all these keys and fobs work. Before I get a guy who answers like all the other people who didn’t even read the thread
Old Jun 19, 2020, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by brandobaggins
read the thread before posting. OP probably has a bad key.
No. Locksmith here.if the lock has been removed it’s easy. To insert it back with out the actuall mechanism entering the right part to July unlock it. OP had everything right just didn’t have the lock properly installed. A lot of us locksmith tend to rush and can skip a small step if they don’t este y thing they removed or messed with
Old Jun 19, 2020, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by AleighS
The car 100% is made to require the code from the key, and with a completely dead battery, there is nothing powering whatever unit within the car is made to receive the signal and will not open!

I have had this issue happen multiple times around when I first posted this last winter, which was also the first winter I owned the vehicle, and now again this winter. I live in Minnesota, so the winters can get harsh. My battery will go from 100% to 0% within 5 days if I do not drive the car (which is not that uncommon since I work less than a mile away.) If I only make trips nearby, that will keep the batter kicking an extra 1-5 days depending on frequency, and if I at least get out on the highway for 5-10 miles the car is just fine.

The fact is, however...someone thought it would be smart to design annoying locks on doors as annoying as having coded keys for starting cars without considering a situation where a battery can unexpectedly die due to lack of use.

Anyone skeptical, go ahead and open a door, press lock on the door with it still open, unhook your battery with your door still open and wait for all the lights to completely shut off indicating all juice is completely lost and test your key in the door. Not gonna work without a little drip of juice.

Another fun incident was the last time I had this happen (a week ago) I had a locksmith unlock the door for me, and he offered me a jump upon explaining my story. I said "no, I have a direct a/c charger now, I will be fine." Typically, I have used this to keep my battery charged up around my short trip schedule, but happen to forget about it for a while which caused my battery to once again completely deplete. With the doors now unlocked and open, I popped the hood and hooked up my charger. The car would start honking for a few seconds and then completely die, and the battery charger would disengage. (the car alarm was going off because of the locksmith releasing the lock from the inside and this fluctuation in energy being noticed by the charger triggered it to shut off to help insure there wasn't any sort of terrible battery issue)

I ended up having to unhook the battery from the car, charge it with my charger, then reconnect it to the car, so it had enough power to set off the alarm without draining the battery immediately so I could click lock on the remote to stop it (and of course have enough energy in the car to actually receive the command from the remote)

I do not know the basis behind the idea of all of this, but it is a fact that the car needs to have at least a little juice to unlock, even manually, and the car will also not even attempt to start without at least a 50% charge.
Locksmith here. Yes and no. The key is “ coded " to the door. It has a specific combination of te the that mechanically release the lock slowing it to freely turn. The issue with these cars is that if the lock has been removed by someone(usually a locksmith or make the key) and they reinstall the lock without testing the key to see if it pays Ku unlocks the door. The thing is these have some very loose tails that go into a small plastic that manually turns with your key and pulls te rod to open the car. But if you don’t align the little til the lock has(basically a flathead screwdriver to twist the plastic that pulls the rod. You don’t need any battery to manually unlock the car with the key. If it turns freely but it doesn’t unlock then there’s a mechanical problem. Especially with time, the weather will weaken the plastics inside the door and eventually breaking away
Old Jul 12, 2020, 02:12 PM

Guys, I am the original poster and I feel I updated everyone on this problem. Always shocking to see people still replying to this post. I appreciate everyones help, but I found out it was the bluetooth (handsfree) system that was burning my battery down. It runs 24/7 and when it becomes faulty it just pulls such extreme power that it is burning hot. You find it behind the glove box. Anyone with this car and this problem...pull the glove box out and find this little silver square module and I am sure you will find it to be piping hot and upon removing it, I am sure you will never have a battery issue again. Been years since I fixed this issue myself and my awful corroded after 6 months battery issues vanished. My same multiple year old battery still looks brand new ever since I fixed this issue.

Hope people see this, hope this helps, and thanks to everyone who continues to post trying to help out as I am sure random battery issues like this happen to car owners for random reasons all of the time.

In my case though, faulty bluetooth hands-free unit was the cause.