Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Police and the X

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2010, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Police and the X

Ok so after a long time saving $ and deciding between other cars, i pretty much settled on the EVO X.

However, almost everyone i know told me that this car is a cop magnet. Even my buddies with evo X's tell me not to get this because of police attention. So here is my question. How often do you guys get pulled over? (for driving "normal" vs "assertive.") And whats your general experience dealing with cops? Do they give you tickets for going 66 in a 65? Checking to see if its modded? etc. Thanks for the input. This is the last thing holding me back from springing on a 2010 Evo X.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

I was pulled over one time by a State Trooper in the X and I wasn't speeding, I think he was curious as to what kind of car it was but said he pulled me over because he thought I didn't have a front plate.

Other than that I've never even been looked at by a cop twice. Then again I never speed and I'm not that young. The majority of cops in my area have no idea what an Evo is, they'll pull over anyone who is acting like a dick regardless of what they drive.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

As long as you don't drive like an idiot you"ll have nothing to worry about. . .
Old Jul 31, 2010, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Moki97
As long as you don't drive like an idiot you"ll have nothing to worry about. . .
this. 3 months and i haven't been pulled over once. could be b/c i don't drive crazy and still have my stock rims since mine are in japan still
Old Jul 31, 2010, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

Uhm. It doesnt matter by car. It depends how you drive, and obviously if you are running a 3 inch straight pipe.. then it becomes a cop magnet. Just use your head...
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:10 PM

Were you pulled over by the twin bridges? Ive been pulled over 3 times by 3 different cops here and all 3 times I was doing absolutely nothing wrong.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My X is damn loud, red, and has the big stock wing. I've been pulled over once for no front plates and the cop wound up shooting the sh*t with me about cars for a little while before letting me go. I got some crap from another office at a DUI checkpoint, also for no front plate. So it's always come down to the no-plate factor rather than being in a loud, sporty-looking car. I put the front plate on to avoid confrontation and haven't been looked at twice since.

I have a clean driving record and don't drive like an idiot. I think that's the most important factor regardless of what kind of car you're driving.

EDIT: I just noticed you're in SoCal. From what I've read/heard here, having a modified car (or even a stock Evo) in SoCal can be a bit of a hassle, no?

Last edited by macPSU; Jul 31, 2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by macPSU
My X is damn loud, red, and has the big stock wing. I've been pulled over once for no front plates and the cop wound up shooting the sh*t with me about cars for a little while before letting me go. I got some crap from another office at a DUI checkpoint, also for no front plate. So it's always come down to the no-plate factor rather than being in a loud, sporty-looking car. I put the front plate on to avoid confrontation and haven't been looked at twice since.

I have a clean driving record and don't drive like an idiot. I think that's the most important factor regardless of what kind of car you're driving.

EDIT: I just noticed you're in SoCal. From what I've read/heard here, having a modified car (or even a stock Evo) in SoCal can be a bit of a hassle, no?

Yea, I live in Socal and cops here are A-holes. Im 25 years old, but look pretty young. I have a clean driving record and do not drive like an idiot. But you are correct, modified cars especially STI's/Evo's are a bit of hassles. Is the negative unwanted attention outweigh owning an evo? This is my huge headache at the moment. Sigh.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
of course in SoCal or Cali in general because of there laws cops are extra extra dicks when it comes to modifieds cars complete with ref tickets in hand. I have been told if your car has any parts on it in the enginebay that did not come factory then instant ref ticket if cop wants to give them. and these tickets are not cheap. So the key is stock frame turbos and stock frame parts LOL. other then that your not driving there with no cat loud exhaust 35r turbo with wild manifold pipping and loud bov. You will be reffed rather quickly unless your dont live in that state and are visiting other then that keep it as stock looking as possible in the enginebay exteriorwise you can do what you want but the more exotic the more likely you will be pulled over and checked.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:30 PM
Evolving Member

I've never been pulled over since owning mine. And I love watching cops just stare me down *** I get on it a little and build boost. But I'm sure anywhere in Cali cops will target you. They do tend to target certain cars
Old Aug 1, 2010, 12:01 AM
Evolving Member

Since taking ownership of my X I've yet to be pulled over. Although then again I've only had it for a week now lol! But seriously, I think it really comes down to whether you're driving like an *** or not. I've had other sporty looking loud cars and never got harrased because I keep spirited driving for the track.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 04:37 AM
Evolving Member

It depends on the color I think. I drive the same in my X as I did in my Red MS3. I commute the same 40km to work every day in both cars. I got pulled over all the time in my Speed3 but once in my X in two years.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 04:49 AM

Purchase a grey or silver car and remove the rear spoiler and you will blend right in.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 06:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, just don't drive like an idiot. Btw, there are a few cops that belong to the forum.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vmicrojl3
Were you pulled over by the twin bridges? Ive been pulled over 3 times by 3 different cops here and all 3 times I was doing absolutely nothing wrong.
Nah I was down near Saugerties when I got stopped by the Troopers. The Thadeus is crazy though on both sides with cops, it's even worse now with the construction.

Quick Reply: Police and the X