Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Any GSC S2 Camshaft User here???

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any GSC S2 Camshaft User here???

Hi,can anyone share their installation experience (during & after) of GSC S2 cams on their Evo's 4 5 6 7 8???

Will installed an aftermarket cams will richen the a/f??? Please kind advise.

Thanks
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes I had the s2 in my viii. Very good cams if degreed properly. If I didn't have adjustable cam gears this would not have been possible. I think they were like 10crank degrees off. After being degreed properly my car idle perfect at 900rpms on stock ecu. And the lope was freaking sweet. Sounded like a mini cammed v8! Any questions feel free to ask!
Old Oct 13, 2010, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
10 crank degrees is about a tooth. That was install not cams, sorry. I have never seen any GSC product off like that. They will lope really hard when properly installed if the AFR isnt sufficiently rich, idle timing, etc.

yes I know I sent the basemap
Old Oct 13, 2010, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Jay$ said it was strange they were off also. But without the adjustable cam gears would it have still been noticeable? I'm gonna post a video of the lope! I think Gsc cams are the best IMO! That's why I stepped up to the s3! Aron thanks for the lope!
Old Oct 13, 2010, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk45itJtkVA
Old Oct 13, 2010, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^^I wish my car sounded like yours!
It sucks that Evo 9's will not "cam" as hard as an evo 8, even with the same cams lol

Gsc s2 cams here as well.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 09:14 PM

Sounds like a rotary.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm coming up on my 60k service and I'm thinking about going ahead and dropping in a set of cams. I've been thinking about the GSC S2's for about a year now. Last year I took care of my tranny, clutch, and exhaust. This year I want to do cams, front mount, and possibly 35R by next summer
So I have a few questions about these cams. I read on MAPerformance that I would need upgraded springs, which didn't surprise me anyway, but should I go ahead and get the titanium retainers as well? This may be more preference than anything else but I was just curious. I know these cams are designed for larger turbo setups but I plan on going larger turbo in the near future. Right now my car isn't heavily modified. My mods are in my sig.
Another question I have is which timing belt to go with. I like the Gates timing belt kits cause it comes with a kevlar balance shaft belt as well and it's not too expensive. My friend used the Gates timing belt when he had 272's installed and he had no problem with it.
I've also thought about doing head studs. I know a lot of people have discussed this and I can't make up my mind about it. I'm the kind of person that likes to prepare in advance and mod according to what my goals are. I have a Competition twin with Shep tranny in my car cause I knew that I liked going to the drag strip. I wanted something that would hold up to that. Even though my car is lightly modded I know I'm prepared for bigger future mods.
Also what cam gears would ya'll suggest?

Thanks for all the help in advance and sorry for so many questions!
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

s2 cams are nice. if your planning on doing a bigger turbo in the future, are going to race, and like to be proactive and take care of the small things in advance (like myself), do what you just listed.

might as well get the gates belt, head studs, and springs/retainers while you are in there for the 60k service so you are set for future upgrades. that way you wont have to do them later down the road, and as a precaution. different people will tell you that you need different things, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I just prefer to do the small things before something goes wrong, as opposed to the other way around. gl with the mods!
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like me and you think a lot alike!
But I forgot to mention cam gears...do I need them?
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ElectricBlueIX
So I have a few questions about these cams. I read on MAPerformance that I would need upgraded springs, which didn't surprise me anyway, but should I go ahead and get the titanium retainers as well? This may be more preference than anything else but I was just curious. I know these cams are designed for larger turbo setups but I plan on going larger turbo in the near future. Right now my car isn't heavily modified. My mods are in my sig.
Titanium retainers are a wear item, unless made with a high-end hardened and/or treated material, so I don't recommend them for anyone who doesn't regularly pull the valve cover off, since the last thing you want to do is drop a valve because the freaking lightweight retainer wore too thin and broke.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GG06MR
Titanium retainers are a wear item, unless made with a high-end hardened and/or treated material, so I don't recommend them for anyone who doesn't regularly pull the valve cover off, since the last thing you want to do is drop a valve because the freaking lightweight retainer wore too thin and broke.
Ok thanks man.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Will, thats what they should sound like for sure. Somewhat rougher in some cases even.

aaron
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

damn sounds good... i wish the 9s loped that hard. but im loving my S2's thinking about going with S3's for my 2.3 not sure yet
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 304 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by _des_
^^^I wish my car sounded like yours!
It sucks that Evo 9's will not "cam" as hard as an evo 8, even with the same cams lol

Gsc s2 cams here as well.
it can if you tune the mivec for lap overlap at idle, most of them are fully retarded so that the idle is normal

Quick Reply: Any GSC S2 Camshaft User here???