Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Changing platforms, 3000GT VR4 to Evo X

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2011, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing platforms, 3000GT VR4 to Evo X

Hello, I am curious about buying an Evo X GSR. I currently have an 08 Lancer GTS as a daily driver and I love it. I have a ~400awhp 3000GT VR4 that I drive about 2k miles a year and also love it. The wife drives a 2010 Outlander GT.

However, my garage only has space for 2 cars so I end up parking one of my cars outside. I also don't feel like paying insurance on 3 cars. I feel like it is a waste since I only drive the VR4 so infrequently. I see ///Ms, STIs, MS3s and other fairly quick cars all the time where I live, but I'm always in the Lancer GTS .

Now, I've always wanted an evo because it is legendary and iconic. I hear they perform very well. I've never test drove one since my local dealerships sell them pretty much the day they come in. I just have a few questions regarding Evos before I start selling all of my cars to replace them with an evo x.

1. How is the maintenance on them? Is it costly to do?
2. Are there any known issues I should be aware of if I plan to purchase a used Evo X?
3. How much would it cost to bring the Evo X GSR to the same power as my VR4? (I spent about 8k bringing the VR4 from stock to a VERY RELIABLE 400awhp tune)
4. How reliable are modded Evo Xs?

I also considered trading my 1992 VR4 (87k original miles) for an Evo 8 or 9 as well.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/390676...-vr-4-coupe-2d

Thanks to everyone for their time.

Last edited by YoshiBishi; Oct 30, 2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Yoshi! I decided to go for the X over my VR-4, as you know.

1. The maintenance is about the same as my VR-4 was (maybe cheaper considering I'm not swapping trans fluid every other month lol).

2. Make sure the fuel pump relay is working correctly and the FPR hose is still attached. Make sure all the normal maintenance was taken care of.

3. Less than 8k to get 400AWHP. An FP Red would get you there very reliably with a fuel pump, injectors, exhaust/intake/FMIC, and a tune.

4. If you're not pushing over ~350WTQ at low RPM, very reliable. After that the rods can start to fail. Heck, you could probably upgrade the rods along with the above mods and still be at a reasonable price.

I still miss my VR-4
Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not there (by any means), but I think he'll want a new clutch for 400 HP, as well. Also, given what a pig a 3000GT is, the Evo X will match it at 350, if not stock.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Iowa999
I'm not there (by any means), but I think he'll want a new clutch for 400 HP, as well. Also, given what a pig a 3000GT is, the Evo X will match it at 350, if not stock.
Ah, true. The stock clutch is just as crummy in the VR-4, but way more of a PITA in the Evo. The 3000GT is only a couple hundred pounds heavier than a stock Evo X... Having owned both, the Evo definitely feels a LOT lighter though, new technology helps a lot.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 12:44 PM

Doc, would you recommend jumping from VR4s to Evos? Are you completely satisfied with the change or do you sometimes wish you could have your VR4 back?

The VR4 is starting to feel slow after a year at 400awhp. I'm afraid to up the power since I hear things start to break around 450awhp. I want a reliable and fast daily driver since I'll be getting rid of the VR4 and the Lancer GTS. Does the Evo have a limit in which EXPENSIVE things start to break? I know I'll get power hungry and want to have a 800awhp daily driver at some point.

This has been an internal battle for over 5 years, haha. I'm always afraid to modify a daily driver in case something goes wrong and I can't make it to work.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Even with 400 whp, I have a hard time imagining a VR-4 keeping up with a stock EVO X. Even still, the VR-4 is an awesome machine.

A lot of people have been getting >360 whp with just basic boltons and a tune, and their clutches have been lasting a while (as long as they know how to drive). Obviously, there is more power to be had, but if you're just looking for a reliable daily driver that can outpace your VR-4, I'm sure you'll find it in the EVO X.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 01:04 PM

Which year Evo X should I go for? I have a 08 Lancer GTS now and love it. However, my fiance's 2010 Outlander GT has a nicer gauge cluster.

Did they change anything mechanically over the years or are all Evo Xs pretty much the same? If they are the same, I would much rather buy a 08 to save some money.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 01:09 PM

The '10 models have a nicer gauge cluster. '11 has FUSE (control iPod from the radio and some other things. '11 also has better diff pins. '08s had a crummy factory tune on them.

Originally Posted by YoshiBishi
Doc, would you recommend jumping from VR4s to Evos? Are you completely satisfied with the change or do you sometimes wish you could have your VR4 back?

The VR4 is starting to feel slow after a year at 400awhp. I'm afraid to up the power since I hear things start to break around 450awhp. I want a reliable and fast daily driver since I'll be getting rid of the VR4 and the Lancer GTS. Does the Evo have a limit in which EXPENSIVE things start to break? I know I'll get power hungry and want to have a 800awhp daily driver at some point.

This has been an internal battle for over 5 years, haha. I'm always afraid to modify a daily driver in case something goes wrong and I can't make it to work.
I sometimes wish I had the VR-4 still because instead of being stock I'd be blowing money on modding the VR-4

If you upgrade the rods, the next major issue is the diff pins if you beat on it. To be quite honest, an 800AWHP VR-4 would be a LOT easier than an 800AWHP Evo especially for street driving.

Originally Posted by Ladogaboy
Even with 400 whp, I have a hard time imagining a VR-4 keeping up with a stock EVO X. Even still, the VR-4 is an awesome machine.

A lot of people have been getting >360 whp with just basic boltons and a tune, and their clutches have been lasting a while (as long as they know how to drive). Obviously, there is more power to be had, but if you're just looking for a reliable daily driver that can outpace your VR-4, I'm sure you'll find it in the EVO X.
Like I said a stock VR-4 isn't that much heavier than a stock Evo X. I don't know why everybody seems to think the VR-4 is slow, but it really isn't. The VR-4 has longer gearing so you get a LOT more go above ~80mph, and much better highway mpg (if that matters to you)

To sum up my opinion, I don't think you'd be disappointed with an Evo X, but you may still miss the VR-4. You'll never make a VR-4 handle nearly as well though, even matching the weight.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DocWalt
Like I said a stock VR-4 isn't that much heavier than a stock Evo X. I don't know why everybody seems to think the VR-4 is slow, but it really isn't. The VR-4 has longer gearing so you get a LOT more go above ~80mph, and much better highway mpg (if that matters to you)
Just because it is slower than a EVO X doesn't make it slow! Mitsubishi has had a while to perfect their drive train and suspension, all of which play a huge part in how fast a car is. Also, as you mentioned about taller gearing... while the VR-4 will probably do better in the highway and in terms of top speed, the trade off is that it doesn't "feel" as fast at lower speeds, where shorter gearing has a huge advantage.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 01:23 PM

If the 08s had a bad factory tune, can you tune it to match a 2010, like the free boost mod on 1st to 2nd gen VR4s?

I'm sold on getting an Evo X, just need to get my VR4 sold.

Doc, you interested ?
Old Oct 30, 2011, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ladogaboy
Just because it is slower than a EVO X doesn't make it slow! Mitsubishi has had a while to perfect their drive train and suspension, all of which play a huge part in how fast a car is. Also, as you mentioned about taller gearing... while the VR-4 will probably do better in the highway and in terms of top speed, the trade off is that it doesn't "feel" as fast at lower speeds, where shorter gearing has a huge advantage.
Yeah, the Evo feels faster but it's not that much faster in the quarter stock for stock. Either way, they're both fun

If the 08s had a bad factory tune, can you tune it to match a 2010, like the free boost mod on 1st to 2nd gen VR4s?

I'm sold on getting an Evo X, just need to get my VR4 sold.

Doc, you interested ?
If you can get the dealer to update the ECU you've pretty much got a 2010 tune. Obviously if you're getting tuned it doesn't matter at all.

Ha, if I could afford another VR-4 I'd go for a Danube '94-'96 VR-4, but thanks for the offer
Old Oct 30, 2011, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I didn't say that the 3000GT is slow or heavy; I said it was a pig. And I don't use that term lightly (as it were) or unaffectionately, as my 2G DSM was also a pig. Straight ahead, the 400 HP 3000GT will stay with or beat the stock Evo X. Throw a corner in, however, and the Evo will have it for lunch. Yum yum. Autocrossing a 3000GT was not enjoyable for me.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by DocWalt
Ha, if I could afford another VR-4 I'd go for a Danube '94-'96 VR-4, but thanks for the offer
2nd Gen conversion + paint job. Do it =D
Old Oct 30, 2011, 01:38 PM

Also, is the Evo fairly simple to mod and tune yourself or is it better to take it to a performance shop?

I live in NC, are there any close by that I could go to? I don't work on cars much myself, just like to drive them.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 01:46 PM

2nd Gen conversion + paint job. Do it =D
Haha, too much work

Also, is the Evo fairly simple to mod and tune yourself or is it better to take it to a performance shop?

I live in NC, are there any close by that I could go to? I don't work on cars much myself, just like to drive them.
No worse than the VR-4 for sure. At least you can change the plugs without pulling a plenum

Quick Reply: Changing platforms, 3000GT VR4 to Evo X