Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

New Father! EVO 8/9 family car?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2012, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Father! EVO 8/9 family car?

I about to be a father for the first time in May! And about to be 25 in sept. And want a newer car and want to make that car be a evo? Was wondering what should i except buying/looking for a evo 8/9? Also is the car DD friendly? any pointers are thanked and welcome! please let me know what i should prepare myself getting into a evo 8/9

I would like to mod it as well, but STILL making it a DD?
Old Apr 8, 2012, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

I drive my evo 8 80 miles a day, mixed highway/backroads.
The car gets about 23-24mpg when I stay out of boost, but you have to run premium so it gets expensive.

Nothing in the world beats the fact that you can pass 4-6 cars at once if need be, or drive straight into the teeth of the worst winter storm you could ever imagine. Living in Texas, this shouldn't be a problem for you hahaha. My car is stock and very dependable.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 07:42 AM

If you want a baby dd, I wouldn't go past stage 2. Keep the exhaust fairly quiet, no coilovers unless you want a little bit rough dd.

I daily drive my 8 with a ix turbo, o2 dump 1050cc injectors and on fortune auto coilovers. It's not the nicest daily but I love every second of it. Makes abotu 350whp and soon to be tuned to e85 this week.

Its all about what you can stand while driving as well as your wife/girlfriend and baby. Safety wise, I wouldn't be putting my baby(if I had one) in my evo though.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congratulations!! Search on here for first time buyer tips, etc and there are numerous threads like this. What is your budget?

p.s. numerous guys have Recaro baby seats for their little ones lol
Old Apr 8, 2012, 07:53 AM

well there a 06 mr for 16k and 53k miles on it. That's what i got my eye on. And why wouldn't you put your baby in a evo? It's not like im going to be boosting with the wife and kid in the car lol! Keep em coming
Old Apr 8, 2012, 07:55 AM

I absolutely love my 2004 ssl as a daily driver, and being in northeast ohio in the middle of the snowbelt the car has seen some serious snow and handled it like a champ, ive actually pulled a wrx out of a snowbank Just make sure you consider the cost of maintenance and be willing to take care of the car as it deserves. Congrats also!
Old Apr 8, 2012, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Tex903
well there a 06 mr for 16k and 53k miles on it. That's what i got my eye on. And why wouldn't you put your baby in a evo? It's not like im going to be boosting with the wife and kid in the car lol! Keep em coming

Its a small car with 2 air bags. I wouldn't trust it in an accident to keep a baby safe. I'll take a big suv with my kid someday lol.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
What kind of car do you have now?

It's pretty roomy inside with a pretty decent sized trunk, so it should be a good daily driven family car that you can have A LOT of fun in. It's on the stiff side but it's nothing that you can't deal with. Like others have said, the gas mileage is decent if you don't boost all the time, but if an average of 21-22 mpg hurts your budget then this might not be the car for you.

As long as you can deal with the ride, lack of cruise control, etc., then it shouldn't be a problem. I've had an Evo as my only car since 2006 without any real complaints.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

I love my evo. However it has a poor crash rating I would look at other cars/suv for daily family hauling.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 08:14 AM

i have a ford f-150 but that will be sold cause i cant stand the filling that thing up! But wife got a scion xb so i figured i get something that i want that we can all go in when need be. Also thanks for the congrats guys!
Old Apr 8, 2012, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by jrank3792
Its a small car with 2 air bags. I wouldn't trust it in an accident to keep a baby safe. I'll take a big suv with my kid someday lol.

work at a wrecker company and the worst wrecks ive been to have been trucks/suv. And if i don't get a evo it will never be another truck/suv again.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 08:37 AM

Evo's are awesome! My family loves it, best family car!
Old Apr 8, 2012, 08:41 AM

I daily drive my evo 8 with an Fp black and I love it, although my evo x was much more daily driver friendly being that it was way more quite and a safe car for a family
Old Apr 8, 2012, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 9evolution
I love my evo. However it has a poor crash rating I would look at other cars/suv for daily family hauling.
While I won't dispute its crash ratings, keep in mind that crash ratings alone don't indicate whether a car is safe or not. The Smart Car got better side impact ratings, but do you really want to be in that car in an accident?

I hope to never test out the safety ratings, but the accelerating/braking/handling capabilities of the Evo had helped me avoid so many incidents.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by uhhhson
I daily drive my evo 8 with an Fp black and I love it, although my evo x was much more daily driver friendly being that it was way more quite and a safe car for a family
Agreed, my 9 was a race box loved it but the X is a nicer DD and still has the power when you need it. Safety on the X is better imo from having a 9 and now a 10.

Quick Reply: New Father! EVO 8/9 family car?