Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Hello from Scotland! Here's my TME.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2013, 02:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello from Scotland! Here's my TME.

Good morning America. My name is Rab, that's Scottish for Robert. I'm an almost middle aged, slightly fat Scotsman. I was a Ford man for years, until I got sick of getting where I was going on a recovery truck... So, I swapped to Japanese cars, with an MR2 Turbo, then my Evo 6. I'll give you a run down on my 6 GSR, and please forgive the randomness of the post as I'm shamelessly copying and pasting from my thread on the Mitsubishi Lancer Register.

So, first of all my old 6. Here it is on the day I bought it. Stock. Big tyres, even bigger ride height!! But in great shape, 59 thousand miles with a full history from new!

I got stuck in to getting it back to OEM spec, servicing it and changing the belts. One of the first jobs was changing the exhaust. The car had a Nur Spec, which was massively too loud for me. My kids hated it, my wife was ashamed and all sexual contact stopped... Dark days... So, I swapped it for an HKS Hi Power silent.

The NUR Spec

I then concnetrated on making it look normal, so the comedy balloon tyres were replaced with some new Falkens.

So, not too long passed and the modifications started. First up was some breathing mods, de-cat and downpipe. A new clutch was fitted too as the old one has started to slip.

Wheels and coilovers first. I went for Tein Superstreets because they came up on the forum, and same for the wheels. Ultralite A-Tec 2's. 18x8.5.

Changed the look loads, but I hated how it drove now. The car would tramline about the place, and it had lost it's steering feel.

The wheels stayed for about a month, then I sold them on. Got the car remapped, 1.6 Bar gave me a nice healthy 383.9 bhp.

Went back onto the OEM wheels, just in time for winter!!

Sold the Hi Power, and had a custom 3 inch system made with a weeney small tailpipe Can't seem to find any photos of it though. Made a really nice noise.
Then I bit the bullet and bought some 9x17 Rota GTR Drifts, in ET25.

Car stayed like this for some time, before I got itchy feet and decided I wanted a Tommi Makinen, in white.

So, took the Rotas off, and bought some VII wheels to sell it on.

Got some paintwork done on the front, and spoiler. And had a new door fitted as an SUV had reversed into me.

It was here that me and W519 NUF parted ways, but it's alive and well in Wales now,

And now, for my TME!

Last edited by RabRS; Dec 26, 2013 at 03:03 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 02:38 AM

Onto the TME!

Now, here in the UK our authorities love salt. Any excuse they can find, they get out there and throw the stuff about. They salt the rain. They salt the salt..... So, most TME's I looked at were not in great shape underneath... I decided that I would get one that had been freshly imported. I got in touch with a respected importer in the UK, who had a car on the boat that suited me perfectly.

A spotless, stock, 69 Thousand mile Tommi Makinen. With a full Japanese history. Other end of the country from me though, so long drive home.

Long drive home, took me 16 hours!! And used about £250 (about $400) of super unleaded.

I tried my gold Rotas.... Er... No... They didn't work.

Fitted some BC coilovers, which I don't reccomend as they are ****.

And then powdercoated the Rotas white.

Much better, no? Then it was all engine mods, HKS hard pipes, uprated intercooler, K+N filter and intake, battery relocation.. And a personal registration.

I also had this one mapped, for 1.6 Bar. However, the engine failed soon after.

I then took the car in for a 2.0 Long Rod build, which dragged on to 4 months!! The shop I used claimed to be experts, but timescales were disasterous...

So, in the end I went and collected the car before it was ready.... No choice, I work out of the country and was not going to leave it with him any longer.

Back where it belongs.

Checked over the build and they have done a nice job of it. Just took too damn long!! Should have been 4 weeks, not 4 months!

So, before I start the running in process in the new year, I have changed the front indicator lenses to ambers, and bought some Makinen stripes. Some more wheels (I have way too many wheels) and bought all the equipment to completely protect and restore the underside. That starts in 2 weeks, when I get off this bloody ship!!

My ridiculous wheel collection. My greatest fear in life is that I die and my wife sells these wheels for what I told her I paid for them...

Well, that's where I am now. Hope you enjoyed the read. I'm off now to read up on some of your build threads, and see how you do things!

Last edited by RabRS; Dec 26, 2013 at 03:11 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 02:57 AM

Soooo nice, i'll trade ya man
Old Dec 26, 2013, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Love that car!
Old Dec 26, 2013, 02:14 PM

Thanks!!
Old Dec 26, 2013, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Great thread, what a beautiful car!

You had me laughing with this.. " My greatest fear in life is that I die and my wife sells these wheels for what I told her I paid for them..."

Good luck with the car
Old Dec 26, 2013, 03:08 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Scotland rock's
Old Dec 26, 2013, 03:23 PM

Cheers guys. I'm thinking of having a sentence added to my will concerning the value of the wheels and all the other crap I've bought over the years.... Just incase!

Next jobs for the TME are a full underside restoration and protection, detail it, add the stripes. Run the engine in and map it. Maybe change the turbo. I haven't decided yet.

Enjoying reading some of your threads, but I have to add, I'm not keen on this stanced pish. I cannot understand why someone would want to buy a car that handles like an Evo, then ruin it..... Anyways, each to their own!
Old Dec 26, 2013, 03:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't expect to find any Scots on here! I spent a few years in Clydebank and Edinburgh, and still visit several times a year. I certainly appreciate the problems with the salt, or to be more accurate, I appreciate the lack of such problems in sunny Alabama! I have an MG Midget that simply has almost zero rust. Have had it ten years or more and have never had any body repair needed.

Not sure I could own an Evo in the land of speed cameras and ASBOs though.

Welcome...
Old Dec 26, 2013, 04:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RabRS
One of the first jobs was changing the exhaust. The car had a Nur Spec, which was massively too loud for me. My kids hated it, my wife was ashamed and all sexual contact stopped... Dark days... So, I swapped it for an HKS Hi Power silent.
Loved this! Is it me or are Scotts naturally funny!

Nice find! I love the VI's and the TME! I want that rear (bumper).
Old Dec 26, 2013, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by nine3shoof
I didn't expect to find any Scots on here! I spent a few years in Clydebank and Edinburgh, and still visit several times a year. I certainly appreciate the problems with the salt, or to be more accurate, I appreciate the lack of such problems in sunny Alabama! I have an MG Midget that simply has almost zero rust. Have had it ten years or more and have never had any body repair needed.

Not sure I could own an Evo in the land of speed cameras and ASBOs though.

Welcome...
Alabama!! I once got some shore leave in Mobile, Alabama. I had one or two beers more than I possibly should have, and ended up getting a lift back to the ship from a very nice policeman. And he was even very understanding about my having a toilet break in the alley where his police car was parked. Very nice man. Didn't shoot me or anything!! Glad you have experienced the joys of Scotland. **** knows what you were doing in Edinburgh though, no Scottish people over in that ****hole

As for the salting problem, here's a quick snap of the salt that Argyll and Bute council plan on depositing on my street. Today.

I have no ****ing idea why the bloke in the picture is doing his best teapot impression... I have many Bilt Hamber products and some American (yee-ha) paint ready to go on the underside, Rust Bullet, which is becoming hugely popular in the UK on account of it's ability to combat huge shovelfuls of salt getting chucked about by the council....

Originally Posted by PureDrivePerformance
Loved this! Is it me or are Scotts naturally funny!

Nice find! I love the VI's and the TME! I want that rear (bumper).
Just you mate. Us Scottish folks have no sense of humour, much like the germans. Except we don't bother invading Czechoslovakia and Poland, too many decent pubs at home...
Old Dec 26, 2013, 05:04 PM

That is a *lot* of salt.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

Car is a beauty.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Red_06_EvoRS
That is a *lot* of salt.
You should see next week's pile!!!!

Originally Posted by 406EVO
Car is a beauty.

Thanks!
Old Dec 26, 2013, 08:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My kids were horrified first time they witnessed public urination in Ireland :-)

My dad always said people from Edinburgh were too posh. Lovely city though.

Quick Reply: Hello from Scotland! Here's my TME.