Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2017, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all, new guy here. I'll start out with the basics I guess. I'm 29, married with kids and starting a new job with decent pay and I'm looking into either an Evo or a WRX (STI isn't worth the extra money when the WRX performs almost just as well especially when I'm planning on modding it). I would prefer a new vehicle but realize if I want an Evo I may have to settle for used which may be better since I plan to heavily modify the vehicle. It won't be a track or drag car but definitely something to have fun with on the streets and mountain roads here in WV on the weekends.
Old May 21, 2017, 03:16 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hello. Thanks for joining us on EvOM

Are you looking for an EvOx or the 8/9? We all like the Subies, but its a well known fact, the EvO is a much better performer when it comes to extracting HP

In any event, good luck on whatever you end up with. If you have any questions, let us know

Joe
Old May 21, 2017, 03:30 PM

I LOVE the way the 8/9's look but I'd be happy with either of those or a X. That's what another guy told me in a fb group I'm in when I posted I was looking for a car. My options were a Golf R, STI, Evo and a 370Z. He said:

Evo - if you want to go fast
STI - if you want smiles per gallon
370Z (go with the 350Z) - set it and go
Golf R - just don't

I really prefer test driving vehicles before buying but the issue is there are ZERO Evos within 200 miles of me and I can't afford to drive 400+ miles round trip just for a test drive. I have driven a new WRX and loved it so I could only imagine how I'd like an Evo lol. I'm not much for cosmetic mods, tinted windows and rims would about do it for me. But I would like about 500-600whp just for fun in the vehicle lol.
Old May 21, 2017, 03:43 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by wvguy3

Evo - if you want to go fast
STI - if you want smiles per gallon
370Z (go with the 350Z) - set it and go
Golf R - just don't

But I would like about 500-600whp just for fun in the vehicle lol.
LOL, I like that

The EvO 8/9 have HP potential mainly due to the iron block & crank girdle. The EvOX is alum block w/real 4 bolt main bearing caps

As far as stock block WHP, the EvO 8/9 are very capable (reliable) in the 400 to 500whp range

The Subie / boxer motor is complex in its head & exhaust design & its an open vs closed deck block. Closed deck blocks are capable of much higher HP than Open decks
Old May 21, 2017, 03:57 PM

My only issue with an 8/9 is that it's gonna be at least 10+ yrs old as where I could get a '15 X would only be 3 but again it's gonna be a weekend car and heavily modified. On the plus side I could def find one cheaper than $35k lol. I need to do some searching on here and find common issues with these vehicles and read more on best companies for parts and places to get tuned.