Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Evo X the last?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2011, 12:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would not be very upset. I love how easy it is to make big power reliably on diesel engines. My buddy has an 04 cummins 24 valve with boltons that made 450 ish whp and 700 something torque to the wheels. Not too bad if you ask me.....
Old Feb 6, 2011, 12:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by migs647
Fast sports cars are dying. The only sports cars that are selling right now are the Camaro and Mustang. Sad

Old Feb 6, 2011, 02:49 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
You guys praising diesels are forgetting something huge- Those fast diesels are all big displacement. With the whole green image, they are not going to make it big displacement. Worse, diesels don't sell in the USA, it'd make the X the last USA Evo. Let's wait and see what they really do!
Old Feb 6, 2011, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Look around at pumped up VW TDI's they make double torque to horsepower and there are 200+whp 1.9L running around. Its all scale sure but you can make up for a lot with boost.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Noize
You guys praising diesels are forgetting something huge- Those fast diesels are all big displacement. With the whole green image, they are not going to make it big displacement. Worse, diesels don't sell in the USA, it'd make the X the last USA Evo. Let's wait and see what they really do!
This isn't true.

BMW is taking a step forward in moving the diesel towards consumers in the USA for 2011. They are trying to prove that the noise, the smoke, and the power loss is now a thing of the past.

So we will see what the market does.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 09:02 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by AKW89
This isn't true.

BMW is taking a step forward in moving the diesel towards consumers in the USA for 2011. They are trying to prove that the noise, the smoke, and the power loss is now a thing of the past.

The power point is completely true in BMW's cars particularly. Look at the ultimate modified potential of the 335i vs. the 335d. Torque is great in the diesel, but you need RPM to make good horsepower. The output of the 335i is substantially higher.

To Aaron, I understand what modified VW diesels have done, but compared to a modified 4G63 or a 4B11, and they look very weak. Current Evo owners are going to be viewing it like that.

With Mitsu going green, they are not going to put a large displacement diesel in the Evo, no way. A 2 liter isn't going to pull it off.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 12:29 AM

problem with diesel is they run out of breath way to quickly and i don't see how mitsu can change that fact.

One of the best performance diesel availiable in NA is the 335d's engine and it just feels very dull. Yes the torque is like a v8 but you only get it for few sec. Plus diesel engines sound horrrible
Old Feb 11, 2011, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AKW89
This isn't true.

This is very true case in point the BMW commercial during the superbowl, I personaly feel it was one of the best ones, maybe because it was nice to something differant than a pepsi or doritos

Originally Posted by MikeS54
problem with diesel is they run out of breath way to quickly and i don't see how mitsu can change that fact.

One of the best performance diesel availiable in NA is the 335d's engine and it just feels very dull. Yes the torque is like a v8 but you only get it for few sec. Plus diesel engines sound horrrible
I agree but to the point of the noise they have become ALOT less noisey than they were years ago...not saying they're AS quit as a gas motor because they're not but again not as bad as they usto be. I saw a guy in a diesel BMW pull up to the diesel pump and fill up at first I thought he was making a mistake because it didn't sound like one but then I saw the d on the trunk. On a final note I feel they don't sell that well in the US because the cost of a gallon of diesel is more than gas....it may get more MPG but people just look at $$ amounts and don't bother to do the math. Don't know why it costs more because I remember 15 years ago when I had a diesel it was less per gallon
Old Feb 11, 2011, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MikeS54

Diesel arent that loud anymore. Diesel will def make a huge difference vs. gasoline powered motors when it comes to torque.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

I would love to see Mitsu completely stop production on EVO's. Make mine a little more valuable.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

^ even if they did stop making the evo your car wouldnt be made any more or less valuable... if you think the evo is gonna go the way of the supra then keep on dreaming
Old Feb 11, 2011, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

I think it would definitely hold it's current value.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
R10 turns 6500 in race trim, the production version in the Q7 still revs to 4500 and makes peak power at 3750. Now admittedly thats pretty lame, but even race 12v cummins turn over 5k, there are Duramax motors over 6k. A smaller (2.8-3.0) that makes 300bhp should make 450 ft lbs pretty easy. With a 6 speed auto (not SST hopefully) it should be pretty ripper.

RPM and diesels is all about injection pressure and common rails have that in heaps. A Dmax for instance is over 22,000psi. Better atomization is a faster burn rate. Then add boost and see what happens

I will trade my Evo and left ******** on a TDi Evo if its close enough to my dream.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 01:23 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
With a 6 speed auto (not SST hopefully) it should be pretty ripper.
You and I both know that won't be the case , it will definitely be SST

I will trade my Evo and left ******** on a TDi Evo if its close enough to my dream.
Easy there tiger no need for self mutilation, the credit companies got your back, er ahem ********.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I could see them going the turbodiesel route, but I don't think they are quite ready to make the jump. I think we'll see electric motors in the front (or rear) along with another gas engine with DI added next time around - that is unless the X is the last car.

They would need to make a radical jump in development of the SST so it can handle the torque of a diesel engine, especially when people start modding them - or make a very robust 6 speed with close gears and an extra tall overdrive.

Quick Reply: Evo X the last?