Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

WHere are you guys running your tuner...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2004, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
WHere are you guys running your tuner...

I got my evo last night, and was wondering where everyone is running their tuner through the firewall?

dave-
Old Oct 5, 2004, 09:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I am using the grommet on the firewall on the passenger side behind the strut tower.. However the connectors don't pass through the opening easily, I basically cut the harness close to the connector to the tuner side and respliced them after they were in the car.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i did a write up on how to do it in this forum without cutting the wires. Not easy , but doable. Took me 20 minutes to figure it out. RRR
Old Oct 6, 2004, 04:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The grey gromet that runs on top of the fire wall into the dash? I will search for the write up..

Dave-
Old Oct 6, 2004, 04:38 AM
Evolving Member

I drilled a seperate hole through the firewall close to the a/c lines. Its not fun but I have so many wires going through the firewall I needed a seperate hole
Old Oct 6, 2004, 04:59 AM
Evolved Member

Look in the drivers side floor, you will see a side panel. take this off and you will see a large opening this is lagre enough to run you power wire for the amp. if you put the wire through this opening then you can open the driverside door and see the wire comming out of the car. now you will need something like a coathanger to run the wire on the inside of the finder. if you do this write it will come up to the battery. you will have to look for it but it should be their. it may even come out on the back side of the headlight. I hope this helps because it is the largest opening that I have found.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 06:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ran mine through the drivers floor pan. There is a large grommet underneath. I cut the wires, ran a hole through the grommet, and then respliced them inside of the car with solder, and heat shrink wrap. Installed the grommet after siliconing the hole on both sides of the grommet. I ran the wires between the carpet and the floor pan up to the glovebox, where the tuner resides for now.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

They fixed this probelm with tuner lite. Fits through the grommet behind the strut perfectly.

Ben
Old Oct 6, 2004, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

hahah...i found a much easier way to do this. If u look under the car, u'll there are many rubber plugs. Right on the stock o2 sensor, you can see that it's running through one of these plugs. Just directly in front of it (toward the front of the car), there is another one just like it. All you have to do is push it up and a hole about the size of the o2 sensor will be availabel for u to use.

What I did was move the stock o2 sensor to the hole infront to run it to the UR cat del similator. I installed the UR cat del with the similator facing toward the back of the car. The hole where the stock o2 is at will be use for the o2 WB. This will save you some money from having to weld the o2 bung. With the cat del, you dont really have to run it on the DP. My AFR reading is dead on.

The holes are perfect fit for the o2 sensors. Bosch o2 sensor is alittle big, so you have to shave the hole to open it up alittle bit more. This is by far the cleanest way to run the WB sensor. No cutting, no slicing of the wires. In order of you to get access to the hole to run the wire, you need to take the passenger side seat out. It's very straight forward and easy to do. The holes are directly underneath the carpet. GOOD LUCK!!!! Feel free to aim me up if you guys have any question. I have yet to run the knock sensor. Will do that soon...
Old Oct 6, 2004, 08:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah, it all really depends on how and where you run your O2 sensor..