Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Couple Qs about the tuner pro and the tuner

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2005, 09:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple Qs about the tuner pro and the tuner

My UTEC is in the mail and now I have a lil money left over to pick up a tuner pro or a tuner. I have been searching on here and looking elsewhere fo info about this but am wondering if someone could give a simple laymans(sp?) and quick rundown od what each one does and how I would use it.

This will be second UTEC, I sold my first becuase I couldnt afford to have it tuned and couldnt afford a tuner or tuner pro and felt the money would be better spent in an exhause or something. Now I belive the weak point of my car is the engine management and I recently began reasearching engine managements and kept coming back to the UTEC.

I felt the UTEC was worthless before with no way for me to tune or to have it tuned. I dont know a whole lot about tuning but I love that type of stuff and learn very well. Any comments are greatly aprreciated. Thanks.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone? and remember I will be running cali 91 **** water
Old Jun 22, 2005, 05:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would recommend the tuner lite instead of the pro. The biggest advantage for using the tuner (lite or pro) is that you will get afr readings while logging in the utec. The main difference between the lite and pro is that the pro has certain functions that the lite doesn't have. The pro comes with a secondary knock sensor and the ability to add an external sensor that will display voltage in the tuner pro map. The pro's knock sensor also has a jack to listen to the actuall knock. Both of these features can not be loged in the utec at this time, but you can run a tuner log to see what is going on. Hope this helps!
Old Jun 23, 2005, 03:47 PM
Silver Sponsor

The tuner lite is all you NEED to tune your car.

The tuner pro if for the more advanced tuner. They can put on the head phones and listen for knock before the sensor reads it. If you are tuning your car aggressively this is a great function. If you will be keeping your AFR at a safe level then this may not be needed.

Either one works great. Remember I have not meet a dyno tuner that uses a secondary knock sensor to tune EVOs yet. AFRs is your best bet for a good tune. Just be careful and make sure you know what you are doing.

Ben

Last edited by RallySport Direct; Jun 23, 2005 at 03:50 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 05:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have the tuner pro.. It also has several inputs for data, but since it doesnt pass this data to the UTEC logs, it will be fairly useless for most. The secondary knock sensor is something I do use all the time, with the headphones I Have the sensor on the head (picks up valvetrain noise) but its also right near the leanest cylinder which is why I wanted it there so I can hear the detonation before the car can pick it up.

Like said above, I don't know many people who actually use the headphones or even know what to listen for (I only know of one or two "Tuners" who even know how to use what are called "Det cans")

The truth is the more you know, the safer you are, therefore if you understand the tools and can utilize them, you will be better off. But for basic tuning your much better off with the Tuner Lite..
Old Jun 25, 2005, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

This link is the tuner lite or the tuna lite as some people call it correct?

http://turboxs.com/Tuner/tunerfeat.shtml

I just want to make sure I am getting the right one. THanks
Old Jun 25, 2005, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LEVIII
This link is the tuner lite or the tuna lite as some people call it correct?

http://turboxs.com/Tuner/tunerfeat.shtml

I just want to make sure I am getting the right one. THanks
This is the tuner 'lite'. I don't think turboxs makes or sells the tuner pro anymore. I would have bought the lite, but when I got my utec/tuner combo, that is all they had!
Old Jun 25, 2005, 08:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The pro is still available as far as I know.. its just significantly more expensive, and its not clearly listed on their site.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 09:20 AM
Silver Sponsor

Yes they are still available we have them up on our site

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop...230d415cdd4f31

Ben