Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Utec for GT35R??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2005, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Utec for GT35R??

i was wondering if the utec works well for the gt35r? all the big tuners use the aem, which i know is nice, but i was wondering what kind of results are possible using the utec? i dont want the aem because there are no experienced tuners around where i live and i know it takes alot of tuning with the aem to the everything right. i figure that the utec is the next best thing, so i was wondering what kind of results it would provide compared to the aem?
Old Aug 16, 2005, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

you would need to find a solution around the stock MAF. well, not need, but if you want to be making that much power, then it is recommended. that is pretty much the only problem that i know of... oh, and you would need to find a good solution for boost control as UTEC replies on the stock BCS, which is known to be faulty.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

well im only going to be running 91oct and alky...maybe 26psi or so. im trying to choose between the 35r and the buschur 20g. i know they are totally different set ups, but im looking for the best performance on the street which is why i will not use race gas.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Aug 18, 2005, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

can't tell you from personal experience, but you have to consider your driving habits. a big turbo like the gt35r takes a little longer to spool, so unless you're a madman and plan on keeping that thing boosted all the time on the highway, it's gonna be weird getting used to that on/off switch feeling... gt35r advocates will claim that you can simply "downshift and hit boost", but again, think about the way you drive. the 20g is ultimately more streetable because it will provide a more stock-like linear power increase from a lower RPM than the gt35r, which would make daily driving a bit easier to deal with, ie weaving through traffic, stop/go in the city, etc. etc.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know that rraulston used a UTEC when he had a 35r in his car, might want to PM him.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

^^And I believe Trinababe is using a utec with a gt35r
Old Aug 19, 2005, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

It better be good cause I have it in my car with an untuned 35r at 8psi till I get it tuned next week. Lol. But yes it will be restrictive with the MAF. I think Malibu Jack fixed that problem by using a larger MAF, cause we can only run 3inch intakes because of that. And boost, meh use an EBC or a Hallman pro bc. Only downside to a manual then is the whole switching between race fuel or pump and alky. You would have to get out drive around to test a few times etc.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HoLeeRay
can't tell you from personal experience, but you have to consider your driving habits. a big turbo like the gt35r takes a little longer to spool, so unless you're a madman and plan on keeping that thing boosted all the time on the highway, it's gonna be weird getting used to that on/off switch feeling... gt35r advocates will claim that you can simply "downshift and hit boost", but again, think about the way you drive. the 20g is ultimately more streetable because it will provide a more stock-like linear power increase from a lower RPM than the gt35r, which would make daily driving a bit easier to deal with, ie weaving through traffic, stop/go in the city, etc. etc.
ok dont understand that much. i thought i only one people dont understand. anyhow so i was thinking lets brack this down and correct me if im wrong.
gt35r- good for highway, good if you keep high rev, bad that the power just shots in and not smooth thought out all rpm
20g- good for stop and go, good for city weaving, smooth power band though out.

so does it all come down to what you are using the car for. city daily, or all highway racing. next. which one would not need to be fixed all the time. by me saying that which one wont brack car every 2 weeks from driving hard. thats all my 2 cents has
Old Aug 25, 2005, 07:46 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hey guys...

just wanted to offer some insight.....

my 2005 MR is using a UTEC..... and our 2005 project sti...

the system has the capabilities to handle high power output, but you just need to take the time to observe what youre seeing and tune around it. Alot of the negative feedback the utec has gotten over the years was more for hesitation than uncompatibility with people's kits. Not many tuners or end users dedicate the attention needed to smooth out transition points etc.

I will be using my utec (1000cc injectors) with a gt35R in about 1.5 weeks, when we have the manifold for it. I just currently rebuilt the head and installed a custom spec clutch (thanks to dave at spec).

Stock we did 207whp and 236wtq on the mustang dyno...with a slight boost increase (to 19psi) and some tuning we hit 262whp and 287 ft lbs.... then with a turboback exhaust and some more tuning we did 278whp and 308 ft lbs of torque, which i was happy with.

our first turbo kit, a turbonetics 61 with .58 a/r t4 hotside, we hit 372whp and 331wtq. with a slightly slipping clutch at 23psi on 93 octance 10.9 afr (safe tune) but in a post before i stated we were having some MAF descrepancies. I shipped the utec back to turboxs and they sent me a brand new one. Thanks guys.

The MAF problems went away, but we noticed some small spiking etc with MAF HZ on the dyno, this was traced too the turbulent air from the dyno fan going into the maf...once we blocked the maf inlet off with a cardboard blocker, it went away.

here is a pic of the kit that was on the car...

i am breaking the motor in on this (cams, new clutch, nitrated coated valves, new cometic head gasket, arp head studs etc) setup and then the gt35R will go on, so ill keep you posted.

I think that more attention/thought needs to be given to what other mods you have to go with a gt35R turbo, such as cams, tuning, boost controller, wastegatem etc.... all of these things will affect the performance and power delivery of such a turbo.

I am a roadracer (chadblock.com), so i like a nice powerband, but can't get enough of the hammer on power of the bigger turbos. I think that for most people a 3076R would be a perfect turbo for the street/strip if you want good delivery with the benefits of a nice garret ball bearing etc.... but to each their own.

regardless...i will post my results when the 35R goes back on, i expect to hit 450whp on the mustang dyno on 93 octane with it, with all of the new mods.

cheers,

chad b
chadblock.com
Old Aug 25, 2005, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

Chad

Be sure to post up a 4th gear pull log when you are done. I am curious to see what kind of spool characteristics you get with the setup you are going with.

Personally I have been contemplating going with a larger setup than what I have now. I too am stuck on a 3076 or a 35R. The lag I am experiencing with the ATP kit I have, should be canceled out with a larger turbo kit. I say this because the atp kit is very very restrictive on the exhaust side. Just my opinion though.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Jon,

Even though I have no idea what your lag is with your current set up, I doubt that you will improve the spool with a larger turbo. Having run both the the 3076 and 35, my experience is that there is not a hill of beans difference between the spool on the two. However, there is a considerable amount more power to be had with the 35. JMHO!
Old Aug 25, 2005, 08:43 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well,

i could see that, with the scroll they use etc...

i think the 3076R is an excellent turbo...

problem with the 35R is, it takes a decent amount of boost to come alive, like most large turbos.

i think a good set of 272s and a 3076R would be a nice setup. I may actually jump down to a 3076R

i will certainly post logs. I dont have my afr's tapped into the utec, but i can log them on my lm-2, i may get them loaded in before hand though.

cb
Old Aug 25, 2005, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Whoosh
Jon,

Even though I have no idea what your lag is with your current set up, I doubt that you will improve the spool with a larger turbo. Having run both the the 3076 and 35, my experience is that there is not a hill of beans difference between the spool on the two. However, there is a considerable amount more power to be had with the 35. JMHO!
Bob

You would be surprised if I told you. I am hitting full boost (21 psi) at around 4500 rpm in 4th from a slow roll. I do many pulls in 4th to datalog and tweek my utec. I am not extremely happy with the atp kit. I posted this in another thread a little earlier, but for the money it isn't a bad kit. The problem is that the design of the exhaust side (made to match up to a stock header) is quite a bit lacking. I think that with an improved t3 or t3/t4 exhaust housing (like on ams or rnr etc..) on other kits, this could be better. Lag that is.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Yes i am using the GT35r and a Utec. The Utec has its small bugs but they arent anything to do with the turbo. Like the stutterbox crap and no anti-lag provisions. However I have installed a simple switch that I have on my shifter which is acting as my clutch switch to enable/disable the launch control. On to your points about the 35r. It is PLENTY streetable however get used to lag. If you dont mind it go for it. Me and Nate from DSMotorsports have made a good thread about the lag of different turbos using logs from plenty of different Evos with different turbos which show true spoolup... not word of mouth crap. I drive mine daily and dont see any reason anyone couldnt. The only thing is get used to no autocrossing or any quick spool type stuff like that.

The stock maf is still working for me and at lower boost (26-27) the car traps at 123.5. I have ran the turbo at 30psi but my clutch started to fail but the maf was still reading the air correctly.

I will also be trying out a GM MAF with a DSM Translater and use the Utec to scale the airflow down or up to where it should be (The injector compensation thing in the Utec should work for this) and once it is close I will fine tune it just like the stock MAF. Once I get some time to drop the clutch in I will try out the GM maf and post up my results.

Quick Reply: Utec for GT35R??