Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Another Noob Question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2006, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Noob Question

After reading the manual for the UTEC and Tuner Pro, I've got a question about the knock sensor. The Tuner Pro goes to lengths to describe how the wideband 02 sensor readings get imported into the UTEC data logging and playback, but fails to mention how/if the Bosch knock sensor does.

After reading quite a few posts in this forum, it seems everyone is monitoring knock, but few (if any) mention the knock sensor that comes with the Tuner Pro (best I can tell). So I'm assuming most are using the stock knock sensor along with the UTEC, and using the wideband that comes with the Tuner Pro (or other WB) but ignoring the knock sensor that comes with the Tuner Pro? Is there a reason for this or am I assuming too much?

Secondly, if I simply plug in the knock sensor that came with the Tuner Pro, will it automatically datalog this sensor in place of the stock knock sensor, or is there any type of setup that needs to occur?

And finally, if you had the option, would you use the stock or the Tuner Pro sensor?

Thanks for any input.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 06:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
No, it won't data log that using the UTEC/TunerPro combo.. The Knock sensor used by the UTEC will always be the stock one (of course it makes sense since it represents what the ECU would hear)

You do not have to even hook up the knock sensor included with the Tuner Pro, however I hooked mine up to a convenient location on the block, and I use it when tuning with a set of headphones (Audibly listening for detonation on my car) The knock light indicator on the tunerpro, and the headphones will work with it.. But in order to log that sensor, you'd have to use the Tuna interface and not the UTEC with imported AFR interface..

Get it?
Old Jun 12, 2006, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jack , I've been meaning to ask you, what does knock sound like through the cans? I've tried the TP w/ the sensor a few times but haven't approached knock yet because I just got back to trying to create my maps. (lot's of detours on the car lately)

Thanks
Old Jun 13, 2006, 05:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Well, it can sound like a slight plink, if its bad it sounds like rattling a can of nuts and bolts lightly.. Its something you learn to recognize and its hard to describe, but the one thing you do notice is you will hear it over the rhythmic sounds of the engine..