Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Stock EVO IX MR... lumpy idle normal? Need some answers please!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2007, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock EVO IX MR... lumpy idle normal? Need some answers please!!

Car is brand new.. has 274 miles on it. Car has a lumpy idle. Tach does not oscillate, but I can feel the engine "stutter or hiccup" sometimes. It's sporadic; doesn't matter if the engine is cold or warm. Feels almost like a very mild misfire...

I posted about my problem in the newbie section, but didn't get any useful replies. Did a few searches too, couldn't find much info except for some people stating that lumpy idling is normal with the EVO. Can anyone confirm?

I'll post the content of my previous message here as it has more info. Any help given is greatly appreciated.

did several searches, and couldn't get a definitive answer. Hope someone here can chime in (and I do sincerely apologize if this question has been asked before, I'm just unable to locate it).

I have a brand new 2006 EVO MR. I notice that the idle can sometimes become a tad rough... in other words, it will idle smoothly at a stop light, but every once and awhile the engine seems to hiccup. I don't notice the tachometer surging when this occurs, but the feeling is definitely noticeable. Otherwise, power delivery through the RPM band is fine, and the engine pulls strong. No SEL lights or any other indicator of a problem issue is present.

Is this normal behaviour for this engine? The car I traded in for the MR was a 2005 BMW M3. The S54 mill is incredibly smooth at idle, so this is what I'm basing my experiences on. This is also my first forced-induction vehicle, so please be patient with me. I'm learning!

Oh.. one last thing (and from this, you'll understand just how much of a n00b I am when it comes to the EVO), but I notice quite a lot of torque steer on dry pavement. Coming from RWD only vehicles, this is taking me some time to get used too. Is the torque-split on the EVO 50/50, or is it front biased or rear biased?

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

Edit: now that I think about it, perhaps it's not an idle issue. The best way I can describe the situation is this: sitting at a stop light, engine idles smoothly at 900rpm. Perhaps 6-10 seconds later, a very mild vibration or shudder occurs. It's only a split second. As if the idle dropped to about 500 quickly, then stabilized. It occurs intermittently, with no obvious pattern. The tachometer doesn't register a change. The A/C is off, along with other electrical components. Is this normal, and perhaps the engine vibrations just aren't isolated as well as the S54 in my M3?

Another thing, after doing a few more searches.. some people have said the EVO has a "lumpy idle" even when stock. Could this be what I'm feeling, and is completely normal??
Old Mar 12, 2007, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

Moderators, sorry for the cross post. My question finally got answered in the newbie section. Feel free to close or delete this thread.

Thank you.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 06:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
link to the answer?

i got the same problem...

cheers
dave
Old Apr 10, 2007, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tephra
link to the answer?

i got the same problem...

cheers
dave
Don't have a link, but from what everyone tells me it's normal with evo 9's. Funny thing though, today I noticed that the vibration or shudder is a lot less noticeable; almost gone. Maybe it was a bad tank of gas... or perhaps since I now have a 1000 miles on the car, it just worked itself out... who knows. Anyway, I plugged my reader into the OBDII port earlier this afternoon just for good measure, and still no errors or codes found.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 11:05 PM

i've been told it's typical of the 4G63... this isn't a honda motor, or bmw for that matter, I guess

oh, btw, it becomes more noticeable with cams, exhaust, injectors, etc
Old Apr 13, 2007, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

i had the same exact thing when my 9 was stock! freaked me out. same symptons you were having.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 06:53 PM

I had the same problem when first bought my 9. the told me it was normal. Put an exhaust on it and it should calm it down alot. it did for mine.