Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

AccessTUNER Race for Evolution VIII/IX

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2008, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still, it doesn't change the amount of people who are able to tune their own cars, it just increases the number of people who are now able to blow their engines up.
Not necessarily so, ECUFlash has been around for awhile. MOst people willing to use AccessTuner would probalby be willing to use ECUFlash anyway.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

right... however most people that bought an accessport for the evo did it because they wanted a simple flash with extra options via hardware and the option to have a tuner do a "protune", not because they wanted to tune their own cars. Up till now that wasn't even an option.

If you were somebody that had the skills to tune (or someone who thinks they do)
and wanted to tune your own car, you would get a tatrix cable and have at it.

I bought an accessport because I happen to be good friends with one of the best protuners in the nation. Now that this is out, I don't have to bug him so much.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:55 PM

Good point. I loved Street Tuner on my WRX and I am very happy to see Cobb finally come out with Access Tuner for the Evolution (and WRX/STI). There are difinately some bugs to work out though, a lot of things do not work or take mutiple trys. When Street Tuner came out for my WRX, everything worked perfectly, but I also paid $400 for it. I bought the AP knowing that Cobb would eventually release software similar to Street Tuner, and I am only that much more estatic that I am getting it for free.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, im suprised that this even came out.

Cobb has so many other projects with the accessport right now, and with how things are going with the evo version... I thought that they might just drop it.

I hear that there might be some added features for the full version when it comes out. We'll just have to wait and see.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

Chris, if you tune with this and you have other aftermarket parts(other brand exhaust,O2 housing etc.), will this throw an engine check light like the off the shelf maps have been known to do?
Old Sep 3, 2008, 02:45 AM
Evolved Member

Does anyone know where us people outside of the US can get a copy of the software? I am interested in what it can do compared to other ECU options on the market.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

You would need to buy the accessport hardware first.

However they don't support the evo 7's so you are out of luck there.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Has anyone figured out what you need to change to make the base maps work on the cars where they do not make correct boost? I know it can be done, because a local tuner was able to do it on a custom map, but then he locked the map so I don't know what he did. And I am not exactly comfortable with the 27 knock sum he left behind The other local tuner is all booked up for a while, so I just want to get it ballparked until he has time to fix it.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 11:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by codean
right... however most people that bought an accessport for the evo did it because they wanted a simple flash with extra options via hardware and the option to have a tuner do a "protune", not because they wanted to tune their own cars. Up till now that wasn't even an option.

If you were somebody that had the skills to tune (or someone who thinks they do)
and wanted to tune your own car, you would get a tatrix cable and have at it.

I bought an accessport because I happen to be good friends with one of the best protuners in the nation. Now that this is out, I don't have to bug him so much.
Many people including myself also didn't purchase one simply because only protuners could tune it.

The AP has many advantages over openecu that many would like to utilize yet dont because they give up the option of being able to modify the tune themselves.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,044 Likes on 762 Posts
Originally Posted by CaliMR
Has anyone figured out what you need to change to make the base maps work on the cars where they do not make correct boost? I know it can be done, because a local tuner was able to do it on a custom map, but then he locked the map so I don't know what he did. And I am not exactly comfortable with the 27 knock sum he left behind The other local tuner is all booked up for a while, so I just want to get it ballparked until he has time to fix it.

Wastegate duty tables, load target tables, load offset.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Razorlab, thanks, that is what I thought but I am having no luck with it.

I tried adjusting the offset, and it had 0 effect.

I tried changing the WG DC, and the maps I saved did not work at all. When I tried flashing onto the ecu, the AP said it was generating flash data and then just kicked back to the main menu. I guess there is some sort of bug, but some bugs are to be expected with a beta. I will see if I can figure out the trigger, and then let Cobb know. I did leave the Description field blank, maybe that has something to do with it.

I also noticed that if you leave the Version field blank, it will not let you save the map.

As for the Boost Target, the ACN stage 1 has a peak load target of 140 at 3500 rpm (except for some 159's below 2250 rpm). Is this supposed to be that low? I thought Evos peak at around 240-260 load in near stock configuration Boost limit is 235+, which seems weird because it is 1.5 times the target load. I probably do not understand the correlation between the two correctly, so I will look into that.

Chris@COBB: is there a specific way you would like us to let you know about bugs? PM, email, etc?
Old Sep 10, 2008, 09:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,044 Likes on 762 Posts
offset + load target = desired load

So if you are hitting 260 load at 4000 then your offset + load target at 4k should be a little higher than 260

Example for 260 load. Offset = 200 and load target = 65, which together equals 265
Old Sep 11, 2008, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Oh, ok that makes more sense, since load target maxes out at 159.

Thanks
Old Sep 19, 2008, 11:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dorikun
Chris, if you tune with this and you have other aftermarket parts(other brand exhaust,O2 housing etc.), will this throw an engine check light like the off the shelf maps have been known to do?
Answer anyone >.> <.< ...
Old Sep 20, 2008, 01:44 PM

you can disable the check engine lights under "edit" "advanced parameters". You uncheck the ones that you do not want and then save the map, transfer to your AP, and flash it to your ECU as a base map.

Quick Reply: AccessTUNER Race for Evolution VIII/IX