Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

When getting tuned, how important is which software they run?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2011, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
When getting tuned, how important is which software they run?

I posted this (to an extent) in the Accessport forum as well.

There are 2 reputable tuners in the area that both have good and bad reviews. I suspect many of the bad reviews are from people who expected to get something that they weren't being offered though.

In short... one tuner is using Accessport. The other is using Opensource.

The accessport tuner recommends using stock boost control, and the open source tuner is recommending a manual boost controller.

My question... I know almost nothing about Accessport. Is the program fully capable of properly tuning the Evo? I've read that it has since been discontinued. Am I better off using something open source to take advantage of the many mods of tephra etc?

I'm kind of lost... sorry.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accessport is what is offered by Cobb. I don't know if it's been discontinued. I've never seen it or worked with it, but it should be able to handle the job. The reason few use it is because of cost and control; you gotta pay for the licensing and unless you are the licenced tuner, you can't change anything. You're stuck with what they write to your ecu.
Opensource I think is mainly for Subaru's, does he mean Openecu (aka ecuflash)? If so, that's the free software that is used by most now days. It is very capable software for reprogramming your ecu giving you control over just about everything and allows you to do the tephra stuff;
http://www.openecu.org/index.php?title=Main_Page
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey thanks Larry...

By opensource I assume they're meaning ecuflash type stuff. The Accessport stuff seems capable, but the longevity of support scares me a bit. You know... having to have the car tuned ONLY at an Accessport licensed operator is a pain if this shop ends up going under...