Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Central CA tuner?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2016, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Central CA tuner?

No wild mods on my car at all but I'd like to get it checked out once I do some maintenance. Any recommendations within 30-45 min of 93422 or should I figure out how to go north or south. Just more convenient if local. Thanks

Casey
Old Mar 21, 2016, 03:41 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
If you are willing to buy and install a few items, you can always do remote tuning. Is that an option, or just wanting to have someone take care of it all for ya?
I ask because we have real no tuners in CenCal, just a few that picked up pointers on YouTube and EvoM posts, etc.
If you can find an AWD dyno, I know of someone that would make the trip here to tune the car.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
If you are willing to buy and install a few items, you can always do remote tuning. Is that an option, or just wanting to have someone take care of it all for ya?
I ask because we have real no tuners in CenCal, just a few that picked up pointers on YouTube and EvoM posts, etc.
If you can find an AWD dyno, I know of someone that would make the trip here to tune the car.
What does a remote tune entail? I'm willing as long as the results can be good. Not aware of AWD dynos around here - never looked.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 03:55 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Casey Robertson
What does a remote tune entail? I'm willing as long as the results can be good. Not aware of AWD dynos around here - never looked.
Basically:
1. Install a wideband sensor (which any tuned car should have, anyway).
2. Run a serial > USB cable from it to a laptop so you can log it.
3. Buy a Tacktrix cable to log everything else.
4. EcuFlash is the program used to tune. You can download it for free.
5. Buy the datalogging software (EvoScan, $20).
6. Set it all up.
7. Pick a tuner you trust.
8. Get a few datalogs, email them to him, he'll send you a new tune. Repeat until done.

Instead of the Tactrix/EcuFlash setup, you can go with a Cobb Access Port, which doesn't have near the options as EcuFlash, but it's super simple to install and use.

It's a lot of fun, actually. Being involved in the tuning process is kinda cool.

It sounds kinda complicated, but it's really not. A good tuner can help guide you through the process to make sure you have everything.

Street tuning is just as good as using a dyno, so either way, really.

If you have any questions on doing any of that stuff, shoot me a PM.