Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2017, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some advice

So im rather new to evos, I bought a 2003 gsr a while ago from a salvage auction so I had never met the previous owner to know what had been done to the car. When I had got it, the car was running 29psi, being that the evo was my car to get back and forth from school and work I turned it down with a hbc that was on the car(to 23psi). Recently I got the car dynod at a dyno day and the numbers were pretty disappointing. With max hp being 227 and max tq being 254. I found this hp number to be pretty low(adjusting for it being a mustang dyno would bring it around 255hp, closer to a stock number). Another thing I noticed that was off, was that having more torque than horsepower is not a characteristic of a turbocharged car...Could the car possibly be tuned for 29psi and thats why its running like this? Should I be running it at 29psi? I had talked to someone who has a 500hp evo saying I should do a couple more mods and get it retuned. My thoughts were intercooler, LICP, and downpipe(already has intake and exhaust), then taking it to stm to be tuned. Not really sure what to do with the car, or keep it safe and drive it how it is right now since it shows safe afr readings while in college? I would like it to make around 300+ whp which I feel is manageable. Any advice would be fantastic. Thanks

This is a link to the first dyno run:
Dyno Sheet below:

Also I believe the car has a methanol injection kit on it, judging from a small controller in the coin tray and also the intercooler water sprayer resivior having wires coming from it and having an interesting smell coming out of it. The controller has been off for the entire time ive owned it....Basically my car is a box of mysteries to me and I just want to figure out whats going on with it. Ive been driving it for quite some time now and have never had any issues with the motor.

Last edited by jzell97; May 31, 2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old May 31, 2017, 12:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Looks like it has all the parts for meth injection and that would explain why it was on 29 psi. If its just intake and exhaust turned down to 23 psi from 29psi those #s are probably on the lower side but still about right. I would work on replacing the cat (remove or replace with 3") put a downpipe and a licp at the very least then having STM tune it. The intercooler would be a great idea while your at it. Id do a compression test and if that looks good then do a leak down test as well just to see what the health of the engine is like.

- Robert
The following users liked this post:
jzell97 (Jun 1, 2017)
Old Jun 1, 2017, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I did turn up the boost to about 26/27 and the afr was reading low 12s at wot, so I turned it back down. Also I would remove the cat but I live new york and inspections are very strict. I was thinking about possibly going high flow cat instead. If I were to get it retuned with intake, exhaust, downpipe, licp and intercooler, on a safe tune, how much hp would you think I would be making? Mainly wanting the car running right and safe than making huge numbers.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
So you turned up the boost without a way to tune? Sounds like a good idea...
Old Jun 6, 2017, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by lancerrally45
So you turned up the boost without a way to tune? Sounds like a good idea...
Well he did mention the car was running (and hopefully tuned for) 29psi.

Just follow what ETS said. Keep the boost to a resonable level since its your daily.