Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Logging my car for the first time!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Logging my car for the first time!

I just logged my Evo 9, and I got shocked beyond belief, and I'm still thinking about if what I'm seeing is real or is this just a silly mistake.

My car is seeing knocksum of 7 going up to a steady 36 from 2500 rpms up, timing advance is at 41 down low and fluctuates when it sees the knocksum.

Long story short, Tuners in Saudi Arabia have no freaking idea what they are doing, some have dynos, some have an extremely good reputation, unfortunately none of those helped.

I will attach the logged file here, and I'm going to hope someone comes in and says I'm an idiot and I read something wrong because I go mentally attack my tuner.

If anyone does over the internet tunes, it will be my best bet now, as I vowed to learn tuning slowly and will go about it but not now definitely.
Attached Files
Old Mar 12, 2018, 09:27 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Judging from the log file i looked at, your fuel trims are way off, which probably means your injectors aren't scaled properly. If i was you i would address that first, its usually one of the first things you want to get dialed in on a tune.
The following users liked this post:
Wajeb G. Wahab (Mar 12, 2018)
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Judging from the log file i looked at, your fuel trims are way off, which probably means your injectors aren't scaled properly. If i was you i would address that first, its usually one of the first things you want to get dialed in on a tune.
Thank you, I'm now getting some info on how to enter through ECUflash, I was able to use Evoscan but ECUflash isn't working yet, dealing with that to be able to touch anything.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I only downloaded the smallest file, the others are too large for a log file. TPS is not at full throttle, those knock counts are 100% phantom knock. Post full throttle (wot) logs.
As previously mentioned, your injectors need calibrating, something that some tuners neglect since it's a time consuming process.
The following users liked this post:
Wajeb G. Wahab (Mar 13, 2018)
Old Mar 13, 2018, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by foxbat
I only downloaded the smallest file, the others are too large for a log file. TPS is not at full throttle, those knock counts are 100% phantom knock. Post full throttle (wot) logs.
As previously mentioned, your injectors need calibrating, something that some tuners neglect since it's a time consuming process.
The only reason I didn't go full throttle is because the car is waaaaay too rich I'm honestly skeptical of going full throttle! I want to at least be in a safe rich map to be able to go full throttle and then slowly amend.

As of now, my AFR is hitting a steady 9.00 which is going to wash my engine, so I'm refraining from that, plus the tuner limited me to 6500 rpms for safety not that I'm going to go full throttle before I'm sure my map is safe for that. (Also being that rich is giving me the boost cut as if I'm hitting a wall with a loud backfire)

Right now I'll manage first to get over my issue of logging on the ecu using ECUflash to be able at least to reflash calibrate etc...
Using the 2.0 tactrix, do I need only the OBD-2 to read the rom? or do I have to use the other dongle with the 2.5 jack? and if I have to use that second dongle, where does it plug in?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 01:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
With such negative fuel trims, AFR must be very rich, & that's likely to ruin your spark plugs. AFR whether rich or lean, has nothing to do with the boost cut. Boost cut is load related in most roms. That other connector is used along with the 2.0 to read/write to the ECU, the socket is just beside the OBD port.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by foxbat
With such negative fuel trims, AFR must be very rich, & that's likely to ruin your spark plugs. AFR whether rich or lean, has nothing to do with the boost cut. Boost cut is load related in most roms. That other connector is used along with the 2.0 to read/write to the ECU, the socket is just beside the OBD port.
Perfect, so I managed to get the ROM out, I have 1200cc percision injectors, but they aren't installed yet, the installed injectors are the stock ones. I have set my boost to the lowest possible setting on my MBC, and I was thinking of reflashing a stock Evo 9 ROM to the car again. This way at least we can confirm those are phatom knocks and I can slowly work my way up learning how to tune and what is what.

Yes I read alot, no it's not my first car to tune, and yes I'm going to take extreme cautious baby steps and gradually learn.

​​​​​​Do you think I'm on the right track fitting in the stock ROM?

Thanks!