Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

My Evo 5

Old Jan 8, 2019, 06:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My Evo 5

Hello all.

I just bought an Evo 5 running speed density (map sensor, iat) with no MAF connected. Haven't checked to see if the connector is still there but I would assume so.

Mods are very mild and apparently just running a 8 MR turbo. So stockish.

It is running a HKS FCON V PRO tuned by Koyama from JUN supposedly and could be running well for all I know.
I have not turned the boost up (running 1.2 bar currently) or stuck an AFR gauge in the car yet but I know this ECU does not run closed loop and I don't like that I cannot map the ECU myself.

My target is to remove the FCON V PRO and hopefully without spending too much money, move to an alternative. I am thinking of a few ways.
1. Buy MAF and reinstall it and run stock ECU (mappable with openport 2.0 which I have)
2. Try to use Ceddymods, current MAP and IAT sensors I guess will not scale with it so might need to get the recommended. Mapping might be difficult as it may not be real VE mapping? Not even sure the ROM downloaded could be the SD version.
3. Buy a Link Kurofune and replace the FCON V PRO and use the V PRO harness. The base map and settings however seems very rough and needs a lot of time to fine-tune.
4. Buy a Link plugin (Base map is set up)

What would you do in my situation?

Last edited by jozy; Jan 8, 2019 at 06:52 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
The most convenient solution would be to install an E5 stock ECU & then run either a MAF or MAP rom, it's up to you. You could configure about any IAT & map sensor using the SD rom if chose the go the SD way.
The Link plugin is a nice ECU but it's a bit expensive, the base map is only meant to start the car, you still have to tune it. If you don't wish to tune the car right away then get a stock ECU, run the stock rom with MAF with boost at 1.2 max, and 98ron fuel.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 05:53 PM

Ok I will start with that and see how it runs. I guess I'll have to use the MAP ROM due to the car running a VTA BOV.

I remember seeing your name somewhere talking about the wiring. Can you tell me about it again please?
So IAT is wired into the MAF pin 5 & 6
What about the MAP sensor? (5v/signal/gnd) ? where is it going to be wired to?
The instructions on ceddymods website is for DSM where they have a factory map sensor on the manifold and the evo 5 doesn't have it.

Currently running the Denso 3 bar sensor (actually 3 bar MGP) and HKS IAT as the HKS FCON V PRO package.
Hope it scales well with ceddymods.

Thank you for your advice

Last edited by jozy; Jan 10, 2019 at 07:12 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 02:10 AM

I see the only pressure input to the ECU is the barometric sensor via the MAF so I guess the MAF signal goes into pin 85 via MAF pin 2.
So actually everything goes to through MAF harness it seems.

For both sensors take 5v from MAF pin 1 and GND MAF pin 5. iat signal goes to MAF pin 6 and MAP signal goes to MAF pin 2?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 04:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
No, you don't have to use a MAP rom with the VTA BOV, MAF would work perfectly fine, bear in mind that if you go with MAP you are likely to have to fully tune the ECU. While with a MAF stock rom you're likely to get away not tuning the car with the few bolt-on's you have.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by foxbat
No, you don't have to use a MAP rom with the VTA BOV, MAF would work perfectly fine, bear in mind that if you go with MAP you are likely to have to fully tune the ECU. While with a MAF stock rom you're likely to get away not tuning the car with the few bolt-on's you have.
I now have a MAF installed and running ceddymods ROM with the VTA BOV. Car feels like stalling upon quick throttle changes. In idle, when I rev it up and let the rpms fall, it will stumble almost stalling then coming back up.

Any ideas? Adding timing in the lower load lower RPM table?

Search this Thread