EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   General Engine Management / Tuning Forum (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/general-engine-management-tuning-forum-129/)
-   -   HELP!!! New build evo 8 2.4 cranks won’t start tried everything (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/general-engine-management-tuning-forum/747270-help-new-build-evo-8-2-4-cranks-wonit-start-tried-everything.html)

harrison.little Mar 12, 2018 09:38 AM

HELP!!! New build evo 8 2.4 cranks won’t start tried everything

Help please!!!!

I resently just finished building my house 2.4L evo 8 and went to go start it and it cranks but I’m getting no spark and no fuel into the cylinder. I removed my one fuel line my fuel is pumpin I have pressure in my rail. Reading all the forums I read the crank position sensor could cause this so I swapped it out for a new one and still just cranks. Could my timing be off and causing this? I checked my fuses under the steering colum all are good and same with the ones in the engine. Is it possible it’s the immobilizer? If anyone has any information thanks. My nearest tunnee shop is 3 hours away.

Biggiesacks Mar 12, 2018 09:42 AM

The ecu needs the crank and cam (in phase) sensor signal to do the business.

harrison.little Mar 12, 2018 09:56 AM

So timing is off then? I’m getting no spark at all when I hold the plug to the valve cover

Biggiesacks Mar 12, 2018 10:10 AM

if it was just timing being off i would expect you would still see a spark, just at the wrong time. So check that its getting a cam signal. Also make sure everything is good with your ignition circuit, are you getting battery voltage at the coil harness?

harrison.little Mar 12, 2018 10:23 AM

I’ll give that all a try when I get home from work here they are new coil packs I’ll swap the old ones on while I’m at it too

Siluck2 Mar 12, 2018 02:32 PM

Do you have your crank sensor installed correctly?

Siluck2 Mar 12, 2018 02:33 PM

Also could be your immobilizer if you switched ROMs

harrison.little Mar 12, 2018 10:02 PM

Is there any way to check if it’s installed correctly without taking off the lower cover?

Turndown Mar 13, 2018 04:59 AM

I'd definitely give the crank sensor and trigger plate a look and make sure they both installed correctly/oriented correctly.

Biggiesacks Mar 13, 2018 06:10 AM

unless OP rewired his fuel pump, the ECU will not prime the fuel pump without a crank signal. So if he is getting fuel but no spark that would make me lean further on the cam sensor because thats what gives the ecu its ignition timing signal. Also just to eliminate it, i would disable the Immobilizer and see if thats the problem since its so quick and easy to do.

harrison.little Mar 15, 2018 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks (Post 11809330)
unless OP rewired his fuel pump, the ECU will not prime the fuel pump without a crank signal. So if he is getting fuel but no spark that would make me lean further on the cam sensor because thats what gives the ecu its ignition timing signal. Also just to eliminate it, i would disable the Immobilizer and see if thats the problem since its so quick and easy to do.

immobilizer disabled went into the lower timing cover and crank plate and sensor all look fine. I ordered a new cam angle sensor but shouldn’t it be showing a code if it were that? I also have an aftermarket alarm system could that be causing it

zuppy Mar 15, 2018 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by harrison.little (Post 11809956)

immobilizer disabled went into the lower timing cover and crank plate and sensor all look fine. I ordered a new cam angle sensor but shouldn’t it be showing a code if it were that? I also have an aftermarket alarm system could that be causing it

Can the alarm remote start or is it a regular arm/disarm for the doors? If it can't remote start I doubt it was wired to kill ignition. Either way it would probably go off if you did try to start it. (Siren that is)

harrison.little Mar 16, 2018 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by zuppy (Post 11809977)
Can the alarm remote start or is it a regular arm/disarm for the doors? If it can't remote start I doubt it was wired to kill ignition. Either way it would probably go off if you did try to start it. (Siren that is)

Alarm came with the car when I bought it. Must be a remote start because it has a fob for it. The fob doesn’t work though can hit all the buttons on both my stock and new fob and get nothing.

harrison.little Mar 16, 2018 03:47 PM

Took my cam angle sensor out it was covered in oil and chipped probably from putting the engine back in maybe. Should I clean out the hole.

Pal215 Mar 16, 2018 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by harrison.little (Post 11810128)
Took my cam angle sensor out it was covered in oil and chipped probably from putting the engine back in maybe. Should I clean out the hole.

No, the cam angle sensor sits in the cam sensor housing facing the reluctor wheel which is exposed to oil internally while the engine is running anyway. I would make sure that the reluctor wheel that is bolted to the end of the camshaft (camshafts if mivec) corresponds to TDC when the cam is at TDC. You might also have to check the resistance across the terminals of the CAS to see if it is still good.