Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Max boost on upgraded internals

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2004, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Max boost on upgraded internals

Let's say I bought the RRM pistons and rods and have upgraded the fuel system and everything. What would be the maximum amount of boost it could handle?

Just curious.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

For one thing, they aren't RRM pistons and rods, they just resell them from a supplier. I think the pistons are JE and the rods are Pauter. If I remember correctly Rob had the shop Lancer running at 14psi or something like that, but someone else will need to confirm it.

omarboy is running 15psi on aftermarket internals.

Last edited by livelyjay; Sep 22, 2004 at 05:10 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 07:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Basically running higher boosts is all about tuning. If you have the AEM and good fuel, good internals, good drivetrain... then you can tune for what you'd like. With the compression ratio of the motor i'd say you're looking at peaking around 18psi though as by that time you'll be pulling so much timing and adding so much fuel you'll be at a wall. If you decompress then you can go higher than that. Might be able to play with vlv timing as well to get you some extra ponies at lower boosts. It is really all about the tuning and what tuning capabilities the car has.
Old Sep 26, 2004, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

If they are Pauter rods and JE pistons, assuming you have the corresponding mods, you can boost pretty high. Although on the "baby" motor, the 1.8L, I have seen some insane boost levels on Pauter / Wiseco combinations....
Old Sep 26, 2004, 11:17 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

My only concern at that point is the valvetrain. I don't know how strong the valve stems are, but I would fear for their well-being. At any rate, the pistons and rods willl add durability, but they are not infallable. Like Boe said it comes down to tuning, and proper fuel adjustment and timing are the keys to success.
Old Sep 27, 2004, 07:11 AM
EvoM Guru

I don't worry to much about the vlv's themselves though. They are stainless so they should actually hold quite well. For boost over 15psi i'd be more worried about the springs/retainers. Definately upgrade them so that you ensure a proper seat at higher boosts. It would be bad to have a vlv leak and float on you during that much boost with the high compression in our motors.
Old Sep 27, 2004, 01:11 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Ah great. Thanks for the info on the valves, Boe.

Originally Posted by Boeturbolancer
It would be bad to have a vlv leak and float on you during that much boost with the high compression in our motors.
Now there's an understatement.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 11:08 PM

how much hp would you be looking at with those mods and then at 15psi boost?
Old Oct 5, 2004, 07:13 AM
EvoM Guru

260-280 at the wheels depending upon tuning method... aem280ish...emanage260ish.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 08:00 PM

thanks boe and that is mainly with everything that Roadracemotorsports offers am i right? i was thinking bout putting a nx ntercooler kit on my car after i got turbo in january, would that be a good idea or bad idea with all aftermarket parts..........and you said i would be at 260-280 depending on tuning but what bout with that ntercooler kit also?
Old Oct 5, 2004, 10:47 PM
EvoM Guru

hard to say... its something you'd have to try/dyno.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 12:00 AM
Evolving Member

just as a side note Omar (omarboy) hit 20psi...
Old Oct 6, 2004, 07:54 AM
EvoM Guru

when did he do that... he was running 15psi bloody rich... now he's got the aem and is boosting 12psi. This is what he's told me. Maybe there is something new happening but he's on stock rods still so i don't think he pulled 20. His rods, new pistons, and head/cam are still waiting to be put on.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

this question may be a little off topic but what are stock internals capable of holding as far as psi? i thought it was 9 safely but someone else told me its like 10 or 12 safely. What about HP? is there a HP number that our motors will be in danger of running?
Old Oct 6, 2004, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

I thought Boe and Rock had answered this already with their kit. "Safely" is kind of a subjective term when you think about it. You can safely push boost right up to the level of engine knock, but it really isn't that good for engine longevity. For the RRM Stage 1 kits, 7psi is the understood safe level even though those kits come set at 5psi. With engine management you might be able to run in the neighborhood of 10psi, but you're still pushing the envelope of rod life. If you see pictures of the rods (there are some floating around comparing them to the Pauter rods) you'll understand how stressing them won't lead to long life. The Nissan Spec-V guys know this all too well, because their stock rods are even thinner than ours.

One factor that's being overlooked would be the head bolts. If you're running high psi, more air is being compressed, so there is a high level of stress on the head bolts. I've seen cases of heads on Supras completely lifting off the the block, it's not a pretty sight. This will even affect non-stock internals, although I can't imagine changing internals and not changing to stronger head bolts. I would assume that the head bolts would outlast the rods under high stresses though.

Last edited by livelyjay; Oct 6, 2004 at 10:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Max boost on upgraded internals