Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Here are Instructions for Installing Stereo Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2002, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now i noticed that you said that their was a gap. I two am thinking about installing my pioneer into my lancer. Yet i'm a bit suspicious of this gap your all talking about. Why would a company Install a deck that is between a 1 din and a 1.5 din deck? Are you sure it can't be adjusted to fit?
Old Jan 10, 2003, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

I'm using the Scosche MI02 harness. Does anyone know what the brown wire on the harness is for? It isn't labelled and there's nothing on the package to indicate what it might be for.
Old Jan 12, 2003, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

Just wanted to say thanks for the install manual. It was a help!
Old Jan 12, 2003, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

dont use the stock side things use the metal piece that the deck came with stick it in the trim piece where deck is and install that way then there is no gap
Old Jan 14, 2003, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wait wait wait u did all that to install a head unit!!!!! no no no all u have to do is unscrew the first 2 screws like u said then get under the steering wheel pull the wires that control the vents then push out the climate control panel(the part around the head) and pull the head out. then to install follow the wiring instructions that came with it and repeat the process in reverse. wow u really did it the hard way.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
o and by the way the climate control wires are not that hard u can try it with ur hands that may be a little hard but if u have plier they come off pretty easy
Old Mar 10, 2003, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

ok i just have to comment. those instructions, although pretty good, were really long, involved, and partly unnecessary. i got the master sheet from crutchfield and this is pretty much what they say:

1. pry off climate knobs. i used a flat screwdriver and a little force and they come right off.

2. unscrew 2 screws located underneath.

3. pry off plastic trim. i took a knife very carefully and just slid it around the edge of the trim to pry it up. real easy. there's 6 clips you have to release. it just comes right up.

4. unscrew headunit.

5. plug in new headunit. best thing, as said, is to get a harness adapter. it's so easy this way. look on crutchfield for mitsubishi harness adapter and they'll send you a master sheet free. it'll cost $15 shipped and well worth it. feed rca and remote turn on as needed through dash. don't forget to ground the unit if needed. take out one of the back bolts, sand down the area, and attach the ground wire here.

6. remember to use mounts from old stereo on new one. you won't need the aftermarket sleeve. screw mounts into new head and screw new head into dash.

7. replace the plastic trim, 2 screws, and knobs. all done! if you wire up the harness in your house ahead of time (should take 10 minutes) the install should take no more than a half hour to 45 minutes.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

the only thing about this post that I have anything to add to is that with the iso mounting the trim ring is most likely not going to fit , or snap on to the chassis.
My trim ring for my head unit was hand made, by me, if you do not put the trim ring on you can see an iridescent light coming from around the unit when dark and lights are on.
The trim ring I used was a scoche 1/4 inch ring that only comes in a package of assorted sizes.
Hot glue to the back side of the ring did the trick for me "black in color if you please. This makes the trim ring semi-permenant, meaning it will not fall off, but will require a little coaxing if the need arrives that you need to remove it.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

By the way, hand made by me means that it took alot of time on a grinder with the trim ring to get it to fit in the crevises of the factory dash panel.
mainly on the bottom side!!
Old Apr 26, 2003, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

so far so good on getting the supplies that I need to install my stereo TOMORROW i can't wait...JUST ONE PROBLEM I am looking at my 'deck harness' and the Mitsubishi harness I bought from Circuit City...and there aren't no exposed wires. The ends of it are plug and play/male-female connectors. So does this mean I don't have to do no wire cutting & crimping
Old Apr 26, 2003, 11:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by mikenuts86
i did this instalation recently and i put it together and everything was great until night time when i realized that i couldnt see my climate controls. I dont know what i did but they dont light up. ive taken everything apart again but i still cant figure it out....HELP!!!!!
i installed my head unit last week, and it works great, but i ended up with this SAME problem...found that out last night. anyone know whats up with that?

other than that, install was a breeze, the instructions were great if you ask me.
Old Apr 26, 2003, 11:39 PM

Dude! this tutorial saved me soooooooo much today.

Thank you soooooo much!!!

I started taking apart the whole freaking dash, and then i read "the two under climate control" and it saved me tonnes of work today. Thanks again

(We need more of these for newbies like me)
Old Apr 27, 2003, 03:51 PM

if anyone needs help with amps or anything liek that i just finshed puttinb a head unit, 4 spekears, 2 amps, 2 subwoofers, and a cap in my 2002 US lancer OZ rally. so PM me for any help u need
Old Apr 27, 2003, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

for Karizma! Yeh I installed my Kenwood KDC-MP8017 stereo unit following all of his instructions. And it was sooo simple. I felt like a real car audio installer . I did however unscrew the climate control knobs that some disagree with. The only thing I did was to to be careful when i screwed the two screws back in. Make sure the left and right screws are put back in the same place u took them out from and when screwing it back into place, push the climate control unit towards you so it's a secure fit because upon removing the screws the climate control unit was moved back. And you'll notice u can see ur climate controls light up at night
Old Jun 22, 2003, 06:46 AM

does anyone know if walmart has a wiring harness for the lancer? or is it just a better idea to buy from crutchfield?

Quick Reply: Here are Instructions for Installing Stereo Head Unit