EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Lancer Audio and Security (All models) (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-audio-security-all-models-51/)
-   -   Speakers "POP" during power on... (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-audio-security-all-models/266971-speakers-pop-during-power.html)

sykou Apr 26, 2007 05:28 PM

Speakers "POP" during power on...

Like the title says, when i start my car or just turn the radio on sometimes my speakers make a loud popping noise. Sort of the same sound as when you connect a AA battery to the terminals to check the polarity. It doesn't happen all the time but sometimes its loud and sometimes its really soft. I got a 4 channel amp hooked up to the speakers, got another amp hooked up to my sub, and got both the amps running to a 1 farad cap... Has anyone had a problem like this??? Hope you guys can help. Thanks in advance!

badhabit90 Apr 26, 2007 05:38 PM

more info needed.

what kind of amp??
to what speakers is it connected to??
etc...

basically, what it sounds like is either
A. it is connected to the factory CD player and is reminicent of the dreaded turn on pop associated with factory integrated decks.

B. the amplifier doesnt have the "soft start" technology...

:beer:

sykou Apr 26, 2007 05:53 PM

I got Alpine Type R Components in the fronts, Alpine Type R Coaxials in the Rears, Hooked up to a Audiobahn A400T 4 Channel Amp running on a Kenwood ??? Headunit. Dunno the model number of hand. If the amp i have doesnt have the "soft start" then is there a way i can add something to stop the popping?

evovin Apr 26, 2007 05:58 PM

grounded!!!!

radicaledward Apr 26, 2007 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by evovin (Post 4261043)
grounded!!!!

+1 ^

Make sure everything is wired and grounded correctly.

Never Satisfied Apr 26, 2007 10:16 PM

Like was already said. I doubt you have "soft start", easiest way that I have found to fix that (doesn't work on all system, but worth a shot) is to put a 500-1000 ohm resistor in the remote turn on line before it gets to the amps. The most common place I have had to use that trick is with Fords, but occassionally I have used it on other vehicles.

Check the grounds and other connections as well, just to be sure. That is always the first thing that you should do when trying to fix a problem with an aftermarket sound system. Make sure they are tight, and paint free. Also, I'm sure you know, but keep them as short as possible. I think the ground for my amp is like 4 inches long.

Lancer08GTSCVT Apr 27, 2007 04:31 AM

Get the head unit to turn on before the amp. That will take care of the pop. I do concerts for a hobby. There is a shutdown and start up order you must follow. The amps are always turned on last and shut off first. If you do that you will be in business. Just wire in a kill switch for the amp. Then hit it last when you start the car.

Never Satisfied Apr 27, 2007 09:11 AM

That is exactly what happens when you run from the remote turn on wire from the headunit. Sometimes the delay is not enough, which is where the resistor comes into play. By putting a resistor in line, it will effectively "slow down" the current that is being delivered to the amps. Using a toggle switch could work too, but it is going to be a pain in the ass to have to turn on and off everytime you get in or out of the car.

Lancer08GTSCVT Apr 27, 2007 09:26 AM

Never is right a switch might be a little bit of a pain.

Better yet a marketed solution.
http://www.sfxaudio.com/products/dis...p?ProdId=63361

sykou Apr 28, 2007 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Never Satisfied (Post 4262108)
Like was already said. I doubt you have "soft start", easiest way that I have found to fix that (doesn't work on all system, but worth a shot) is to put a 500-1000 ohm resistor in the remote turn on line before it gets to the amps. The most common place I have had to use that trick is with Fords, but occassionally I have used it on other vehicles.

Check the grounds and other connections as well, just to be sure. That is always the first thing that you should do when trying to fix a problem with an aftermarket sound system. Make sure they are tight, and paint free. Also, I'm sure you know, but keep them as short as possible. I think the ground for my amp is like 4 inches long.

I knew there must be an easy solution! This is just what i was looking for. Thanks I'll update to see if it solved my problem.

Never Satisfied Apr 28, 2007 10:47 AM

If it doesn't work, let me know and I will see if I can come come up with a cheap, easy solution that will work.

Lancer08GTSCVT Apr 28, 2007 11:19 AM

Corrected my link

http://www.sfxaudio.com/products/dis...p?ProdId=63361

sykou Apr 28, 2007 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Never Satisfied (Post 4267428)
If it doesn't work, let me know and I will see if I can come come up with a cheap, easy solution that will work.

Will do. Thanks a lot!

sykou Apr 28, 2007 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lancer08GTSCVT (Post 4267530)

Ya i checked it out and im not really fond of paying shipping to here. Being in the middle of the ocean and all...But it does look like a great product, if all else fails then it'll be my last resort.

URNVS May 10, 2007 10:46 AM

+1 for the resistor!