EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Lancer Engine Management / Tuning Forums (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-engine-management-tuning-forums-175/)
-   -   Confirmed: Evo ROM Can Be Flashed to Lancer ECU (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-engine-management-tuning-forums/488682-confirmed-evo-rom-can-flashed-lancer-ecu.html)

senate6268 Apr 25, 2010 05:52 PM

Confirmed: Evo ROM Can Be Flashed to Lancer ECU

**************************************** WARNING ***********************************
The information in this thread is to be used at your own risk. If you are unfamiliar with the EcuFlash software or how to tune and make changes in EcuFlash you can cause severe damage to your engine. I assume no responsibility for any damage that occurs as a result of improper tuning/flashing of your ECU.

This information is NOT meant for Lancers with automatic transmissions. Flashing an Evo 8 ROM onto your automatic Lancer ECU will cause your transmission to lock up and not be drivable. Flashing an Evo 8 ROM onto your automatic Lancer ECU will also cause EcuFlash NOT to be able to reflash your original Lancer ROM back to make your car drivable.
**************************************** WARNING ***********************************

This only works for 2002-2004 Lancers with manual transmissions only!

This will not work with 2005 & 2006 ECUs!

Spurred on by this thread in the Evo EcuFlash area I was able to confirm that an Evo ROM can be successfully flashed onto a Lancer ECU:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...too-low-4.html

I have no idea why nobody has tried before in the past to flash an Evo ROM onto a Lancer ECU. My guess is that people were skeptical that it would work and did not want to brick their ECU trying it. Earlier today I hooked my Lancer ECU back up and flashed my 96420008 Evo ROM onto it without issue. I was then able to re-flash my stock Lancer ROM back and again re-flash my 96420008 Evo ROM onto it.

You do NOT have to switch pins 8 and 22 like with the Evo ECU swap. All you need to do is get a Tactrix cable, an Evo ROM (Tephra's v7 ROM would be highly recommended) and a copy of EcuFlash and you can flash to your heart's content.

*However, I did not take my car out for a drive after the flash. I let it idle, without issue, for about 30 minutes. While it was idling, I couldn't even tell the difference between my Evo ECU and my Lancer ECU running the same ROM. I did not want to take it for a drive as I am still breaking in my freshly installed built engine and don't want to cause any unforeseen issues. It is still being investigated as to whether there are any hardware differences between the Evo and Lancer ECUs that will cause any response issues (i.e. the Evo ECU has faster I/O than the Lancer ECU). They share the same processor (SH7052), so that's a start. Keep an eye on the thread listed above for more info as it is looked into further.

But, for now, this is HUGE! A hundred times bigger than the Evo ECU swap itself. Enjoy!

Pete T. :mitsu:

RoadSpike Apr 25, 2010 06:07 PM

Glad to help you guys out :cool:

I'm willing to bet thanks to this success that a similar result could be had with the 2008+ lancers. I haven't done any disassembly to figure it out though :)

senate6268 Apr 25, 2010 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by RoadSpike (Post 8239862)
Glad to help you guys out :cool:

I'm willing to bet thanks to this success that a similar result could be had with the 2008+ lancers. I haven't done any disassembly to figure it out though :)

I think we all give Mitsu too much credit sometimes and don't realize that the same parts are being/can be used on different models/cars. And the 2008+ Lancers/Evos have even more in common now with engine AND body.

RoadSpike Apr 25, 2010 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by senate6268 (Post 8240213)
I think we all give Mitsu too much credit sometimes and don't realize that the same parts are being/can be used on different models/cars. And the 2008+ Lancers/Evos have even more in common now with engine AND body.

Thats for sure :)

I'm like you just stunned this wasn't tried sooner. Definitely one of the more exciting bits I've had on this forum lol.

4g94T Apr 25, 2010 08:07 PM

I just performed a test write on my ECU and it said it was successful.

I'll see if I can fire it up tonight.
Theres so much stuff on tephras V7 ROM, its confusing

JRR Apr 25, 2010 08:31 PM

hmmmm this is interesting. never thought that this could be done. keep us updated, im interested to see the longterm flash and how that goes.

that and not to thread hijack but what are the advantages to the tephra v7 mods? ive been looking into them since i did the evo ecu swap and didnt know exactly how they would effect our non evo lancers that have been turboed.

josh

RoadSpike Apr 25, 2010 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by JRR (Post 8240382)
hmmmm this is interesting. never thought that this could be done. keep us updated, im interested to see the longterm flash and how that goes.

that and not to thread hijack but what are the advantages to the tephra v7 mods? ive been looking into them since i did the evo ecu swap and didnt know exactly how they would effect our non evo lancers that have been turboed.

josh

I can answer the v7 questions.

Biggest advantage is big maps, launch control, alternate map switching for race and non race modes, valet mode, and many more cool features.

The most important thing for you guys is probably the bigger maps so you have much more resolution to handle ignition timing changes with load.

4g94T Apr 25, 2010 09:40 PM

If this works I can finally disable p0300 and other OBD inspection requirements for smog testing :D

RoadSpike Apr 25, 2010 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by 4g94T (Post 8240563)
If this works I can finally disable p0300 and other OBD inspection requirements for smog testing :D

That reminds me the tephra v7 has the forced odb inspection pass code in there so you can get rid of the darn check engine light.

link62 Apr 25, 2010 09:56 PM

im curious on what would happen if it this was done on an auto ecu? would it still control the tranny with the ecu after the flash

RoadSpike Apr 25, 2010 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by link62 (Post 8240604)
im curious on what would happen if it this was done on an auto ecu? would it still control the tranny with the ecu after the flash

I was pretty sure the ECU of all lancers didn't control the transmission.

The transmission should have its own ecu just like other cars do.

4g94T Apr 26, 2010 12:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Did I do this right?

I disabled the immobilizer, the wastegate solenoid, fuel solenoid, and if its right, P0300.

RoadSpike Apr 26, 2010 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by 4g94T (Post 8240807)
Did I do this right?

I disabled the immobilizer, the wastegate solenoid, fuel solenoid, and if its right, P0300.

Those two look good what about the other two as per senates thread?

According to senate:

Top - Bottom

FDA Periphery should be:

FEA Periphery:

4g94T Apr 26, 2010 01:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh okay thanks.

I noticed theres also F9A and FAA.
Is there anything there that I need to change?

RoadSpike Apr 26, 2010 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by 4g94T (Post 8240850)
Oh okay thanks.

I noticed theres also F9A and FAA.
Is there anything there that I need to change?

Personally I would disable lean spool its just more annoying to tune with it on.

thats 0 in the last bit on FBA

Other than that you seem set to go have fun.