Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Intake question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2004, 04:20 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Intake question

OK, I recently went back to the AEM cold air intake. After seeing the oily sludge in my intake pipe, I decided to use a catch can. So the nipple that comes off of the valve cover now goes to the breather and not back into the intake.

This of course leads to lumpy idling. I'd guess relates to the car being somewhat more rich than it would be if I'd left things alone. My assumption is that the car now is receiving less air than it expects to.

Am I "hurting" anything with the current setup? Should I look into routing the air back into the intake piping? Will things even out after I add the ported IM and TB (my assumption being that more air will help.)?
Old Jan 1, 2005, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EDIT: are you turbo?

Last edited by OZLancerlunatic; Jan 1, 2005 at 07:59 PM.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

I had an Injen CAI and even when I took it off at the end I did not have any oily sludge.

You must have run through something and sucked up the sludge. Either that or you over oiled your filter when reoiling.

WADAD

Last edited by WADADLIG_OZ; Jan 1, 2005 at 07:29 PM.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 07:47 PM
.L.
Evolved Member

dj

you have actual sludge in your intake? hmmm weird. i've never experienced this. obviously a tiny amount of oil does pass through, but nothing major. even when i switched from my rmr intake to the sds setup, i still had the hose routed to the filter. anyways i guess i really cant comment because i dont know. the only thing i remember reading is that on a n/a motor, nothing should be affected. its ok to use a breather. well thats what i remember reading anyways.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 04:16 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

OZ - no, N/A.

Wadad - no, it definitely looked like oil. It wasn't a large amount, but I decided that I'd stick with cleanliness.

Manny - thanks. Maybe I have excessive blowby, maybe I'm worrying about nothing. But either way, I'm sticking with the breather.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

I was under the impression that that hose simply sucks gasses from the head and into the intake to get burned and released, unless you were turning hard enough to toss fluids through the hose (in which case a catch can would be appropriate). So in the end you shouldn't be getting any more or less air to the intake via the hose, breather, or catch can.

I do know that a breather will fail CA's visual inspections, though. Dunno about Ohio.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 03:40 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

No, I'm not tossing fluids into the hose. It's just that some of the blowby that is mixed with the air collects in the intake. Take yours off and look. Or maybe it's just my car.

There is less air, though. The air that once went back into the intake now does not.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 10:20 AM
.L.
Evolved Member

i'm sure you'll be fine with the breather. i've used them on my previous 2 n/a cars and have never had a problem.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Could always get an oil catch can, don't those come with two hoses, one from the valve and one back into the intake to keep things running like stock?
Old Jan 4, 2005, 10:30 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Could always get an oil catch can, don't those come with two hoses, one from the valve and one back into the intake to keep things running like stock?

He said he is using it already

Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
I decided to use a catch can.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

The tube from the head is an emissions thing and to keep the oil from getting sludged up. Did you adjust anything with your throttlebody? The throttle plate should stop any blowby from passing the throttle body because it only opens when air is sucked in. Is your check engine light on? You could have a dirty mass air flow sensor or your 02 sensors and cat may not be working properly. But it definitly sounds like a rich condition.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 10:23 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

No SES light. Didn't adjust TB.

Yes, I have a catchcan. But I'm not bothering with the return line. It's just going to the can and then vented out the breather.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

In my opinion< it really doesent sound like a big problem. Just keep checking it and if you see more than there is now I would start to worry. It sounds kind of normal the way your explaining it. I would keep the stock set up if I were you.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you're just using a breather, then you wasted money on the catch can.

and did you clamp off the nozzle on the intake hose? if there's unmetered air getting in after the MAS, the it'll run really ****ty. i know, i forgot to hook it up when i installed my intake once.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 07:50 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

The catch can has a breather on the top of it, Auto. The air enters the catchcan, the oil stays in the can, and the air leaves via the breather filter (since I already said that I'm not using the return line from the can).

Yes, I capped the nozzle on the intake, so there's no unmetered air involved.

Quick Reply: Intake question