Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

What intake is the best you get for your money???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2002, 11:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am that close to pulling the trigger a cam though. Not found price effective way to do camshaft Cam wound probably be $400-$500. Nobody likes that. Cam is in head not under caps, install is work. As for 4G63, if it is from eclipse, forget it. Faces the wrong way. Turbo install better, easier, cheaper.

http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/
Old Mar 13, 2002, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not true

i talked to a guy who did it and he said it costs alot but its doable...i think i could do it but i would have to do more work than id like to.

talk to rpw and apparts about cams, they might be able to help, i think they have some cams that fit already.
Old Mar 13, 2002, 11:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
TRUE!
You are right, alot of work. $ will buy work.... You want to do core program that saves money. I got a proposition for you. Find good cams from local junk yards, whatever, and I can start a cam program. I'll pay $150 for cams and I can get a program going for $300ish. We can do similar thing with throttle bodies. Someone call dealer an price a complete T.B. I did. It is scary. Then we can talk. You know what it takes if you think about. RPW is option, I am leary of dealing with them myself. Hope you understand.

ROAD/RACE
Old Mar 13, 2002, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Hmmm all I'll say is a CONE is a CONE both are K&N there is no difference between the RRM and RMR intakes save they use different shaped filters the priciple style intake is exactly the same and I highly doubt any dealer worth their salt would call out an owner for having the RRM instead of the " endorsed RMR" especially here on the east coast where not one dealer I've talked to (not even mitsubishi's own customer service dept ) even knows who or what RMR parts are. As for the shield being there and not being there I highly doubt its making a noticable difference in engine performance save it might keep some dirt and water off your filter and that silly idea of keeping the hood duct for cold air again becuase that thing is useless when not sealed in to the intake hose path meaning if its not directly connected to your CONE its just another ugly piece of plastic. For me the deciding factor is easy; RMR(DEDICATED TO RACING THEIR CARS) and wants to rip me off and offers me no help; whereas RRM(ACTUALLY MAKING PARTS OR GETTING PARTS FOR LANCERS) and is probably the only company out there really helping us make LANCERS better and for a pretty damn affordable price at that 99vs170 for a cone filter hmm hard choice there, 280 vs 400 for muffler and is actually willing to work with owners on parts we actually want. Hate to be long winded but all I'm saying is peel off the layers of BS and you'll see whats really better. 2 Days till I get my parts and DYNO!!!:headbng2:
Old Mar 13, 2002, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

I didn't say upgrading wasn't within my warranty J Roo. I can upgrade
and I'm most definitely not restriced by who I upgrade to either as long as your MASS sensor is still there the dealer doesn't care. Second like I said the heat shield is truely useless performance wise in this car where the filter is located far enough away from the engine's side to keep any real amount of hot air from getting into the filter if it was more towards your exhaust manifold where most of your engine's heat is being sent
then the heat shield would make a difference. Next in my oppinion
that hood duct is useless because witout complete seal you're losing vacum pressure to it no matter how close it is to your filter just lift your hood one day put your hand in front of the duct and pull throttle and see how much air you feel being pulled in as opposed to the stock set-up sealed into the air box; as far as your cold air theory I highly doubt you're getting enough to truely make a difference if you were using the injen where the filter is located in a position to recieve cold air then I would say otherwise. I still think you just paid 40 bucks more than me for a dirt shield if you do any kind of puddle or mud romping if you stay on the pavement in only dry places then I spose it becomes a heat shield. I mean this could be argued about forever but I'll just say this try taking off your heat shield and duct and see if you notice a performance loss if you notice a loss of more than 2 HP than I'll these posts. :headbng2:
Old Mar 17, 2002, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

Dragon Intake

whassup......juss lettin u guys know i got the Dragon Intake put on....its pretty good.....sounds nice in higher RPM's.....thaz when it really kicks in....well ne way ill show u guys a pic.......here u go
Attached Thumbnails What intake is the best you get for your money???-dcp_0012.jpg  
Old Mar 17, 2002, 11:19 AM

That mill is dusty!!
Old Mar 17, 2002, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

I want that BREATHER!!! GIMME GIMME GIMME
Old Mar 17, 2002, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Very vicious looking filter BTW
Old Mar 18, 2002, 12:22 AM

Is anybody who got the RMR intake utilizing the stock airscoop in front of the grill ( then connecting to heat shield like the picture on RMR website?) Just curious..

http://www.rmrproducts.com/home.htm

Last edited by OZman; Mar 18, 2002 at 12:26 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2002, 12:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by J_Rooster
and finally...for 525 I got the RMR Cat and Muffler, thank you, who else got a Catback exhaust?
That'd be me, thanks.
Old Mar 18, 2002, 12:52 AM
Evolved Member

This MAF sensor thing is buggin me, I ordered the RMR intake and am wondering if it just bolts up to the back of it or what. Im new to the whole import thing, and let me tell ya finding horsepower in a 4.0 litre Jeep Wragler involved alot less headaches, and time, lol. THanks you to anyone who can help me out.

Quick Reply: What intake is the best you get for your money???