Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Pulstar Spark Plugs > Preview > Review

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2008, 12:40 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
laopadak - this is worth a read. You can find out if it's the plugs or if his problems were just a fluke...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...9&postcount=39
Old Mar 30, 2008, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thx evo_soul & blacksheep. I'll probably give it a shot since they're free. I'll just be cautious. I did read the posting earlier, I was hoping he would've stated what plugs are the correct ones. If anything, I'll PM him.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 05:29 AM

so when is this testing supposed to be done?
Old Apr 1, 2008, 06:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The plugs themselves
The plugs have taken a fantastic voyage somewhere via USPS, thru no fault of the manufacturer they shipped me sets on the 21st express, Well it left N.M. went to Ohio a day or so later, then flew on to canada a day or so after that. The only problem is, they flew the package to Vancouver Canada, I am in Ontario Canada. It sat in customs for 4 days and only a day ago was released to Canada post. Now they are going to fly it from the west coast to the east coast.

Since I am the type that likes things hear and now, I am increasingly getting annoyed waiting, and its not the first time USPS has dropped the soap when it comes to shipping. hopefully it should be here in another 3 days. they estimate was 5 days. we have passed that 5 business day mark already.

FUEL ECON

fuel economy cataloging has already started in terms of the (before configuration) with a new set of Mitsu OE plugs, (not cheap) the results would have been the same as plugs that have 25k on it. A plug that is dirt with normal wear is no less conductive then a brand new one. That is to say if you are covered in dirt and stand in the middle of a baseball field and its raining. You really think being dirty is gonna make you any less conductive. lol

But to make those nay sayers that may attempt to find fault with my science project methods. Besides doing a before and after test. There will also be a side by side fuel consumption test, something I did before when testing my aftermarket exhaust projects.

Car 1 has pulstar
Car 2 has stock plugs

They drive between two gas station points about 50km away from each other via a mid night highway drive session. going from point A gas station to point B gas station. Then from B to A.
Session two will involve a swapping of spark plugs between cars one and two and the test will be repeated to dispell any thoughts of car advantage thru some other factor.

For this second test>>>
* cost of testing fuel, time, plugs, insurance,160 dollars (60 dollars raised)
* pulstar plugs manufacturer donated,
* OE plugs (higher end plugs) retail donated

DYNO DAY

The dyno session will be April 12th at Four Star Motorsports. Unfortunately I will not be able to test the plugs on the 4B12 engine. Testing will be done on 2 Lancers one modified GTS with a Custom SRI and Custom Dual exhaust (evosoul) second car will be bone stock.

* cost .. $300 dyno and garage time ($150 subsidized)

Last edited by evo_soul; Apr 1, 2008 at 06:32 AM.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 02:18 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm Kyle, from Enerpulse. Just thought I'd introduce myself and answer any questions you might have.

Originally Posted by Bster13
These seem very similar to Nology Hotwires but the capacitor is in the plug itself rather than the wire using the same principle. They came out a few years ago:

http://www.nology.com/hot.html

Back then I wasn't into cars...anyone know what the difference is? Whether the hotwires increased performance? If they were so good, why aren't they standard issue now or big in the aftermarket?
The idea behind them is similar. Nology wires, however, require the use of a non-resistor plug and don't work well with coil over plug applications, the amount of capacitance varies with wire length, and from what I understand they didn't last well over time.

It takes a lot to become OEM, we are working on it and have yet to have a test form them not show a benefit. We need an Iridium tipped plug so we can get the 100k mile service interval though which we are working on for OEM apps. One manufacturer saw a 6% increase in fuel economy in their testing of their most popular car.

Big in the aftermarket is very difficult anymore. The largest influence of aftermarket buying anymore is online forums and blogs. I have yet to read a forum thread about Pulstar that doesn't have someone that's never seen, touched or installed the plugs talking about what a waste of money they are and how they don't work.

-Kyle
Old Apr 1, 2008, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by greatgonzer
Ok... I have these Pulstar plugs in my EVO IX. I actually even live in the city (Albuquerque, NM) that invented them and went down personally to the factory to see them being made and talk with the owner and fabricators.

Here is my experience.

1: awesome guys to talk with, Mike, Nathan, ect... all know thier stuff. Nathan is an ex-XSpower employee who now works for Pulstar. All of them were great, showed me around the factory and we talked for nearly 2 hours.

2: they gave me a set of plugs. I drove home (about 30minutes) got home and tried to install them. Realized that they gave me the wrong plugs. Too short. They gave me the base Lancer plugs and not the EVO plugs. I returned the next day and they told me that they would have the correct ones gapped and ready for me.

3: I got the correct size. They appologized and said that thier part numbers were incorrect and that they were accidentally giving out EVO guys the wrong plugs by sending them stock Lancer plugs. ok, at least I found this out prior to putting them in my vehicle.

4: I then installed the correct plugs. Ran great (for about a week). They my EVO started mis-firing terribly with the CEL light coming on. I removed the plugs and found that they were all gapped differently. Some at 50! another was set to 42, the others were both in the 30s?!!! They guys at pulstar told me that they had gapped them for me at 26? I felt stupid. I should have checked the Gap prior to inserting them into the engine. Now I will never really know if Pulstar hag gapped them correctly orginally or if there was something else going on. what was happening? So I re-gapped them and put them back. in.

5: awesome power re-juvinated my EVO. It felt like it had new legs (for about another week). Then the mis-fire came back. I pulled the plugs and the gap was way off again. I looked closely at the plugs and noticed that the tips are being eaten away causing my gap to increase. After only a month with these $100 plugs and the tips are blasting themselves apart....

So today I am going to take them all out. Check them very carefully to ensure that what I say is the truth. Then I will put back in NGK and go back to pullstar and ask them some more questions... I so much want to be a believer of this product... But lets see. If they only last a month before the tip wears down. then that is an expensive lesson...
*finally a another person with some a similiar problem i had!!! and EVO SOUL the person your talking about is ME Pulstar=Bent my valves to be exact!!! i kept my mouth shut till someone else has the problem since no one believed anything i said!!! THOSE TIPS on the Pulstar plugs dont HOLD in TEMP. for some odd reason. Mine actually MELTED if you want to get further into the story but i rather not say. Pulstar in my opinion i had no problems with my car with stock plugs. i took a risk into buying pulstar well took a risk into puting a aftermarket plug in my car (actually got them for free another story) and i paid the price!! but since i know nothings gonna come out of the companys pocket to help me so i just called it quit and never talked about it again till today!! and my EVO IS STILL DOWN "STICK WITH THE NGK's"

Last edited by Evo9"Miss Rose"; Apr 1, 2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

people said it was my tune and i totally disagree!! i was running fine with my stock PLUGS since the first time i got a tune. Untill pulstar came into my life. and thats that!!
Old Apr 1, 2008, 03:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Miss Rose, I dont have an axe to grind up or down. I try to be as impartial as possible, hell I take grains of salt every 5 minutes. I generally call things as I see it, I remember in your previous posts you were going to take pictures I am interested in seeing them. Its on thing to make an accusation but you have to follow thru with the proof. From what I have heard and seen, the failure rate has been minimal at best. Yes some faulty plugs, but from what I have seen, the company has gone a head and replaced them at their cost. I think I remember reading that on a Mazda GB thread.

I am not saying I dont beleive you, but a plug and valve arent in each others line of fire. do you still have those plugs handy, were they the right size and length.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

^^yesir they were the right size plugs, and yes i have the plugs still.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 06:00 PM
Former Sponsor

I am more personally curious to see what they look like then anything else. I have seen alot of things in my life melt, I have seen computers fry and catch fire, seen cell phone explode, even seen a piston go thru a hood. I dont dispute your claim, but I put it in the perspective that you had one hell of an experience that I havent seen before. Hense my curiosity.

I can see the melting part, but I am curious how the plug was able to interfere with the valves there is considerable space between, have you had your engine pulled apart to see what happend? I would love to see the guts of that block.

Cheers
Old Apr 2, 2008, 12:35 AM
Evolved Member

^^^^shall do!! im almost half way through my head removal so ill keep this thread updated i suppose.. ill try to get those plugs pics as well
Old Apr 9, 2008, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Evo9"Miss Rose"
^^^^shall do!! im almost half way through my head removal so ill keep this thread updated i suppose.. ill try to get those plugs pics as well
Any update on the head removal and plug pics?
Old Apr 9, 2008, 01:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Just a side note, Mitsu is releasing an EVO X for the rest of the week starting tomorrow. Waiting on final word if we are allowed to throw some plugs on it. I can only do it with permission sadly. If it is a go then we will be doing the standard before and after dyno. On a certified Bone Stock Mitsubishi PR Car. Muahaha I can picture the smoking tires now .
Old Apr 13, 2008, 09:53 AM
Former Sponsor

As I now sip on my 3 red bull (no sugar) in the past 48 hours. I am left thinking, pondering and wonder some more. This initial dyno test, labeled "Round 1", has raised more questions then answers ranging from the Pulstar plugs to rethinking my view on a few well known performance upgrades recently tested.

This review will hopefully advance the dialog further, but not yield conclusive thoughts. More testing is needed and currently being planned with added vigor. Before I being with my initial report, I would like to make a few disclosures, just to make everything clear.

I EVOSOUL am evaluating ENERPULSE's Pulstar plugs, I am not recieving any special compensation nore have I been employed by ENERPULSE in any capacity. Enerpulse has been forth coming in providing technical data and instruction as well as sending plugs for my evaluation. Fourstar Motorsports, and Mitsubishi are not affiliated nore do they endorse product. Claims, speculation, and conclusions of this product are mine and mine alone, one should excersize common sense when taking into consideration the purchase of this product. My opinion is an independent one and I will continue to exhaust all viable possibilities, situations, and doubts before making a definitive Verdict.

In other words, if the product is money in a toilet I will be frank about it.

If it is worth the money or has potential I will call it as that.

Ahhh ya, I feel better now, all that said, let me get straight to the Pulstar initial results. As has been seen the results yielded from a CVT transmission on a DYNO, the results seem lower then what should be reported. From my understanding this has been seen machines of different types,Pack, JET, Dynamics, Mustang. In any sense, for this evaluation it doesn't matter. the only thing I am concerned with is, A) if the results from repeat attempts are consistant and stable. I have run I think over 40 passes in this initial testing on two CVT equipped Lancers, and so far things look good. So try to look past the hp and tq numbers and look more towards the % gain or loss as what is more important at this stage. I have equiped EVOSOUL 1 Car with both a Dual Exhaust, and tested the pulstar plugs vs. Denso Factory plugs (default gapping) We ran cheap with the gas to similar what most people buy in terms of octane level. Again this is the initial test, we also opted for the burn in test for the ECU, what that means is, the common word out there is that when dynoing you want to reset the ECU, after speaking with Frank the owner of Four Star he said with modern ECU's the adaptation threshold is very dynamic and ECU resets are not really need unless you are doing major modifications or engine management projects. He demonstrated this to us thru the 100's of dyno pull cycles we did for the dyno day. We saw as many as 10 to 13 cars on the dyno that day and some of different makes and models, Acura RSX and the Type S versions were there, a S2000, Lancer 08 and two EVO X's. A ECU reset can trigger a longer then normal trial and error cycle for the ECU and may if not run thru its paces properly, may interfere with your results. This is not to say that this (not to reset method) is the best, but he mentioned it depends on the scenario and the car.

Moving beyond all that lets look at the results that may have you scratching your head. please view image below at a zoomed in RPM range from 1000 to 4000 RPM Our pulls on the dyno has yield results that have been some what inline with what I forcasted earlier, and that was a visible TQ performance gain in the ultra low RPM zone of the Lancer. Referring to the added benefit for CVT owners. What has thrown curve ball in that pitch was the rise in initial power and fade drop off, and then continue rise in performance. After calling around and speaking to my Mitsubishi tuning friends in Japan I believe this can be explained and improved. After crunching numbers, running thru the inputs I are currently have available to modify, I think that it is possible to iron out the performance. Timing is everything, and the smallest gap can make all the difference. Second should that be sucessful, this would lead to the possibility of creating a specific piggyback system module that would work in concert with a pulstar spark plug application. In theory blowing away the typical gain produced by these plugs. I dont want to speculate with loose numbers, but the will exceed the projections provided below.

All that said, I think the claims of pulstar are plausible, but the huge list of car makes and models will lead to bell curve of cars that work, work well, and work not so well. In time I speculate EVERPULSE will resolve this by designing plugs of different temps to join the more aggressive and demanding tuner market.

THE EVO X results, or Lack there off are delayed due to problems with the Mitsubishi EVO X donated to us. Improper 87 octane fuel was in the when it was released to us and for a performance engine like this, it makes a world of difference. out of the constant long pulls for this evo, the results were up and down and coming no where close to the other EVO X GSR by local owner who posted numbers as high as 270tq bone stock. So we never got the chance to get the plugs out to even think about trying it.

When the fuel is changed and cycled thru for a while, we will attempt it again.
That is all for now

Last edited by evo_soul; Apr 15, 2008 at 05:46 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

i tried these plugs on my evo8 and at idle it ran extremely smooth, go WOT and lots of knocks and cut outs... i ****ed with these plugs for a week making sure the gap was perfect and everything, still at WOT my car knocked.. put brand new NGK's in and all is well....
P.S. SAME THING with my buddies evo who is a tuner.... i told him my car knocks and the first thing he asked is wat plugs i have.. i told him and he laughed and said get rid of em.......

Quick Reply: Pulstar Spark Plugs > Preview > Review