Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

MAS restrictor

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2002, 01:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAS restrictor

hi people. dunno about gettin any replies, but here goes. why is it that we can over bore our throttle bodies but cant enlarge the hole on the restrictor plate?

i'm gonna try and replace the restrictor with something bigger. here's a pic of the restrictor from a 1.8 mirage. is it me or does it look like the hole is bigger?

image is from mirage1.dreamwater.com ... check them out.
Old Apr 16, 2002, 05:50 PM

MAF hole

Well, I havent taken a look at the MAF on my car, but you have to be very careful around there especially with ODBII. You can't easily touch the air before it gets counted because you mess up the flow charactoristics and, on most other cars, pull MAF codes. But you are right, we do need to expirement with what this car will allow, although I am skeptical because of this system that leans the air out by itself. I need to get my hands on the service manual and take a look at it.
Old Apr 16, 2002, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

DOn't play with it. It will lean it out. Have to add fuel to compensate for the increased air. MAF on U.S. Lancer is same as an EVO just blocked!
Old Apr 17, 2002, 05:53 AM
EvoM Guru

some 1.8 mirages swapped there's for a turbo eclipse one which is bigger and the most that happened was a check engine light. i'll try and play with it today and see if any bells and whistles go off.

has anyone seen any kind of chilton or haynes for our car or do we have to shell out a $100 or so for a service manual?
Old Apr 17, 2002, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

I wouldn't use a chiltons or a haynes manual. I have one and quite a bit of their specs are pretty far off, that's not good. Bite the bullet and get a factory service manual.

I would get an datalogger and EGT gauge before doing anything that will alter your af settings. Just an idea but, I won't be held responsible it something goes wrong. You can use a larger restrictor opening and if it throws a CE light then, disconnect the battery for 30 seconds or so, reconnect and see if the CE light comes back. If it does then, go back to the stock restrictor and reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery. By running a larger restrictor the ECU fuel maps may not be able to compensate for the increased air and it's telling you that you may be running lean. Running to lean is not good and causes engine damage. Thats why I would get an EGT gauge and some kind of datalogger that will show you what your ECU is seeing. Lancers are OBDII correct? There are OBDII software out there if you can get a cable to connect to a PC or data scan to your car's ECU. Good luck and remember that I am not responsible for what you do to your car.

Mike L.
Old Apr 17, 2002, 06:50 AM
EvoM Guru

i wasn't planning on drastically making it larger. maybe first to what the 1.8 mirages look like, then make a new one a mm bigger every 100 miles (which i do every sat).

how much does the obdII go for? i haven't plunged into anything computer related yet. just basic home mechanic stuff. struts, springs, tune up, easy stuff. how much does a shop manual go for? any good readings (whether its a month long read or not) before starting to tune?
Old Apr 17, 2002, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Air Mass Sensor

You cannot remove the restictor plate unless you fit something like an Apexi SAFC controller or equivelent as the MAS reading will be lower and hence lean the car out.

But if you do fit a piggy back computer then definitly remove the restrictor plate and hence you have a large power gain for nothing.

David Thomas
www.rpw.com.au
Old Apr 17, 2002, 08:23 AM
EvoM Guru

i've been reading that piggy backs need to be dyno tuned, which i can't really pay for. are there any plug-n-play piggybacks that would work? or how about cost effective way to configure the computer?

i wasn't planning on removing the whole thing. just enlarge maybe 2-3 mm, then move up until a CE light goes on

oh yeah, i'm not modding the actual restrictor plate. making a new one out of some thick plastic.
Old Apr 17, 2002, 08:27 AM

OBD II

Yes, The US lancer is OBDII. I REALLY want to get ahold of the literature to understand how lean the car runs to begin with. Most cars start out rich, but I read something about the lancer having a system to lean to car out. Does anyone know anything about this?
Old Apr 17, 2002, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

I think the factory manuals cost about $100.

Used laptop on ebay less than $1 grand, cable connector; depends on brand $120-300, software usually comes with the cable; not sure but, you can check.

You can use something like a apexi afc, costs $400.

If you want to do things right then there are things that you should get before starting to mess with the mas like, an egt gauge and/or O2 gauge. You'll need these mods in the long run anyways.

With the Lancers being relatively new I would guess that someplace like RRE can give you better advice than me. Since their considering doing a turbo upgrade they probably have a good idea on what you can do.

Good luck,
Mike L.
Old Apr 17, 2002, 08:38 AM

OBD II logger

This is the datalogger I use on my Talon. If you have a palm pilot you can save a bit of money instead of buying a laptop.
www.pocketlogger.com
Old Apr 17, 2002, 09:02 AM
EvoM Guru

so would i be able to use the datalogger to help configure the afc?
Old Apr 17, 2002, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

I got a dumb question....i bought a weapon r intake system (besides that fact that they send the wrong intake pipe) and i was wondering, do we leave the MAF sensor on???? And how the hell do u put it on the weapon r intake....i have no directions to lend me a hand so im asking fellow lancers......the MAF sensor is flat on the front and round on the back....what do i do???? who do i hook it up?
Old Apr 17, 2002, 09:39 AM
EvoM Guru

well imma guess here.

take off everything from the throttle body out. no, don't take off the throttle body.

so now you should have the front scoop that goes to the airbox. the airbox with the sensor still attached. and the 3" dia. rubber tubing from the throttle body to the sensor.

separate the sensor from the airbox. attach that piece you were talking about (with the flat side and round side) to where the airbox once was.

attach the filter to the circle side of the adapter.

attach the pipe to the throttle body with the rubber piece and those metal things that tighten.

attach the round end of the sensor to the other side of pipe with the other rubber thing that tightens.

and then just screw in the mount if it came with any. should be done after that.

that's basically how all the intakes go on

oh yeah, separating the airbox from the sensor is gonna be a *****. get channel locks or another open end wrench cuz the plastic inside the airbox is gonna get stripped and you'll need to hold the bolts from the inside as well as turn from the outside.

Last edited by rhyzin; Apr 17, 2002 at 09:43 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2002, 10:09 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by DJPhattRoc
I got a dumb question....i bought a weapon r intake system (besides that fact that they send the wrong intake pipe) and i was wondering, do we leave the MAF sensor on???? And how the hell do u put it on the weapon r intake....i have no directions to lend me a hand so im asking fellow lancers......the MAF sensor is flat on the front and round on the back....what do i do???? who do i hook it up?
Talk to Dem1k. He's got the weapon r installed. I'm pretty sure he didn't do it himself, but he can takes pics for you if nothing else (and I'm also fairly certain that there's one or two lying around hidden somewhere on the forums). That'd be my advice. I don't see why it'd be any different than any other intake though. Maybe that's cuz I'm not seeing the parts.

Quick Reply: MAS restrictor